SWTOTW, Week 43, 2018, Part 1/2 Jabba The Hutt Action Playset

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Plastikheld said:
This is one of my all time favourite playsets (beneath the Ewok Village).
I loved it as a kid, the playvalue was immeasurable.
The Jabba playset is one of my earliest childhood Star Wars memories, when I visited my grandparents in Hamburg.
When I arrive, the playset was already put on my bed ... just for no special reason. No birthday or sth. like that. One of the biggest surprises I was ever made.

So this was one of the first I needed to have as an adult collector, also was able to get my hand on the line-art version.

Me and my grandma - the only picture I have from my childhood with Star Wars toys to be seen.
My two favourite toys at this time: Jabba Playset and the Ewok Village
Great story, great photo and a great couple of boxes you have there! I always like seeing old photos of kids with their Star Wars toys. Sadly, I don't have any of me playing with mine, so it's nice to relive those days through other people's photos.

Many thanks for sharing :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
peekaygee73 said:
Nice Jabbas guys!

I never had this as a kid, but for some reason I'm really attracted to the Sears 'line art' box version - it's on my list of things I'd like nut I've still not snagged an reasonably priced one.

Thanks mate for the kind words :D what is the sears line ? :?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Plastikheld said:
The Jabba playset is one of my earliest childhood Star Wars memories, when I visited my grandparents in Hamburg.
When I arrive, the playset was already put on my bed ... just for no special reason. No birthday or sth. like that. One of the biggest surprises I was ever made.

So this was one of the first I needed to have as an adult collector, also was able to get my hand on the line-art version.

OmaJabbaundich.jpg

Me and my grandma - the only picture I have from my childhood with Star Wars toys to be seen.

jabbaplayset.jpg

jabba_searslineartbox.jpg

Great story mate :wink: and cool that you have a picture from your childhood with jabba the hutt 8)

The white jabba box was it a mail box ? or was it sold like that in the stores ?

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
Plastikheld said:

Great story mate :wink: and cool that you have a picture from your childhood with jabba the hutt 8)

The white jabba box was it a mail box ? or was it sold like that in the stores ?
That's the 'line art' box by Sears that I mentioned :)

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Plastikheld said:

Fantastic story and photo - those 'for no reason' presents are always the most memorable ones! That line art box looks in great condition.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
peekaygee73 said:
Pomse2001 said:
Plastikheld said:

That's the 'line art' box by Sears that I mentioned :)

ok thanks :D is sears a guy or a company ?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:
Sears in the USA is a department store chain.

thanks, I did not know that :shock: so they had there own jabba the hutt box ? why ? and did they had any other boxes that was only sears with vintage star wars ? :?

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
peekaygee73 said:
Fantastic story and photo - those 'for no reason' presents are always the most memorable ones! That line art box looks in great condition.
Thank you - bought the Sears box as MISB, but it's double taped (yellowing tape) ... so I'm not sure, if this is genuine or re-sealed.
Until I have no proof of a re-seal, I won't open it. 8)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Plastikheld said:
peekaygee73 said:
Thank you - bought the Sears box as MISB, but it's double taped (yellowing tape) ... so I'm not sure, if this is genuine or re-sealed.
Until I have no proof of a re-seal, I won't open it. 8)

Sounds like a good idea not to open it before you have a proof :D

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I love this set. It's the only playset I currently own. You've got to have Jabba in your collection. He's an awesome villain, and Jedi is a great movie because of the Jabba's Palace scenes.

Some nice sets guys. Here's mine. Like Jeremy I seem to have picked up the tri logo instructions instead of the ROTJ ones so something I'll need to hunt down. :lol:
I also have the pieces in and out of baggies so I can play with it :D

Attachments

• 9BDC0C55-FA8D-4BDD-A796-BD31393A1D63.jpeg
    9BDC0C55-FA8D-4BDD-A796-BD31393A1D63.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 924
  • A28C7B93-A277-4355-AF0B-047D02349B7B.jpeg
    A28C7B93-A277-4355-AF0B-047D02349B7B.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 926

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
I love this set. It's the only playset I currently own. You've got to have Jabba in your collection. He's an awesome villain, and Jedi is a great movie because of the Jabba's Palace scenes.

Some nice sets guys. Here's mine. Like Jeremy I seem to have picked up the tri logo instructions instead of the ROTJ ones so something I'll need to hunt down. :lol:
Another great example of this popular playset. Well done on having the inner packaging with yours and the booklet too. I'm not sure how we've both managed to miss the Kenner instructions, when that version of the set seems to be far more common than the Euro one, but at least we have some instructions, I suppose!

Thanks for sharing your pictures :)

spoons

Grand Master
Love that childhood pic Plastikheld 8)

Mine is a tale of woe. Bought this sealed boxed Jabba for around £35 in 2006, sold it for the same a couple of years later - what would it cost now :cry:
Jabba6.jpg
Jabba7.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
spoons said:

Mine is a tale of woe. Bought this sealed boxed Jabba for around £35 in 2006, sold it for the same a couple of years later - what would it cost now :cry:
Jabba6.jpgJabba7.jpg
Lovely set, Andy. Sorry to hear you no longer have it.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:

Another great set, thanks mate for sharing the pictures. It looks amazing :D I wish I could help you with the instruction :(

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:

Jabba6.jpgJabba7.jpg

wow andy did you had a sealed one and sold it for £35 :shock: why did you sell it ? :shock:

It looks fantastic :wink:

spoons

Grand Master
Pomse2001 said:
spoons said:

Jabba6.jpgJabba7.jpg

wow andy did you had a sealed one and sold it for £35 :shock: why did you sell it ? :shock:

just the price of things back then

I sold it becuase sealed boxes dont do much for me. I like to see the toy, a loose one would go for £35 now but this was 10 years ago. A lot has changed.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
Pomse2001 said:
spoons said:

Jabba6.jpgJabba7.jpg

just the price of things back then

I sold it becuase sealed boxes dont do much for me. I like to see the toy, a loose one would go for £35 now but this was 10 years ago. A lot has changed.

Yes a lot has changed, it is the dark times for collectors :( I remember I saw sometimes the original brown cases with 6 or 8 misb jabba the hutt playsets in them for sale for a few £100 10-15 years ago I feel the same I want open boxes so I can touch the toy. I have 2 misb the ewok battle wagon and one of the droids vehicles. But I miss to have them in my hands, I am sure if I should choose today to buy them then I would choose the open boxes, but I got them cheap in the old days.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom