Question about shipping

windshear

Padawan
I am about to post my items for sale, but I've run into a snag. Please forgive me if it is not proper to post my question here, but I don't know where else.

As far as I can see, the only company willing to insure my shipment of items, is FDX. And sending a 50cmX20cm package this way could cost up to 100-200 £ depending on the size of the package.

I don't think anyone of us find this very profitable, so I am wondering how you guys do this. Do you send with out insurance? If so then what if a package is damaged or gets lost?!

P.S. I am shipping from Denmark
Any help is appreciated!

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
I just post parcel force , tracked And signed for around £15 to £25 depending on size , You won't get many sales with that postage buddy . :shock:

JFK

Jedi Master
Wow this can be a mine field in shipping costs ,our Royal Mail is quite reasonable in cost but I know parcel force proper jack the price up if sending abroad big price :shock:

Richard_H

Grand Master
I got a quote for £150 for sending a parcel insured for £5000. It all depends on the insurance value. Drop it down to £25 and it went for £7.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Parcelforce also have this fantastic system whereby if an item gets trashed while in their care it's not their fault. Regardless of the fact it was perfect when it left you, well packaged (by their own admission) and destroyed when it arrives at the sellers. Apparently it's not their fault and the insurance doesn't cover it.
I'm just awaiting a date with the small claims court to force the ****ers to pay.

I'd use Yodel or a pissed Barney Gumble before i'd use that shower of shite at Parcelforce.

mumbo

Sith Lord
Having spoken to Lars on numerous occasions I understand Denmark has a very expensive postal system :!:

windshear

Padawan
well only FEDEX wanted to insure it, so that's why its so expensive.

If I don't insure it, then its not so expensive. Royal mail will probably not refund or insure vintage toys, so do you guys just feel safe and ship it anyways?

windshear

Padawan
weasel said:
Parcelforce also have this fantastic system whereby if an item gets trashed while in their care it's not their fault. Regardless of the fact it was perfect when it left you, well packaged (by their own admission) and destroyed when it arrives at the sellers. Apparently it's not their fault and the insurance doesn't cover it.
I'm just awaiting a date with the small claims court to force the ****ers to pay.

I'd use Yodel or a pissed Barney Gumble before i'd use that shower of shite at Parcelforce.

This is exactly what I am afraid of. Obi I am thinking about both the buyer and the seller here, I want to find a good solution

windshear

Padawan
I found with Parcelforce (GLS in Denmark), the prices range from between 26-32 £ to the UK and Northern Ireland and 26-34 £ to the rest of Ireland...

Richard_H

Grand Master
From my point of view it's up to what the buyer wants to pay. If the buyer wants to take the risk then do it. If the buyer wants to pay full insurance then do that.

Also, it's often cheaper to split into smaller packages. It's difficult giving advice without knowing what you're sending and how much we're talking about.

windshear

Padawan
I talked to parcelforce/GLS and they do not cover vintage or antiques, as their value are not current documented store value.

I think this is worth noting for sellers and buyers, although the risk of losing a package is small, should it happen it would be a total loss

stormcab

Sith Lord
The AFA has a system where they can insure your return items with a seperate insurance, and therefore you just pay for the return of the acrylic cases. Is this a special thing the AFA have, or can anyone do it in the USA? also, what about a similar service in the UK?

stormcab

Sith Lord
weasel said:

I don't understand, if the say they don't insure antiques/vintage because value is hard to determine, well what about the fact you know what it's worth because you've got the amount on eBay and Paypal that it sold for??

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
stormcab said:
I don't understand, if the say they don't insure antiques/vintage because value is hard to determine, well what about the fact you know what it's worth because you've got the amount on eBay and Paypal that it sold for??

This is the bit that pisses me off. It's not the fact it is an antique, it's the fact that apparently the damage isn't their fault. It was undamaged when it left me, well packed (I have a message from one of their claims team saying as much), damaged when it arrived, yet it's not their fault.
The damage to the box wasn't sufficient to damage the item, apparently. Not entirely sure how they think the item was actually damaged then. The magic pixies must have done it, therefore Parcelforce aren't liable.

Safe to say I will NEVER use parcelforce again, and would advise anyone on here against using a company that apparently thinks damage caused while it transports an item isn't their fault.

windshear

Padawan
Vintage and Antiques need special insurance, as the value is a matter of valuation not market set value.

I agree with you all that its a bit nuts as we can provide Ebay or Paypal transfers... But they say if we start a case with their legal department, they will refuse our claim immediately.

This was the same with TNT, UPS and GLS (parcelforce)! Only Fedex for an insane price would insure it.

I think this is important to know for all sellers and buyers! Its maybe worth the risk, as most items of course reach their destination.

AFA perhaps has a seperate insurance, meaning that their business insurance company cover items that they send. Me as a private person I asked my private insurance company and they did not cover.

TNT actually advised me to take up an insurance deal for maybe a year, so that my items would be covered... But As I am not running a business here I think this is a bit over the top

windshear

Padawan
ChallengerFox said:
You can always deliver them in person : )

:D

As a matter of fact when Fedex told me their prices, I told her that I might as well buy a plane ticket and deliver it in person :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom