Would like a carded Boba Fett for display purposes

waves of light

Padawan
Hi,

Please take it easy on me, this is my first post, I don't mean to offend hardcore collectors nor do I wish to get flamed. What I am after is basically a display item. I'm not looking to start a collection, or looking to sell it on ebay later to make a profit.

So what I was wondering, what is the best way to get a cheap Boba Fett carded figure? What would I be looking at spending? Would purchasing a TT version be cheaper (like I said, I'm not looking to plant this on ebay as real, or make a profit). Or would it be cheaper to buy a baggie Fett and stick it in a custom card?

I never had Boba Fett as a kid and would love to have him on display in my office.

All the best,

Ricky.

P.S. Have to say, this site is a raft of information, I spent most of yesterday going through the Vintage threads. I cannot get over how many variations there are, different cards, bootlegs, etc. It has made interesting reading.

walkie

Sith Lord
How's this for a option, not TT crap and not strictly vintage but it's a licensed product...

Boba Fett (2010) - Rocket-Firing Mail Away

TVC-1592.jpg

More info here... http://www.rebelscum.com/TVCexBobaFettRocket.asp

waves of light

Padawan
Hi Walkie,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I've seen a few of these kicking around on ebay and this might be an option if I can't get my hands on a TT or decent priced vintage. Maybe I should have put 'vintage' in the title, sorry about that. I've seen a ESB-a Fett baggie for £50 in the uk and a custom tricard back for £10, so about £70 all in with packaging. But I don't know if purchasing a fake TT would be cheaper, I don't even know if people are selling them due to being pee'd off (and rightly so) with the whole scandal. I just want something that looks good, but not for collection purposes or resale.

Thanks again.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
A toy Toni Rotj will run to about £300 ish.

The only baggies that ended up on cards were trilogo miscards I believe so that idea wouldn't look right.

Repro card backs look **** and encourage naer do wells to make them.

Perhaps get a nice vintage card back and display it in front of a nice loose vintage figure if modern isn't your thing.

I know it sounds harsh but these things cost what they cost. I want a Ferrari but I can't have one. Life's like that sometimes.

waves of light

Padawan
Thanks Mr-Shifter,

I noticed on ebay that there were a couple of suspected TTs hitting the £200-£300 mark (Luke farm boy and Han Hoth). That's crazy, but I suppose you're still getting a near mint Fett... but still.

Good idea about the vintage card back and loose vintage, that might be the best route to go down. I'm scared that if I end up buying a couple of items I will become hooked; there are so many beautiful examples out there, if you have the cash.

How much do non-TT Fetts go for, I might look at saving up for a real one? Like you say, things cost what they cost and starting to realise that a genuine one would look better than a fake or repro.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
I suppose it depends which cardback you'd like. For what they cost I'd be tempted to go for the rocket firing Fett, at least initally.

I only collect vintage and this is the one modern piece I have (it was too cheap to miss) and it's really nice. From a distance the figure looks vintage to all but the trained eye, and the cardback is sympathetically done. However the rear of the cardback is modern and not in keeping with the vintage look.

waves of light

Padawan
Well, I ended up getting a ESB-a Boba Fett baggie and a 2010 mail away Rocket Firing Boba too. The mail away is MOC, so I may send it to ukgraders, just so it comes back in a nice display case. I don't think the baggie would grade (as the baggie has slits where it's degraded) but I would like to find a decent display case for him.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Speak to frunkster (frank) about the Baggie cases. He has loads of baggies and has tried every way under the sun of displaying them. He will be able to give you some ideas and probably has some photos of his stuff on display.

waves of light

Padawan
Mr-shifter said:
Speak to frunkster (frank) about the Baggie cases. He has loads of baggies and has tried every way under the sun of displaying them. He will be able to give you some ideas and probably has some photos of his stuff on display.

Funnily enough it was Frank I bought the baggie off. I will PM him and see what he thinks is best.

Cheers,
Ricky.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Glad to hear you got the rocket firing Fett - I hope you're happy with it!

If you don't really want to grade the MOC you couldn't do any better than getting a case from GW Acrylic.

waves of light

Padawan
Really happy with both tbh. Baggie on the Fett is bad, but I knew this and was happy to take the risk. The Rocket Firing Fett is very nice too. It's the VC03 version, which I believe was only available via mail away. Card is superb, the figure is mint.

I'm going to email uk graders and see what there advice is re. Grading a split baggie, don't know what their lowest grade is, or at what point they don't grade something. It would be nicer graded and in a similar perspex package to the RF Fett.

Failing that, I will contact Frank or check out GW acrylic.

Cheers.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
They will grade baggies with splits in as long as the figure can not be removed, I think the discolouration will be more of an issue than the baggie condition though I know its bad, if you ask Steve he is always happy to do baggies in these custom style cases without grading, as I had a few done for a friend stateside like that, I was going to have all mine done like that, but due to the work needed on making the custom cases its the same price with or without grading, so I ended up having mine graded.

Steve also does very nice slid bottom cases for MOC's

waves of light

Padawan
Frunkstar said:
They will grade baggies with splits in as long as the figure can not be removed, I think the discolouration will be more of an issue than the baggie condition though I know its bad, if you ask Steve he is always happy to do baggies in these custom style cases without grading, as I had a few done for a friend stateside like that, I was going to have all mine done like that, but due to the work needed on making the custom cases its the same price with or without grading, so I ended up having mine graded.

Steve also does very nice slid bottom cases for MOC's

Thanks Frank. I've read on the FAQs that if they can't grade a figure, they will let you know and still offer a price for just the case. That would still work for me.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
waves of light said:
Really happy with both tbh. Baggie on the Fett is bad, but I knew this and was happy to take the risk. The Rocket Firing Fett is very nice too. It's the VC03 version, which I believe was only available via mail away. Card is superb, the figure is mint.
You can't go wrong buying from Frank! :)

Yeah, my Rocket Firing Fett's exactly the same - glad you're pleased with it.

waves of light

Padawan
You're not wrong!

Gotta be careful, or I'm going to have to retract my first comment, about not wanting to start a collection. Man, you can easily get hooked on these things. So many beautiful examples of loose figures and carded figures.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom