Premier League 23/24 Thread

lejackal

Grand Master
I think he's talking about XG - if they had actually scored and conceded based on that they would be higher, however goals win games and points win titles. Not ****ing spurious stats

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Aye, there is ONE stat that has them fourth. Everything else has them in mid table.

Some game there, Newcastle WH. I saw from about an hour in, WH 3-1 up and comfortable. Then Moyesy decides to take the piss and brings on Calvin Phillips, a man whose WH career can only be described as 'disappointing'. 5 minutes later Phillips gives away a penalty* and then he gets turned far too easily for a holding midfielder by Harvey Barnes for Newcastle's fourth. The man is jinxed.

* That penalty was the kind I don't Iike to see given. Phillips takes an age to clear it, you're in your own box dickhead, how long do you think you're going to get? But Gordon makes NO attempt to play the ball. He just puts his leg between the ball and Phillips boot and then screams like a girl when he gets kicked. He does get kicked and it probably is a foul, BUT it is one manufactured totally by Gordon. I dont like to see penalties given for **** like that. You need to be trying to play the ball for me, not just trying to get kicked.

Come on Brentford!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah same old ****, all been away on international duty and they come back like they want a new manager, can all piss off. Player power has won at Man Utd since Jose was sacked, The fridge , McTomanay still getting picked???? Complete joke, Villa and Spurs deserve UCL football next season so I hope they get it.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Aye, there is ONE stat that has them fourth. Everything else has them in mid table.

Some game there, Newcastle WH. I saw from about an hour in, WH 3-1 up and comfortable. Then Moyesy decides to take the piss and brings on Calvin Phillips, a man whose WH career can only be described as 'disappointing'. 5 minutes later Phillips gives away a penalty* and then he gets turned far too easily for a holding midfielder by Harvey Barnes for Newcastle's fourth. The man is jinxed.

* That penalty was the kind I don't Iike to see given. Phillips takes an age to clear it, you're in your own box dickhead, how long do you think you're going to get? But Gordon makes NO attempt to play the ball. He just puts his leg between the ball and Phillips boot and then screams like a girl when he gets kicked. He does get kicked and it probably is a foul, BUT it is one manufactured totally by Gordon. I dont like to see penalties given for **** like that. You need to be trying to play the ball for me, not just trying to get kicked.

Come on Brentford!
Never a pen. Not given on the field and how was it a clear and obvious error, when Gordon instigated the foul? Phillip's foot was already in motion before Gordon got in the way etc etc. Sick of it, week in, week out.

Fairplay to Newcastle, they deserved the win in the end. Howe's subs were excellent and really worked. We just retreated more and more for 25 mins and you could see it coming. Such a frustrating performance, with a win almost in the bag.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Brentford battered Utd. It was shooting practice. I'm not even sure Utd got out of their own half, bar the goal, in the second half. Proper men against boys stuff. Brentford had 31 shots FFS. Brentford! Utd did not deserve a point. They sure as **** did not deserve 3. But football is a strange sport some times

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Never a pen. Not given on the field and how was it a clear and obvious error, when Gordon instigated the foul? Phillip's foot was already in motion before Gordon got in the way etc etc. Sick of it, week in, week out.

Fairplay to Newcastle, they deserved the win in the end. Howe's subs were excellent and really worked. We just retreated more and more for 25 mins and you could see it coming. Such a frustrating performance, with a win almost in the bag.

I can kind of see why they gave it. The movement is from Phillips onto Gordon. Gordon doesn't move his leg, he just plonks it between the ball and Phillips and waits to be kicked.
As I said though, I don't like to see pens given for that. It's manufactured by the attacker. In this case Gordon made no attempt to play the ball, he puts his foot between the ball and Phillips. If Phillips suddenly disappeared Gordon still wouldn't get the ball, it was moving away from where he plonked his foot. It's the definition of a manufactured foul. Strikers will call it "clever play", I call it cynical borderline cheating. And, I don't think you should get a penalty for it.
You can argue that Gordon actually fouls Phillips as he isn't trying to play the ball but block Philips from clearing it.

But what do you expect from that wee toe rag.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Well that was ****ING DREADFUL. That's as bad a game as I have seen in a while. Utd Pool in the FAC was piss poor, but it had goals. That was a shocking advert for the PL.
Both sides were happy not to lose.

lejackal

Grand Master
A tight, cagey game - City produced the most clear cut chance and Arsenal were very deep but I'll take a point. Time to cheer on united next weekend 🤢🤢

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Forget Utd next week, lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place. Man City should get fined for the amount of times there players harassed the ref.

Great day for the worst half of Merseyside. 🙄

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah as I said a few pages ago games like this are always a let down and never decide titles, it will be something like Arsenal's shock loss to Newcastle last season again or something. Although contrary to social media posts I keep seeing, Spurs aren't going to have any say in the title race as on current form we're going to lose all games against the top three badly!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Aye, I would say, at least, one of the sides in the title race will drop points to someone who you would expect them to batter. That's what started Arsenal's slip last year was it not? A few dodgy draws, then a draw with Pool and WH?

A long way to go yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom