Premier League 23/24 Thread

lejackal

Grand Master
I just had my Man U supporting neighbours telling me what Arsenal need is a striker. We scored 91 goals (5 short of City) and a striker will apparently fix everything 🙄

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I can't really agree with a team that plays football at "The Emirates" and paid £100 million for England's fifth choice midfielder accusing other teams of buying success with oil money, apparently City are seventh on the net spend table over the last five years behind Chelsea, Arsenal, United, Newcastle, Spurs and even Villa. Did they spend their way to success? Absolutely. But have they spent more money than other clubs attempting exactly the same thing? Not according to the data.

Pep is not only a much more experienced and better manager, but so are his players - would any Arsenal players make City's starting XI?

And let's not forget that, just like last season, Arsenal's actual league position was flattering due to having played more games than City for most of the season. I raised an eyebrow every time a headline claimed Arsenal were "top of the table", how about next season Spurs play more games than everyone else so we can pretend to be top of the league for a few months!? I saw quite a few Arsenal fans say things like "points on the board are better than games in hand" - not when you're up against City.

Arsenal were very worthy of second place again, but I still think there's a gulf (pun intended) between them and City.

As for Spurs, fifth is probably about right. We were top of the league in November, then had a terrible run of injuries/suspensions that we never really recovered from. Maddison went from being bargain of the summer to very average, hopefully he can sharpen up again for next season. I'm pleased we're in the Europa League, no point being embarrassed in the CL when you're not ready for it (Newcastle / United.)

And I REALLY hope the cheating from corners thing is addressed in time for next season. Getting away with it doesn't mean it's right, surely even the most die-hard Arsenal fan can admit trying to undo the goalkeepers gloves or distract them in any other way is quite simply poor sportsmanship, if nothing else. Cheating on the pitch is no better than cheating financially.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Problem is with City the 10 years before the last 5 years they spent so much illegally, albeit very well, that they don't really need to spend a lot any more.

The bottom line is in 2007 Man City were nothing, since then they haven't worked within the rules that everyone else has so any competition they are in is a farce IMO.

lejackal

Grand Master
Net spend is bollocks. City have inflated their income for years, having a gulf sponsor and being owned by the country (essentially) are not the same.
As for cheating, every team cheats, Spurs included. Would I prefer a jolly good show, shake hands, never do anything wrong approach? Yes, of course. Would that be suicide when everyone else is making cynical fouls, diving, backing into players? Also yes. Don't come at me with Arsenal cheating when you had Kane diving and backing in, elbowing etc for years. That's also cheating.

lejackal

Grand Master
And if no Arsenal players get in the City starting 11, and if Pep is such a superior manager, then why have City only beaten Arsenal by 2 points and why haven't they beaten Arsenal in the league this season?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Because Pep has won about a dozen major trophies in the last 5 years, while Arteta has won a single FA Cup, which from memory he only assumed charge in the quarter finals, and a couple of Charity shields which they shouldn't even have been playing in except City won both the league and FA Cup those years. Success is major trophies, anything else is failure right? "What success" as Paul Merson famously said after Spurs' decent spell which also ended with nothing.

Remove the 16 goals Arsenal scored from corners, it would be interesting to see if they were only 2 points behind then. This is how a team with class sets up for a corner.

IMG_5241.jpeg

For what it's worth I agree about the diving, but it's a shame Kane is the only one who gets picked up on it when Salah makes him look like the baby Jesus.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I don't know what can be done about money, clearly Luton will never compete with City, but as I said on the last page throwing money alone hasn't done Chelsea, United or Newcastle any good this season.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
@edd_jedi I agree about Spurs finish. 5th was about right. I cant agree on Salah being worse than Kane. Salah is no angel but Kane is a dirty bastard who got away with numerous ridiculous fouls, indeed half the time he got penalties for fouling people (taking Adam Lallana's legs out from under him while he was in mid air instantly springs to mind). But I freely admit I am not neutral on that one.

Nice to see when City did their four in a row, "cheats" "cheating" and "#115" were all trending above "four in a row" on Twitter.

I also have a degree of sympathy with the PL when it comes to the length of time they are taking to give us a verdict on City. 115 charges obviously takes more time to investigate than the handful Forest and Everton were charged with. Plus the latter two cooperated with the enquiry, a lof City's charges relate to them NOT providing the info required or just plain lying. If you are investigating that, the accused party is hardly likely to suddenly have a change of heart and hand over the info.
It should really have been resolved by now though, 15 months is a LONG time.

Ohh and part of the issue with City is the fact the owners also own the club's stadium sponsor. Hard to establish what a true/fair value for naming rights is when the owners can just turn round and offer twice what anyone else would. How do you prove that is a stitch up? You literally need an email or a whistle blower otherwise it's speculation/hearsay.

City are rich enough that they can employ some clever accountants/solicitors to find grey areas to exploit.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Ohh and Newcastle did ok in the CL. Bottom of a very tough group, but they were robbed by a ridiculous penalty against PSG, and the two sides who got out of their group made the semi finals (were they played each other). PSG don't get that soft as **** 98th minute penalty and Newcastle win 0-1 and qualify in second place. Fine margins, in a very tight group.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Oh well, it was nice to see we finally got there. However, the PL is all that is wrong about football, I'll quite happily watch championship for another few seasons and maybe go back to the PL when we need rhe cash.

From someone who has gone from watching NL to PL with the same club in around 10 years, you will never get better and more entertaining than the league's below the PL. The money, corruption, greed and fraud has ruined the once beautiful game.

It's only going to get worse. These big clubs keep on spending and breaking rules but nothing happens. Such a shame.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
I know exactly what you mean. Really enjoyed our seasons in the second tier. Loads of games and winning regularly is great, not to mention the lack of media bias and constant fawning over certain teams.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
The depressing thing about "115" is that even if drastic action was taken and they were docked trophies, I think Spurs would only get a league cup out of it, we finished second to Chelsea in the league. While both Liverpool and Arsenal would add another few PL titles each to their hauls :rolleyes:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Literally any other player who gets a penalty tactically is called "clever." Palmer had a few this season, genius according to the commentators. However Harry Kane doing it is "dirty" 🤷‍♂️

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Thought this was interesting- look at all those Moyes titles!

Interesting but pointless, when has any sport ever been fair? There's always an advantage somewhere - money, physicality, mentality, drugs, support, coaching, it's literally impossible for sport to be fair unless you start playing cyborgs against each other.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Really surprised by the Poch news last night, obviously Chelsea had a terrible start to the season, but they've been decent for the last few months? Bizarre.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Interesting but pointless, when has any sport ever been fair? There's always an advantage somewhere - money, physicality, mentality, drugs, support, coaching, it's literally impossible for sport to be fair unless you start playing cyborgs against each other.
Who pissed on your chips this morning, Edd, you grumpy old fart?! 🤣 Just thought it was interesting to see who was best of the rest- Norwich even got in there! Also shows what a great job Moyes has done over the years.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Agreed, the Poch situation is bizarre- they'd started to look very good at the tail end of the season. Seemed to be finally coming together for them. Maybe they'll go for De Zerbi? Or a Tuchel return?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Who pissed on your chips this morning, Edd, you grumpy old fart?! 🤣
Try being a Spurs fan mate, we're never on any list top 6 or not 😂 We wouldn't win the league if we were the only team in it, somebody would find a way!

Top Bottom