Types of Collections

vadersman

Youngling
I am in the process of researching what type of collection I would like.

I now know to avoid U-Grade
Do I collected carded figures?
Do I collect loose figures?
Do I aim my collection at the 77 original figures?
Do I try and get variations of each figure?
Do I try and get AFA graded figures over non graded figures?

I know this is all down to personal choice and of course budgets, but I would be interested in any thoughts & comments on this.

Damon

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
Best advice IMO is what you are comfortable spending. There are so many different avenues when collecting SW and that's great as if you're anything like me you'll chop and change what you are collecting and what focus you have.....
Personally I'd go for carded figures, but that is just my preference.
Good luck in your collecting

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Firstly, welcome to the forum, you're in the right place ;)

Secondly, you're right, it's a personal choice as to what you collect and you will probably change your mind or shift focus several times throughout but I would start small first off. Try not to go mad right off the bat and invest £1000's in AFA graded figures.

Most folks start off with a loose figure collection, there's loads out there and totally affordable way of getting your feet wet in the hobby.

If you're not sure about a sale, or need advice, there's no such thing as a stupid question when you're starting out, we'll all be happy to help.

Cheers and good luck :)

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Look at other peoples collections here http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=2
See what clicks with you.

Ask yourself what motivates you as a collector and what will bring you more pleasure - what's going to make you smile the most when you look at it

For some the hunt of finding a hard to find variant is the main driver - can take years but obviously the satisfaction is high
Others search for items that are in incredible case fresh condition and look amazing on display.

For me it's about remembering/reliving the SW years of my childhood, I love the nostalgic feeling a get when I look at my toys. I've picked up several figures and vehicles that I didn't have as a kid which is a great experience as well.

You'll get loads of inspiration on her - I've recently bought some SW weekly comics after reading about others on the forum doing the same, what a blast from the past, pages full of great art and old adverts.

Look at other collections, try a little of everything, see what makes you smile :D

sith-smith

Grand Master
I think that a complete set of loose figures is always the best way to start.

It's achievable and quite affordable (depending on condition), fairly easy to display, will give you a taste of collecting, help teach you a lot of the knowledge/skills needed to collect and along the way let you know if star Wars is really something you want to get into and possibly open up your eyes to other areas.

If it's not for you then you won't have spent masses of money or time and selling them would be easy to you'd probably get all your money back.

You seem to be pretty much focussed on just the figures, which might suggest a route into MOC. That can be very enjoyable and diverse. You may also consider a character, them or film focus as well.

The options are pretty much endless

But ultimately the best way to collect is to get stuff you want/can afford and take your enjoyment from that.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
As a wise guy once told me, you do not need to search for a focus, the focus will find you :wink:

Collect what you would like to collect. First I started to collect looses, then vehicles, then moc and boxes and later variants etc. etc.

Good luck :wink:

sith-smith

Grand Master
Pomse2001 said:
First I started to collect looses, then vehicles, then moc and boxes and later variants etc. etc.

Good luck :wink:

That's how I started...and so far it's cost me a fortune!! :shock:

Paul Armory

Padawan
I think you will find that when you do decide on what run you begin with that something else will find it's way into your collection too. For example you decide upon beginning your collection with a nice loose collection you may end up adding a carded figure here or there or maybe a loose ship or a boxed ship.

Just a thought :)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
The joys of being a new collector, it is the most fun time! :) My advice is to take your time, although it's very tempting to dive in and buy everything we regularly see people do this and then a couple of months later selling most of it because they either spent too much or realised they don't need most of it.

A loose set of the first 77 is a great way to start as they're not super expensive (you could probably do the full set for £5-600 if you buy wisely) and they don't take up a huge amount of space either. AFA graded will cost you at least double if not triple so it depends if you are comfortable with that (and bear in mind with loose figures you often pay more for the grading than the figure itself is worth - eg a graded Klaatu will cost you at least £20 for a figure that is only worth £6-7.)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Great advice from everyone. If I was starting from scratch again, knowing what I know now I would certainly decide on some sort of focus from day one and stick to it. Since I have stuck with a focus, collecting has been much more rewarding for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide and look forward to seeing your collection grow.

vadersman

Youngling
Thank you guys for your kind messages.

I think I will start on an initial loose collection of figures. I can always splash out on a couple of AFA graded figures if I want to.

Thank you, and I will keep you updated with my purchases.

Damon

maxf

Jedi Master
Plenty of people dabble and collect a few cool things which they like the look of or enjoyed as a child. If you're one of these, just enjoy it - find some stuff you like and don't get too hung up on completing stuff. If you don't like Yak Face because he was crap in the films, don't buy him! Stick a few nice items on a shelf above your desk and enjoy a wave of childhood nostalgia.

Then there are a couple of types of 'all in' collectors - by that I mean, really committed collectors; giving up other things so they can collect SW.

The hoarder - these guys want one or more of EVERYTHING. The ultimate completists. If it's got SW on it, they collect it. If this is you, get saving for the loft conversion - the divorce will be your most expensive purchase. The lesser-hoarder will just go for one of every toy, rather than soap dishes and cereal boxes.

The museum curator - these guys spend as much on lighting and display cases as carded figures (not quite, but you get my drift); they are building a museum in their home. The rich ones might be building a prototype museum and others might be building a museum based on their favourite character or scene. I fit into this group - I like order and I like my stuff contained in one area of the house.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom