Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trilogoman

Padawan
And is there anybody in the world who buys these bootlegs? 500 dollars seem a bit surreal for this...

Joe

Grand Master
Haha are you joking? :D

Some of the most expensive SW items in collecting are bootlegs, Polish, Hungarian, Mexican, Turkish- People LOVE them!

Joe

Grand Master
Some recent sales :

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=5&Board=UBB29&Number=4279401&Forum=f29&Words=HUNGARIAN&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=4279401&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post4279401

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=5&Board=UBB29&Number=4192441&Forum=f29&Words=HUNGARIAN&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=4192441&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post4192441

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=5&Board=UBB29&Number=3959690&Forum=f29&Words=HUNGARIAN&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=3959690&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post3959690

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=5&Board=UBB29&Number=3902908&Forum=f29&Words=HUNGARIAN&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=3902908&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post3902908

trilogoman

Padawan
Now these are really surreal prices... :eek:
I heard that here in Hungary lots of people glue pieces of these Hungarian bootlegs together and sell them as original...

Joe

Grand Master
Not surprising, I guess when dealers and collectors realised they could sell them to the Yanks and Euros for big $$ they did whatever they could to find items to sell.

It happens in Mexico also- fakes and pieced together production / bootleg figures just to sell.

Many of the big bootleg guys have a lot more experience than even the sellers though so by now they know what to look for.

Its a good decision for you to possibly buy some future bootlegs when you see them ;)

Joe

Grand Master
Buy some Hungarian carded bootlegs for 25$ and you can finance a Madine Trilogo soon enough :lol:

trilogoman

Padawan
But when a bootleg costs 25 dollars it's surely fake, isn't it? And what can I do with a bootleg which is also fake?

Joe

Grand Master
There are always bargains to be had :) If your friend knew as much about Hungarian bootlegs as you did till five minutes ago then he probably had no idea they were worth money :)

Not everyone has access to the internet or the information, thats why you find cool stuff in antique stores etc.

Besides -if you buy one for 25 it wont be the end of the world to research it to find out if its real , better 25 bucks than 125 bucks - if its real you go back and buy more ;)

trilogoman

Padawan
That is the strange thing because this friend of mine started selling Star Wars stuff lots of years ago and he is on the internet as well so he must know the prices. That is why I think all of his bootleg stuff was fake he just wanted to get rid of them or needed the money fast or something like that...

Joe

Grand Master
Hopefully some real ones turn up one day for you then, you might even end up collecting them!

Some people get really into collecting items from their own country, its nostalgic and a part of them to some extent :)

Good luck on the tri hunt and enjoy the forum!

tigerham

Sith Lord
Hello and welcome Trilogoman (sorry I dont know your name) ;) Jus winding Emiel up dude. Welcome aboard Peter. :D

skinman

Youngling
Hi, my name is Dirk and I'm located in Colorado, USA. I'm 43 and have several totes full of my old Star Wars toys. Sadly, there are lot of items that have either been thrown out or disappeared over the years (my Death Star playset and my X-Wing come to mind).

I was poking around eBay, trying to get an idea of how to sell off my remaining toys and I found that I didn't understand any of the abbreviations being used. So I Googled "COO" and fortunately landed here.

Some of my figures and playsets are in pretty good shape. Most of them aren't. I marked a lot of my figures so I could differentiate mine from those of my friends. Now I look at those markings and I want to pull my hair out. The "x" carved in the back of my tall, blue snaggletooth is particularly irritating. Oh well, I had no concept of "rare" back then. I have managed to hold onto most of my guns though. So my younger self wasn't completely airheaded.

I've already soaked up a lot of advice in the short time I've been here. One thing I could use is a good (and free) image hosting site. Anybody have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

paulaura

Padawan
Hi all. Ive been a member here for quite a while, but havent been on for a long time.

Had a bit of a collecting break, but back into it now, so thought Id say hi . :)

PGowdy

Grand Master
Hey Dirk. Welcome to the site.
Any more abbreviations you don't understand just post them here and people will help you out. COO means "country of origin" which you will find stamped somewhere on most figures. Usually on the back of their leg.
A good site to loads photos is photobucket.com. Once your photo is uploaded there it will give you an IMG code which you copy and paste here in a message and the picture will appear.
Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom