SWTOTW, Week 24, 2019, Part 1/2 Dagobah Action Playset

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
So, making up for not having one as a kid, I bought myself one of these as an adult! :-D

This playset has grown on me over the years. As a child, I always felt it lacked something, however as the years have passed, I've grown to really like it a lot. It does a surprising amount of things for such a compact set, with a foamy bog to trap R2, Jedi Force lifters for Luke to float some cargo boxes (which are included!) and R2, 2 action levers for Luke to battle Vader's apparition, plus a third lever / lifter to raise up other figures. Oh, and you can also fit figures inside the thing... Which brings me to another question, because for my entire life I've always thought the central brown 'dome' was supposed to be Yoda's house, but looking at it today, right now, I realise it looks a lot more like a tree stump! :oops: Is this supposed to be the dark Force site Luke ventured into on Dagobah? Is it a random tree stump around which action reigns? Or is it indeed meant to be Yoda's Love Shack after all?!

Whatever the answer, here's mine:

Hovel Action Playset - 01.jpg

Hovel Action Playset - 02.jpg

Hovel Action Playset - 03.jpg

Looking good mate.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
StarWarsFan said:
Snaketibe said:
So, making up for not having one as a kid, I bought myself one of these as an adult! :-D

This playset has grown on me over the years. As a child, I always felt it lacked something, however as the years have passed, I've grown to really like it a lot. It does a surprising amount of things for such a compact set, with a foamy bog to trap R2, Jedi Force lifters for Luke to float some cargo boxes (which are included!) and R2, 2 action levers for Luke to battle Vader's apparition, plus a third lever / lifter to raise up other figures. Oh, and you can also fit figures inside the thing... Which brings me to another question, because for my entire life I've always thought the central brown 'dome' was supposed to be Yoda's house, but looking at it today, right now, I realise it looks a lot more like a tree stump! :oops: Is this supposed to be the dark Force site Luke ventured into on Dagobah? Is it a random tree stump around which action reigns? Or is it indeed meant to be Yoda's Love Shack after all?!

Whatever the answer, here's mine:

Hovel Action Playset - 01.jpg

Hovel Action Playset - 02.jpg

Hovel Action Playset - 03.jpg

Looking good mate.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer... Er, I mean Toy of the Week, there was a discussion regarding whether this set features Yoda's house (which as a child, I had always assumed this was supposed to be), or whether it is simply a large tree stump. If it is supposed to be Yoda's house then it's a really lousy likeness by Kenner (see Lars' picture at the start of this thread). For my own part, the real problem (as it turns out) is that I have never owned a set of the instructions for this before... until now :). I am delighted to say that recently I finally acquired some Palitoy ones to go with my playset. They were a little bit dirty and somewhat crumpled, but a quick clean and iron later, and they look much improved :)

So why mention this? Well, because reading the instructions leaves us in no doubt as to what Kenner intended this playset to be... a stump! It's right there in black and white several times throughout the instructions, even pointing out that it is removable to increase play value (which would be a rather odd thing to do to Yoda's house, unless you were making way for a new hyperspace / swamp bypass).

Anyway, here they are in all their clarifying glory :-D:

Stump 01.jpg

Stump 02.jpg

Stump 03.jpg

Stump 04.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer... Er, I mean Toy of the Week, there was a discussion regarding whether this set features Yoda's house (which as a child, I had always assumed this was supposed to be), or whether it is simply a large tree stump. If it is supposed to be Yoda's house then it's a really lousy likeness by Kenner (see Lars' picture at the start of this thread). For my own part, the real problem (as it turns out) is that I have never owned a set of the instructions for this before... until now :). I am delighted to say that recently I finally acquired some Palitoy ones to go with my playset. They were a little bit dirty and somewhat crumpled, but a quick clean and iron later, and they look much improved :)

So why mention this? Well, because reading the instructions leaves us in no doubt as to what Kenner intended this playset to be... a stump! It's right there in black and white several times throughout the instructions, even pointing out that it is removable to increase play value (which would be a rather odd thing to do to Yoda's house, unless you were making way for a new hyperspace / swamp bypass).

Stump 01.jpg

Stump 02.jpg

Stump 03.jpg

Stump 04.jpg

Sorry for the late reply, Buffy the Vampire Slayer :shock: :lol: Cool new instruction and congratulations with completing the set :wink:

About the house, I agree it could look like a tree stump but on the picture from the movie it looks like roots from a tree is on the top of the house :? maybe that confused kenner :?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

Stump 01.jpg

Stump 02.jpg

Stump 03.jpg

Stump 04.jpg

Sorry for the late reply, Buffy the Vampire Slayer :shock: :lol: Cool new instruction and congratulations with completing the set :wink:

About the house, I agree it could look like a tree stump but on the picture from the movie it looks like roots from a tree is on the top of the house :? maybe that confused kenner :?

I suppose it's possible someone at Kenner was a little confused, but in fairness, since the instructions clearly state several times that it is a stump, plus the fact that it looks exactly like a stump and nothing like Yoda's house, we are forced to conclude that this is unquestionably meant to be a stump... Of course that's not to say that most children playing with it didn't pretend that it was Yoda's house anyway... :-D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

Stump 01.jpg

Stump 02.jpg

Stump 03.jpg

Stump 04.jpg

I suppose it's possible someone at Kenner was a little confused, but in fairness, since the instructions clearly state several times that it is a stump, plus the fact that it looks exactly like a stump and nothing like Yoda's house, we are forced to conclude that this is unquestionably meant to be a stump... Of course that's not to say that most children playing with it didn't pretend that it was Yoda's house anyway... :-D

I agree, I was just thinking maybe they were confused and thought it was a stump, maybe they did not get enough good info from lucas :? I think we have seen it with other star wars items that the info from lucas was not good enough or lucas changed it after kenner had started the production :?

I found this, here it looks like a part of a tree :lol:
ae30e3c919611f04f1ccdca1a0dfa012.jpg

But I also found this about his house and it is not a stump, please read :D

The hut was simple, constructed of mud, but utilized his E3-standard starship lifeboat model escape pod energy source. Despite this, Yoda had to draw upon the Force at all times just to hold it together. Yoda salvaged most of the parts from his escape pod to build this hut. He utilized deck grating for a solid foundation, illumination panels for lighting, and thrust nozzles for shaping his windows and doorway. He then packed mud from around the area to form the outer "shell" of his home. Then, the only matter that remained to be built was the interior.

See link https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Yoda%27s_hut

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom