Rain

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
After one half decent afternoon of weather over easter, it's bloody raining again! And not just a bit of rain, pissing it down. My back garden is like a swamp, the earth is so saturated that the grass is turning into some kind of weird seaweed. Apparently it's been the wettest 3 months on record, but if this is what the weather in the UK is going to be like from now on because of global warming, I am packing the family up and moving to the canary islands. I cannot cope with this constant misery.

And did anyone else LOL at Thames Water saying they're going to have to put prices up by 40%, to charge us for something that literally FALLS OUT OF THE SKY for free in vast quantities!? Honestly! I bet there's a hosepipe ban as soon as we get a week of decent weather.

Yes I'm sick of this weather 😂

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
The rain has been ridiculous, I'm in south Devon and it feels like it's rained every day since October. Roads are ruined with pot holes and the road outside my house turns into a river every time we get a bad downpour. Welcome to Devon.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Me and the misses had just got back from North Berwick and it was biblical for the 3 days we were their!! The weather just seems to be getting worse now than I can remember years ago. And don't get me started with potholes!!!!!! In Ashfield, they are disgusting and a real hazard to us drivers.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
It's all pretty worrying. Our back garden is like a swamp, but the grass is growing like mad. Can't cut it, because it's so wet.

I really should get a water butt in the back garden...

The water companies are an absolute joke. The amount of untreated sewerage they've been releasing, coupled with huge amounts of water loss through leaking pipes, added to constant price rises = not fit for purpose. They're embarrassing and shameless and should be held accountable.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
I agree its worrying, driving to work and places like York the fields are still badly flooded and the rivers have burst their banks. Had a massive down pour last night. Everything is so muddy was surprised the car boot was on yesterday vans were getting stuck muddy as hell and people were moaning their feet were soaking wet. The big one today was cancelled shame as its usually massive and find some great items. Oh well roll on the dry weather (I hope).

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
We seem to be missing the rain up here in Scotland. Been a lovely change going into Spring, beautiful mornings and sunsets.
Can be a bit random though, we were sitting out in the garden in glorious sunshine, half an hour later it's thunder and lighting, power is off and hailstones falling from the sky :)

If any of you fancy moving up here let me know and I'll put a good word in for you at the border :p

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
We seem to be missing the rain up here in Scotland. Been a lovely change going into Spring, beautiful mornings and sunsets.
Can be a bit random though, we were sitting out in the garden in glorious sunshine, half an hour later it's thunder and lighting, power is off and hailstones falling from the sky :)

If any of you fancy moving up here let me know and I'll put a good word in for you at the border :p
Blimey, my mate is touring Scotland in a week or so, please put a good word in for her lol.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
@edd_jedi , once you have moved to the Canaries please please let me know, I would love to come and stay for a week or so.
My garden and all the fields down here are saturated and the smallest amount of extra rain just runs off and causes real problems with villages flooding…I can't remember what the sun felt like on my face

@theforceuk , I moved to Devon for the glorious sunny weather 4 years ago, since then all it's done is piss down. I have been told repeatedly that it wasn't like this before I moved here….like it's my fault!

@Cazza , unfortunately the water company's were all sold off by Maggie, and once you have shareholders investment in the system is a none profit option, so doesn't happen. But to be fair the system was… like all things that we owned and were then sold off…explain that to me?!?….under invested in by subsequence governments….thank God the Victorians made a good job of building it all in the first place.

@Ruby2511 , Pot holes…here in rural Devon you spend more time looking at the road than where you are going, I certainly wouldn't want to ride a motorbike down here.

Enough rambling on, we should all know better, it's Jolly Old England that we live in…or at least it used to be….I'm assuming that it will all be blamed on Covid somehow very soon.
Remember what Blade Runner was like…that's the future…

From one old git to another, Happy Easter to one and all.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Opens a thread on "rain" sees English people complaining about how wet it is. Laughs.
Come to my island FFS, the rain you get is what's left AFTER it passes over us.

@Mini99 you're half right on the water companies. They were chronically under funded under State ownership. Why spend X billions fixing something that can be ignored for 4/5yrs and left to the next lot. So successive Governments, of both colours, did exactly that. Not saying Privatisation was a panacea, but it made sense. The Gov got money for stuff it would have otherwise have had to spend billions on.
Initially it worked ok as the water companies could be run more efficiently, ever heard anyone call any Gov/local Council run service "efficient"? The problem came when they were bought over, or allowed to be bought, over by overseas Pension funds and Private Equity (PE) groups. I think the Canadian Teachers Pension Fund owns a few of them. In Thames Water's case Macquarie, the Aussie PE outfit, bought them.
PE works by loading debt on to a company and using the cash flow, your water bills, to cover the interest payments. They then pay themselves a dividend as share holders as that is taxed at a lower rate (it is in the UK, Aussie tax laws may differ). The interest payments on the debt are tax deductible so the debt actually allows them to save on tax. THAT is the problem, and a loop hole the Gov should have closed a long time ago. Macquire then sold Thames a few years ago and the rising Interest rates, remember they were all but zero percent for over a decade, will have massively increased their interest payments and reduced the money left over to invest in infrastructure. If they don't make the interest payments the banks can repossess the company, so debt payments come first for a company. Then it's easy to prioritise paying yourself a dividend over investing in infrastructure.
The new owners were probably sold a pup. I would NEVER buy anything from PE.
To use a car analogy it's like buying a car that's been owned by a boy racer. Any sensible person would not. It's been raced and run hot for weeks/months/years, it may look good now but chances are a lot of the parts have been through so much they will need replaced sooner than expected.
That's what PE do. Run it hot then sell it on, bank their profit (on top of the dividends) and leave someone else to pay off the debt.

If the Gov have any sense they will let Thames go bankrupt, in 12-18 months (when Labour are in power) and nationalise it (once they are bankrupt the Gov can step in for all but nothing), sort it out and then re-sell it (when the Tories get back in, be that 4/5 or 8/10yrs time) but make sure it can't be bought up by PE.

Water companies need massive on going spending (what's called 'Capital expenditure' or CapEx) effectively replacing a few pipes a year is easier, and cheaper than replacing a whole System. But the problem is, it is also easy to think "ahhh that can wait a year". The Gov did it when they owned it and Macquarie did it too. Realistically, if you are going to Nationalise something like that you need either a watchdog with teeth, which is never gonna happen, or to specify that the company must spend X% of profits/Revenue on CapEx. And don't allow any deductions, like interest payments, from the profit figure.

Sorry, slightly more long winded answer than I planned there. Hopefully it makes sense.

Still, enjoy the rain boys. We get 365 days a year like that!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Look at the state of this, it was a lovely lawn 6 months ago!

IMG_5093.jpeg

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah mines the same needs rolling with a spike roller. Right pain in the ass lawns are.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Note sure what feels more middle aged - the fact this thread exists - the fact I read it all - or the fact I am contributing :)

We've been renovating a house down south for a while and luckily got the roof on last Aug - since then it has been months of non-stop rain - I spent most of Christmas Day with with the boots on clearing ditches just to make sure things could flow - I've never seen anything like it. The river Avon runs close by and it's had burst banks now since October, every time the water recedes there is another downpour and its back up again.

Thankfully things are showing signs of getting back to normal - but there has been a lot of damage to roads and property around us, and tangental damage to vehicles etc. I need an entire new undertray for my car now - not a great winter. Actually I was re-clearing the same ditches a few weeks ago and that night my legs felt like they were on fire - thought nothing of it until a week later when my wife went to move my boots - and the insides had melted, indicating that something upstream had entered the water that shouldn't, likely an old oil tank damaged in the weather or something.

But worry not - we'll be into hosepipe bans before we know it :) which makes me think about the Water company comments, Privatisation back in the day was just about the only thing that kept them running, sadly human nature being what it is meant that people just saw ways of making money there and really stopped caring about the actual service (might be a bit harsh) - sadly nationalisation is looking like the only way to start fixing that - but if it isn't thames Water putting their bills up it will be government putting taxes up - so either way we end up paying.

Frankly utilities should be run as non-profits, they exist exclusively to serve the nation, no more, no less, they don't need to make profits, so every penny they do make (after a reasonable/fair reward scheme based on job performance) should be invested back into their infrastructure. But the same needs to be said for the trains as well....

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Agreed, though HOPEFULLY, the Gov (whichever colour it is at the time) have enough sense to let Thames go bankrupt and then just nationalise the assets/buy them from administration. That way they don't get lumbered with the debts, though they will need to spend a fortune brining it up to speed (Cap Ex) but that should be reclaimable when they sell. Like doing up a house, you get more for it after you have done the work.
That will also mean the Share holders of Thames will get nothing, maybe slightly harsh on them as most of the current holders aren't the ones who ran up the debts that are sinking it, but such is capitalism. And no way should UK tax payers be bailing them out. Bail Thames out but not the shareholders etc.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Frankly utilities should be run as non-profits, they exist exclusively to serve the nation, no more, no less, they don't need to make profits, so every penny they do make (after a reasonable/fair reward scheme based on job performance) should be invested back into their infrastructure. But the same needs to be said for the trains as well....

Absolutely, summed up in a nutshell.
The question that I've always asked is "how could something that I owned be sold to me?" 🤔😡

supergoose

Jedi Knight
Supporter

Absolutely 100% 👏

lejackal

Grand Master
Energy companies (the ones you buy gas and electricity from) barely make a profit on domestic customers. British Gas might have made 700 million profit but that's across approximately 12 million homes. 60 quid a year per home.

*yes I work in energy, no it's not for BG, and yes, struggling households should get more targeted help, ideally through a social tariff that is funded through centralised taxation.