Ahsoka

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Well it looks great…but it hasn't got a lot of competition Star Wars TV wise has it?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes, this does indeed look great... BUT...

Ahsoka is my second favourite character in the whole of Star Wars behind only Luke. I wasn't previously worried in the slightest about this series despite it coming out of Disney Lucasfilm because (I believed at least) it was in the safe hands of Favreau and Filoni. HOWEVER... despite me liking season 3 of The Mandalorian overall, I'm not loving it. There are far too many non-sensical things happening and stupid story choices, plus, even though once again I do like Bo Katan very much, I am now getting very worried that it's risking turning into the Bo Katan show guest starring The Mandalorian.... And so I now find myself concerned about 'Ahsoka', because if Disney can **** up even an established and successful show like Mando, they can certainly do it with 'Ahsoka', and I don't think I could bear that. That would be me out of any and all Disney Star Wars forever... which leads me to this trailer because yes, it looks great... at first glance... But then I look a little deeper and start to worry. You see, once again I may be seeing the tell-tale non-Midas super-woke touch of Krapleen Kennedy; every good character we see is a strong female... but the only male characters of any note we see are villains (and of course they're also white males... Surprise, surprise Kathleen.... Really? AGAIN? How did you ever even get married, you're quite clearly a misandrist?).

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing. I certainly hope so as I want this show to be awesome; I want Ahsoka to kick ass in a true Star Wars show that genuinely respects the canon and the fans, and which doesn't pander to the identity politics and feminisation agenda of that Star Wars hating idiot KK and her cronies, but that worry is still there... And with Lucasfilm ludicrously also just announcing another shitty Rey film no-one asked for and which will lose a stack of money... well, let's just say it doesn't inspire much confidence in me.

Mosh

Padawan
I also know that there is a big risk of doing an unnecessary woke turn to the story. I would heavily despise that. But so far, the trailer looks very, very good.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
I thought the trailer was ok, probably the best of the trailers released. But for me, there seemed to be something off.

Hard to put my finger on it, but it looked a bit cheap to me. It had an upmarket fan-film vibe to it. Some of the costumes (like Hera) seemed a bit cos-play, as well.

I'm still hoping they pull it off, but after Disneys recent track record, I'm not holding my breath.

Really looking forward to Andor S2. Apparently, the footage shown was spectacular.

Agree with Snaketibe, the feminisation of SW is just getting tiresome. The constant stream of 'strong, independent wahmen' being rolled out was laughable.
If anybody had any doubts regarding Lucasfilms feminist agenda, this surely confirms it.

Oh, and what the **** are they thinking with this Rey movie. Its going to bomb so hard. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
I agree that they are going too far with the 'strong female' roles and there needs to be balance. However, re-watch the trailer and imagine it is 10+ years ago. How many of those characters, particularly the leads would've been men? Pretty much all of them. Women have had to put up with a male dominated World for far too long. As men, I guess we're seeing what appears to be an unfair bias and balance. Imagine how women have felt for far, far longer?

lejackal

Grand Master
A new Rey film is not aimed at vintage collectors, who number very few in the fan base, it's aimed at all the newer, younger fans that will keep the brand alive, regardless of a bunch of grumpy old farts like it or not

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
I've no problem with female characters. We all grew up with fantastic female characters, such as Ripley, Leia, Connor etc.
I just think its going too much the other way, which is just as bad as a male dominated cast.
A healthy mixture of role models is required, for both sexes.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I agree. I have zero problem with GOOD (as in well-written, believable, canonical) female (or male, for that matter) characters, and as indicated above, both Ahsoka and Bo Katan definitely fall into that bracket, as do Sabine Wren and Hera if it comes to that. I have no problem with female characters, non-white characters, gay characters, trans characters or anything else, provided they're not simply there to tick a virtue signalling or diversity box and serve no other function. I hate prejudice and bigotry in ALL its forms, but I also hate sloppy, poorly written stories and a callous and deliberate disregard for established canon.

If, when George started Star Wars back in the 70's, there was an over-emphasis on male characters in Star Wars (although it's only fair to point out just what a trailblazer Princess Leia was. No helpless damsel in distress was she; in fact she held her own and took no prisoners right from the off), and some kind of rebalancing was required, that's certainly not the case now. The answer to too many male characters is not too many female ones. Two wrongs don't make a right, and as stated by Twin30mm above, a healthy mixture is the correct response, provided it remains believable and canonical. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the current trope seen in virtually all film and TV these days where some skinny, 100 pound, 4 foot 6 girl-boss is fighting off muscled 6 foot men three times her size, throwing them around like they're ragdolls, instead instantly losing every fight with one punch. That's what was so good about Gina Carano's casting as Cara Dune, because you take one look at Gina and you believe she actually could have been a Shocktrooper. You wouldn't have got the same reaction if they'd cast Emilia Clarke in the role (who is lovely, a terrific actress, but not exactly imposing physically). And with Princess Leia, her toughness wasn't an ability to physically fight off opponents, but rather she used her head to outwit them, whilst simultaneously taking no crap; a believable, well-written character in other words.

The problem with Hollywood currently and with KK's Lucasfilm in particular is that there is no more goodwill or benefit of the doubt left to give from many fans like myself. Too many fingers and bridges have been burnt (anyone remember being called both racist and sexist by Lucasfilm for not loving the sequel trilogy? Because I do. They pulled the same crap with Reva BEFORE the dreadful 'Obi-Wan Kenobi' series even aired! People disliked Reva because the character was neither likable nor believable - impaled twice by a lightsaber in exactly the same way that killed Qui-Gon Jinn? You'll be fine!). They're not interested in either equality or believability, but rather in the dominance of women and the subjugation of men, and I will oppose that just as strongly as the dominance of men and the subjugation of women.

The Force is not female. The Force is and always has been for everyone.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
A new Rey film is not aimed at vintage collectors, who number very few in the fan base, it's aimed at all the newer, younger fans that will keep the brand alive, regardless of a bunch of grumpy old farts like it or not
Well it's certainly not being aimed at toy-buyers, that's for sure. Hasbro must be cursing KK's name more than me ;).

sith-smith

Grand Master
I loved the trailer, even more so when they showed the special version in the Ashoka panel at CE. I'm a sucker for things that tug at my nostalgic strings and Thrawn and references to Heir to empire tugged massively, as it was that book (heir to the empire) which re-awoke my love of star wars and the toys of my childhood back in 1992. That's when I started collecting. :cool:

I love the Ashoka Character from The clone wars and rebels and it is great to see live action rebels characters too.

So I have high hopes and am greatly looking forward to this.

DarthHamblin

Jedi Master
I'm looking forward to it, the trailer looks good and what I can make out I think the characters and story will be good also. But agree with other comments on the downfall of the mandalorian from season 2 which I really enjoyed I think season 3 was a bit of a letdown. And yes there should be a balance of characters but sometimes the male villains are just as interesting and iconic as the hero's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom