The LEGO Corner

sith-smith

Grand Master
I have both but only built the Village...which is pretty awesome to say the least.

Of the two I think I'd always go for the Sandcrawler, but that's also one of my favourite Vintage toys so a bit biased.

sith-smith

Grand Master
jedisearcher said:
Double Lego VIP points from the 7th - 22nd March on all purchases guys! Plus free Easter chicken man ha!

Is this definitely happening in the UK?

Can't see it mentioned on the Lego site, unless I'm being completely thick/blind! :?

sith-smith

Grand Master
Ha! :D :D

I'm saving them up for when I have the extension built, as that's the only time I'll have room for them. If pieces were around for ever I wouldn't be in a rush, but having seen what's happened to the modular sets for example, I don't want to pay a fortune in the future for something I could have got now for a lot less.

Plus it's double points! 8) :D :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
sith-smith said:
Ha! :D :D

I'm saving them up for when I have the extension built, as that's the only time I'll have room for them. If pieces were around for ever I wouldn't be in a rush, but having seen what's happened to the modular sets for example, I don't want to pay a fortune in the future for something I could have got now for a lot less.

Plus it's double points! 8) :D :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Can't disagree with any of that Gary!! :D

What's the extension for then? Opening a toy museum? :lol: :lol:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
The Lego Sandcrawler was introduced on May 4th 2014, so it may (only may) be withdrawn on 4th May this year. I do somehow doubt it but you never know. Lego almost always allow their sets up to 2 years on the shelf, but things like the Death Star had a lot longer where as other sets get a shorter time. Was the UCS B-Wing really 2 years?

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
I don't think the B-Wing made 2 months let alone 2 years :)
In all seriousness I think it was Put on half price after 12 months and done away with. Always felt it was hard done by as the end product is a lovely looking ship.

The Ewok village isn't seen as an UCS so will be around for a bit, and I believe it is a good seller, it is a great looking set and a fun build, if you can display it with the Endor bunker set it looks great.

The Death Star is being upgraded this year so literally as the current one goes end of life the new one will spring up with an UCS tag, we know the Hoth Base out for May 4th is an UCS and there is an UCS Snowspeeder due at some point, so that is three new SW UCS in one year. I can't see the sandcrawler being pulled just yet, but with the Tie fighter and Slave 1 still on shelves as well, Lego won't want 6 UCS on the go at once.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Havent posted many photos of late as i have been working on putting shevles and building this up Lego wise, but the SW lego is coming along now, i have a smaller Super Heroes shelve and some other bits and bobs.

still got some whopper sets to build :)

Attachments

• shelves2.jpg
    shelves2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 266

MarkG

Jedi Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
MarkG said:
I'm kicking myself for not picking up the BTTF Delorean...... going for over £100 nowadays !! :(

Jesus? Really? I was cutting back the Lego business at the time but did want to buy a shed load of these and Ecto1 as it was obvious they were going to go wild, but £100 already? Nuts. I just have one of each. I want the Big Bang Theory set but justifying £50 on such a small set when I still need the SandCrawler and GBHQ is hard...

When Ecto 1 was released I couldn't get down to the local LEGO shop to buy one as I thought it would sell out quick..... They had loads of BTTF Deloreans too...but of course passed on that one. Some LEGO sets seem to be hitting high prices lately. The 2007 UCS Millennium Falcon is now over £4k !!!

I bought the original '7190' little one back in the day, and sold it just over a year later without figures for triple bubble...

They always said put your money into bricks & mortar..... seems like it should be just bricks now.... little ones !!

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Funny you mention Lego as a place to sink your cash. Not every set does well but there are a lot of sets out there are a lot that have done well, and for the most part there are hardly any sets that have lost money in recent times (Lone Ranger, Galaxy Squad maybe)...

Anyway, I remember reading this over Christmas, yes it is in the torygraph but hey still an amusing read - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/shares/lego-a-better-investment-than-shares-and-gold/

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
What's over looked by the Lego investors are the City sets. Nope, you won't get rich buying the always repeated Fire station and Police station sets, but buy the odd ones (Coastguard, Tractors, Cargo plane, Space sets) and you will make far greater multiples on the smaller sets than you will on the franchise sets. I found this out to my amazement when clearing out my collection. Smaller City sets retired for over a year tend to go for 3 or 4 times the original purchase price if you buy right.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
ScruffyLookingNH said:
What's over looked by the Lego investors are the City sets. Nope, you won't get rich buying the always repeated Fire station and Police station sets, but buy the odd ones (Coastguard, Tractors, Cargo plane, Space sets) and you will make far greater multiples on the smaller sets than you will on the franchise sets. I found this out to my amazement when clearing out my collection. Smaller City sets retired for over a year tend to go for 3 or 4 times the original purchase price if you buy right.

That's really interesting, when you read up on the Lego sites most people tend to ignore CITY like the plague. Some of the sets are really cool, maybe they get good returns because the big speculators just aren't interested in them. I'd have preferred if you'd said avoid at all costs because now I feel obliged to be interested :roll:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
jedisearcher said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:

That's really interesting, when you read up on the Lego sites most people tend to ignore CITY like the plague. Some of the sets are really cool, maybe they get good returns because the big speculators just aren't interested in them. I'd have preferred if you'd said avoid at all costs because now I feel obliged to be interested :roll:

That's exactly it. The speculators and dealers (such as I was) always went for the franchise stuff and in particular SW: guaranteed returns. I only had a dozen city sets because I had picked them up here and there is they were 50% off and I liked them. When it came to selling a couple of years later I thought I'd do well to get my money back. I got a major shock! sets that were RRP £20 and I'd picked up for £10 I was getting £40-£50 for. The Tractor, Fire plane and Museum break in flew off the shelf.

MarkG

Jedi Master
Really must start looking at those 'not so nice' sets a bit more..... could retire in a few years.. :lol:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Oh man! No fair! I've just received a Big Bang Ideas set, a little Disney set for my daughter (so got the free Olaf polybag for me :D but the wife has nicked the Easter chicken!!) but I neeeeeed the Sandcrawler. And absolutely must own the GBHQ! Double points.....so tempting!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom