Another SW theft

spoons

Grand Master
Another sad day with another collection stolen. The video of the collection looks to be modern but worth keeping our eyes peeled

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/may-the-police-force-be-with-me-someone-s-stolen-my-300-star-wars-figurines-1-7913660

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Feel for the guy, must be sickening to find that happen to you. I keep mine all locked away in a cupboard rather just displayed in an area in the house.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Brutal. Are we reaching a point in history where Star Wars is so valuable and easily flipped that collections are held in the same view as jewelry in the eyes of thieves?

I am having enough of a hard time letting go of items I'm selling. I can't imagine how it would feel to have a collection stolen. :evil:

Ian

stormcab

Sith Lord
Thanks for sharing. Always good to keep up to speed with any thefts so we all reminded just to be that bit more careful.

yoda

Sith Lord
That's terrible for the poor guy that would really piss you off :evil:
I don't really own that much valuable bits anyway myself.
I know from the pictures some guys put up on the forum there are some really valuable figures and collections that people own.
That's the negative side of putting up our collections for everyone to see :cry: I really do love all the pictures you guys put up and envy what you all own :) but there could be some dickheads also looking what we have for there own interests :evil:

threaders20

Jedi Knight
I would have thought it would to be too much hassle to steal a starwars collection and then try selling it, surely the options are very limited to here, gumtree, Facebook and ebay? Where else would you sell it, especially modern, no one goes in that section on here :)
I've just renewed my insurance after reading this. I have a big collection, but no one piece is worth more than a couple of hundred, but it does make you worry, some of the loose figures are easy enough to replace but good condition boxed items and Mocs would be very hard. Sorry to the guy for his loss

Robstyley

Sith Lord
That sucks arse, poor ****er. I hate thieves. It is something that I've thought about. If someone stole my collection I would be majorly gutted. Yes from the monetary point of view but more than that just the journey and time it's taken to collect. I would never collect again :evil:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
steve obi wan said:
Unfortunately this is the sign of our times ! and when people put everything out there on FB it makes it easier :twisted:

Unfortunately this is true, it's great to see everyone's collections but you do need to be careful. We now live in a world where 5 MOCs could be worth 10 grand, a much bigger haul than a random thief would get stealing TVs and DVD players.

sith-smith

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
steve obi wan said:
Unfortunately this is the sign of our times ! and when people put everything out there on FB it makes it easier :twisted:

Unfortunately this is true, it's great to see everyone's collections but you do need to be careful. We now live in a world where 5 MOCs could be worth 10 grand, a much bigger haul than a random thief would get stealing TVs and DVD players.

When things like the Vectis auctions hit the news, it's hardly surprising.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
sith-smith said:
edd_jedi said:
steve obi wan said:

When things like the Vectis auctions hit the news, it's hardly surprising.

Sadly that's true of course, but it's also true that Star Wars as a toy brand has gained such a reputation for being valuable thanks to vintage, that many less than knowledgeable people see any Star Wars toy and think it's worth a fortune, which in the minds of scumbags makes them targets for theft. And of course, much more dangerous than that is the knowledgeable thief...

Anyway, regardless of the value or composition of this particular victim's collection, I hope they get it back again, even if that's sadly unlikely.

x-pack

Grand Master
I wonder if the thief knew it was there or if the collection was just stumbled on during a burglary :?

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Star Wars is so famously collectable that I cringe a little when tradesmen, etc make comments like 'wow that must be worth....'. They're usually wide of the mark because they've read about 18k Fetts or whatever. I have thought that, to the untrained eye, it's like leaving jewellery on display.

Dan

Padawan
Whilst flicking through yesterdays paper (Sun) at work today I saw a snippet about this and it mentioned that the collection was worth 50k

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom