Paypal Gift Payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Due to a few common sense malfunctions recently, I have decided to ask sellers not to request Paypal Gift payments. Buyers are then at least partially protected from new 'strangers' joining the forum and taking people's money. Sellers, please factor Paypal fees in to your asking prices.

NOTE - buyers are welcome to OFFER to make Paypal gift payments. This is entirely at the buyers risk, and buyers should not request this unless they trust the seller. There will be no sympathy for anybody that gets scammed because they made a Paypal gift payment. And please remember all sales activity on this forum is at your own risk (that goes for buyers AND sellers.)

If anybody gets asked to make a gift payment, please direct them to this thread as they may not have seen it.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
I believe he is and fees on these payments ate typically about 4% of the value of the goods.

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Hi guys I know I'm pretty new here but these two rules have been enforced on the forums I have used before and I think there pretty good, may these be considered?
1 you have to own the items you are selling and 2 everything is sold with a 7 day full refund minus shipping costs?

swardchill

Padawan
Am I right in thinking the seller would have to send all items by recorded delivery to cover themselves? Cheers

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
swardchill, I would always send items recorded these days. Not that I dont trust the post system, you just cant argue that you havent received something if there is a proof of delivery by way of signature for it.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
swardchill said:
Am I right in thinking the seller would have to send all items by recorded delivery to cover themselves? Cheers

Yes, assuming the buyer pays for this service. It is not the seller's responsibility to fork out for more expensive tracked shipping if the buyer refuses to pay for it. Basically, use your common sense. If you're buying from somebody you know, you don't need to be so cautious. If you're not, do it the proper way.

Bramistuta25

Sith Lord
I agree with this, but just a word of caution...

I would always send recorded and with appropriate insurance as it covers you both and should anything happen then it won't sour a relationship.

Just from previous experience as I did a deal recently (NOT WITH A FORUM MEMBER) and the guy explicitly askedfor NO insurance and when they turned up, said they were damaged and wanted a full refund.

Paypal will pretty much always agree with the buyer as it is the sellers responsibility to cover them selves.

Word to the wise - "Always insure"...

Hope this helps.

Bram

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Another forum I visit has just brought in a similar rule. Looks like people are starting to take advantage sadly.

Requiring of gift payment or the buyer to pay additional fees above the sale price is no longer allowed on NintendoAge. - 02/20/2013 10:17 AM
Please see the latest update to the FAQ:

PAYPAL PAYMENTS: When selling items on NintendoAge, if you choose to accept PayPal as a form of payment, we ask that you fall in line with their Term of Service (TOS), which means:

1. In your B/S/T thread, you cannot ask for additional money or percentage of payment to cover PayPal fees (or any other type of fee or charge). This breaks PayPal's TOS and makes YOU look like a cheap-ass. Just include these fees in your asking price ahead of time.

2. In your B/S/T thread, you cannot require "Gift" payments. This breaks PayPal's TOS and puts users on NintendoAge at risk because it eliminates buyer protection. This, in turn, creates a lot of work for moderators and admins, and since NintendoAge is FREE, you're risking ruining the system you're already getting for free. Don't think of their fees as paying 3%, think of it as saving 7-20% not having to pay listing fees.

If you and the buyer/seller come to different terms, privately, that's fine, but that's at your own risk. You cannot walk away from an agreed-upon deal because the buyer would not meet your private requirements. All requirements must be made upfront in your thread. The rules laid down in the thread, if no other terms are agreed upon privately, must be upheld. If you decide to send payment as Gift after we've recommended against it, and the deal goes South, the moderators and admins on NintendoAge will point-blank ignore your complaint.

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
EmperorNapolean said:
Hi guys just to add Paypal gift payments can and do get reversed.

I have just spoken with 2 people in paypal and they said, 100% no way, will a Gift Payment be reversed.....end of. :(

They won't even let you open a dispute.....I had to laugh though, the girl was saying "I see s lot of gift payments on your account, you should really stop doing that..."
:lol: :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Maybe he means a chargeback? Also you can reverse a payment if it is unclaimed, eg sent to an email address that doesn't exist (I did this last week :oops: )

EmperorNapolean

Padawan
PAYPAL GIFT PAYMENTS can be reversed, I have had 2 reversed this week.

It appears people can fund gift payments via a credit card and direct debit bank transfer, they may have to pay the fee (1-3%) but they can be reversed.
As the recipient you do not know the funding source.

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
EmperorNapolean said:
PAYPAL GIFT PAYMENTS can be reversed, I have had 2 reversed this week.

It appears people can fund gift payments via a credit card and direct debit bank transfer, they may have to pay the fee (1-3%) but they can be reversed.
As the recipient you do not know the funding source.

Hi

I would appreciate if you can you tell me who you contacted for this?....I have spoken to paypal on numerous occasions over a recent issue and everytime, each person said 100% that they will not reverse a gift payment....no way. I tried to plead my case but everytime'Gift payment' was mentioned they said absolutely not....contact the other person to send it back, they wont even let me open a dispute case.

Are you saying if the other person is agreeable etc maybe?

EmperorNapolean

Padawan
Hi there, this is from experience, 3 weeks ago I had 2 paypal gift payments reversed.
The reason was due to the sender having insufficient funds in their bank account or on their credit card.
As a seller your account is just debited the whole amount.

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
EmperorNapolean said:
Hi there, this is from experience, 3 weeks ago I had 2 paypal gift payments reversed.
The reason was due to the sender having insufficient funds in their bank account or on their credit card.
As a seller your account is just debited the whole amount.

I see, that's a bit different I would guess, I sent the money gift for a purchase and now paypal won't reverse it......on a different note, I'm wondering how a sender can do that, my paypal ac won't let me pay if I don't have the money in it?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Dublinjeff said:
on a different note, I'm wondering how a sender can do that, my paypal ac won't let me pay if I don't have the money in it?

It takes 3 or 4 days (at least) from the time I buy something with paypal until it actually comes out of my account. So perhaps they buy it with the funds available, but then empty the account straight after.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
May have to change this soon to no "Friends and Family" payments now Ed as Paypal have changed the title of this type of transaction on Oz and Canada Paypal. Has it changed for you guys yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom