Shift in Modern Prices

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
There are a few threads knowing about chatting about the shift in collectors and how Hasbro are performing and the quality of their stuff etc. but overall I think we are now at a point where simply dismissing certain early Modern lines as valueless is a bit out of step with the reality in the collecting market.

With a very noticeable shift in the demographic of collectors - i.e. the majority are now the children of the 90's/00's we are seeing a real increase in the value of Hasbro lines from that era - some more than others and within a line some elements more than others - but it is happening. While some basic figures have a long way to go before they reach Kenner MOC prices, some vehicles have already reached and in some cases passed them.

As someone who has just put together a carded figure and almost complete vehicle run of POTF2, POTJ and EP stuff I can safely say - things are getting more expensive.

With POTF2 in the past we have dismissed most figures as being £5ish and moved on - but that is now not the case (especially if you have shipping costs). Sure you can still get a bargain down there, but if I was to split up the line it might look something like:

Red Card Average £10
Green Card Average £12
Flashback Average £15
CommTech Card Average £20
Vehicles - no average but it is common to see red or green box X-wings heading up above £50 or £60, but look at the AT-AT, Y-Wing and Skiff - The AT-AT boxed costs the same if not more than a 1980 AT-AT... and the Y-Wing and Skiff rarely go for less than £100 now.

If we shift to Episode 1 there is a similar pattern
Card Average £10 but within that R2-1B and TC-14 can get into the £30+ mark
Two Pack Card Average is probably close to £15 now
Vehicles are a variable as with POTF2, but again an N1 can be £40+ but I try finding a Royal Starship for less than £200 or a quality Famba for less than £100 - easily vintage money for an equivalent.

Power of the Jedi is more again
Average figure has to be around £15 now and within that a few cost almost double (Boshek and R4-M9 spring to mind)
The Star Tours droids average around £20 now with R3-D3 a lot more than that
The deluxe figures are around £30 oddly with the Luke one maybe £50 or more (no idea why)
Vehicles are a real jump here - you'll be lucky to find any of them for less than £100 and a B-Wing seems to command (or demand?) the same price as a Kenner one.

Add in shipping (which is still a real cost to acquire) and you can see the average cost of a figure from the era getting up to £15 - Granted not Kenner Cash - but no longer the £5 basement items of a decade ago.

Pushing beyond these lines TVC is already out of control and various items and lines between 2002 and today cost many hundreds to get hold of (convention exclusives or any of the Saga 7 figure packs etc.).

given more and more collectors are feeding their childhood toy dreams buying up Hasbro lines from the 90's and 00's the way we did/do from the Kenner lines of the 70's and 80's I can only see prices for the these lines going up, certainly percentage wise a lot - even if cash wise we are still sub £20 a MOC as an average.

But maybe worth noting there is more value in these older modern lines than we give them credit for?

lejackal

Grand Master
All I know for certain is (a) I should've held on to the TVC stuff I had in 2014/15 and (b) I should have bought a POTF skiff at £35/40 a year or so ago

Palifan

Sith Lord
Thankfully I did buy the Skiff several years ago but I'm wondering when/if the Clone Wars cartoon figures will go up?

Ian

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
If you mean the tartakovsky clone wars ones I think they are creeping up.
The basic figures are still around 10-15, maybe Durge is more and the various coloured Clones are on the move - I remember the Yellow one being a nightmare to find...
The 3 packs can be a bit pricy as well now - maybe £40 - £50 each.

Still good value (such a first world statement) and they are among the best modern figures ever made (IMO) - well worth getting.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
the ones I am enjoying watching going silly are the EU comic 2-packs. So glad I bought them all when they came out and held on to them, likewise the Star Tours Disney crossover figures.

lejackal

Grand Master
the ones I am enjoying watching going silly are the EU comic 2-packs. So glad I bought them all when they came out and held on to them, likewise the Star Tours Disney crossover figures.
The Exar Kun pack is one I'd like but I really struggle paying vintage prices for modern items

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Holly Muckmolly - that is one I hadn't specifically looked up until just now..... Was seeing a few creeping up towards a 100ish and a lot heading into the 50's but wow... And it was from a standard line - so not an exclusive or anything. Makes you wonder what makes one figure suddenly jump like that.

Palifan

Sith Lord
I only picked up one of these and unfortunately it's the DV/RS one that hasn't hardly shifted in price lol!

Ian

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
There are a few threads knowing about chatting about the shift in collectors and how Hasbro are performing and the quality of their stuff etc. but overall I think we are now at a point where simply dismissing certain early Modern lines as valueless is a bit out of step with the reality in the collecting market.

With a very noticeable shift in the demographic of collectors - i.e. the majority are now the children of the 90's/00's we are seeing a real increase in the value of Hasbro lines from that era - some more than others and within a line some elements more than others - but it is happening. While some basic figures have a long way to go before they reach Kenner MOC prices, some vehicles have already reached and in some cases passed them.

As someone who has just put together a carded figure and almost complete vehicle run of POTF2, POTJ and EP stuff I can safely say - things are getting more expensive.

With POTF2 in the past we have dismissed most figures as being £5ish and moved on - but that is now not the case (especially if you have shipping costs). Sure you can still get a bargain down there, but if I was to split up the line it might look something like:

Red Card Average £10
Green Card Average £12
Flashback Average £15
Vehicles - no average but it is common to see red or green box X-wings heading up above £50 or £60, but look at the AT-AT, Y-Wing and Skiff - The AT-AT boxed costs the same if not more than a 1980 AT-AT... and the Y-Wing and Skiff rarely go for less than £100 now.

Vehicles are a variable as with POTF2, but again an N1 can be £40+ but I try finding a Royal Starship for less than £200 or a quality Famba for less than £100 - easily vintage money for an equivalent.

Average figure has to be around £15 now and within that a few cost almost double (Boshek and R4-M9 spring to mind)
The deluxe figures are around £30 oddly with the Luke one maybe £50 or more (no idea why)
Vehicles are a real jump here - you'll be lucky to find any of them for less than £100 and a B-Wing seems to command (or demand?) the same price as a Kenner one.

Add in shipping (which is still a real cost to acquire) and you can see the average cost of a figure from the era getting up to £15 - Granted not Kenner Cash - but no longer the £5 basement items of a decade ago.

Pushing beyond these lines TVC is already out of control and various items and lines between 2002 and today cost many hundreds to get hold of (convention exclusives or any of the Saga 7 figure packs etc.).

given more and more collectors are feeding their childhood toy dreams buying up Hasbro lines from the 90's and 00's the way we did/do from the Kenner lines of the 70's and 80's I can only see prices for the these lines going up, certainly percentage wise a lot - even if cash wise we are still sub £20 a MOC as an average.

But maybe worth noting there is more value in these older modern lines than we give them credit for?
A very interesting read and I for one agree with everything you say about "Modern"…it's something I've been saying for years but not many vintage collectors seem to want to listen.
You didn't mention FF cards, several of these have been close to £100 for a long while (Sand trooper, Garidan, Fett and Weequay to name a few) and the FF binders are creeping up too, assuming that you can find these to buy in the first place.
Another under rated and high valued line is the "Long picture" cards, a very hard line to complete now and there are only 9! I've still got 2 to find…
As I'm sure you know I mainly collect the Italian "Guerre Stellari" line and these can be a really difficult line to complete, again I'm missing a Bossk, X wing and a Tie fighter and I've been collecting this line for 6 years.
All of these cards are now finding their way into collections and finding them on eBay etc. is getting harder and harder.
And I won"t mention the Korean, Mexican and Brazilian cards….

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I have never collected this line as I've gone down too many rabbit holes already, but they look brilliant and command a very high price already that will surely rise as they get sucked up into collections.

As for the Disney crossovers I sold all mine a few years back….I couldn't give them away…😔

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
All I know for certain is (a) I should've held on to the TVC stuff I had in 2014/15 and (b) I should have bought a POTF skiff at £35/40 a year or so ago
Funny you should say that (but with you I'm not surprised 😏) I sold all my VC cards a few years ago…and now I'm buying them all back at a higher price….that's the story of Star Wars collecting for me….😔🙄🤔

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Not just buying them back - but sadly the quality of the items buying back are likely less than those you owned originally

I am seeing that - having owned at the time of release a full POTF2 collection - all sealed I am not having to buy 'opened' vehicles because they are so damn hard to find (Skiff, Y Wing and FX X-Wing) - annoying but again part of the game...

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Not just buying them back - but sadly the quality of the items buying back are likely less than those you owned originally

I am seeing that - having owned at the time of release a full POTF2 collection - all sealed I am not having to buy 'opened' vehicles because they are so damn hard to find (Skiff, Y Wing and FX X-Wing) - annoying but again part of the game...
I only buy MISB, but I where they used to be plentiful they are getting harder and harder to find.
And you are right that POTF2 vehicles can be more than Vintage.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
I would love to stick to MISB but they are too hard to find and go for too much - so for now I'll settle for pre-opened ones, even stickers applied as long as they look in good nick. Then over time I can replace them as and when better things come along - Frustrating, but there you go :)

_Lee_

Sith Lord
In all honesty I've toyed with the idea of picking up a full set of POTF2 green cards lately. These were released when i was around 20 so didn't play or collect Star Wars then but to me they helped bring back Star Wars and got me back in the game. They remind me of the SE hype and the ultimate return of Star Wars to the mainstream.

Anything after the the POTF2 and TPM lines i can't really get on with because of the card and bubble styles on the figures released after. I can't stand the AOTC and ROTS lines because of those bubbles🤑.The POTF2 and TPM figures are what an action figure should look like, but then again I'm a miserable bastard!

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Ha

I am 100% with you - it was POTF2 and EP1 that got me into collecting and as I say over and over, they are great lines, lovely designs and so much innovation. Some of the creatures and vehicles still remain among the best ever....

I have gone one line further and got Power of the Jedi, which I think is also great, but like you, most lines after that get messy, some great items pop up, but as coherent lines, they are all a bit much and the tooling and paint work is not as good etc. etc. I think the VC line is good again, for a while, but now has gone too far and I am washed out with it - after the 40th birthday stuff I am out I think.

There some great fun sublimes (Comic 2-Packs and Star Tours Parody) and I am also putting together a Star Wars Rebels collection (which crosses 3 lines).

I think if you are going for POTF2 - do it now, the prices are going up and certain bits are getting harder and harder to find. but it is a great line :)

lejackal

Grand Master
I just got a Skiff for £50, which is 10-20 more than I wanted but seems cheap/good value for the current market

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter

Red Card Average £10
Green Card Average £12
Flashback Average £15

There is a shift in the UK. I've notice the same, but i also think i maybe bidding against you mate.

There has been little change in the US though- they still have racks of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom