Premier League 23/24 Thread

lejackal

Grand Master
HHmmmmm. I guess you can play anyone anywhere, but their effectiveness is the big issue. I just don't see Haevertz as a midfielder but let's wait and see how the season pans out for him.
65m for him is steep, especially as Chelsea need to sell (about 100 players).
40m for Madison is ok. I wouldn't say it was a bargain (Leicester did go down and need to sell to balance the books), but I wouldn't say it was a rip off.
105m for Rice............yeah 35m too much, possibly more than 35m. But then you have the young, english and we dont wanna sell/you are rich premiums so....

Kane to Bayern for 80m ish. That will leave a big old gap in Spurs squad.

I still can't get my head round how Arsenal have all this money and Pool haven't a pot to piss in. That's 170m Arsenal have spent this summer, having spent the same last summer. Pool are balking at paying over 35m for players this summer, bar McAllister, and have signed ONE midfielder in 5 yrs. He being McAllister. I dunno if Arsenal are storing up FFP problems or FSG (Pool's owners) are massive massive skinflints but the difference in spending between the two clubs over the last few years is confusing me. Especially given the fact Pool have finished higher every yr bar last yr, they have had 6 CL campaigns to Arsenal's none (I think) and 3 of those campaigns have resulted in a spot in the final. Throw in 2 domestic cup wins last yr, a silly world club cup and a European Super cup and I am struggling to understand Pool's lack of funds.

And, Yes, I know they are still a lot better off than most other clubs in the league/europe. My point is more they have done bloody well on limited funds and yet there still seems to be no money.

Ohh and bad news for WH fans, it looks like Moyesy wants to spend some of the RIce money on...............Harry Maguire. Burn your season tickets now
You must have money, surely? Or are your owners keeping it now they don't want to invest anymore?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
You must have money, surely? Or are your owners keeping it now they don't want to invest anymore?
Apparently the budget is tight this summer (same as every ****ing summer). Which given they have hardly been big spenders in the last few years* surprises me. Granted they have forked out 35m upfront for Macallister, but surely a big PL side must have a summer budget of about 100m, especially after 6 CL campaigns. The impression I got was Jude Bellingham had decided to go for Pool, albeit for a few yrs before moving, but they pulled out cos Dortmund wanted 85m. Given the massive issues with Pool's midfield turning down the chance to sign someone like that cos you cant afford it is bizarre. There are other supposed targets they have walked away from due to the fees clubs want but they could be clubs taking the piss, the Bellingham price was actually fairly reasonable for someone of his talent/age and nationality.

*I don't wanna use the "net spend" gubbins but bar when Pool sold Coutinho they haven't spent that much

lejackal

Grand Master
Just to cheer you up Arsenal have just agreed another 40mil deal
Apparently the budget is tight this summer (same as every ****ing summer). Which given they have hardly been big spenders in the last few years* surprises me. Granted they have forked out 35m upfront for Macallister, but surely a big PL side must have a summer budget of about 100m, especially after 6 CL campaigns. The impression I got was Jude Bellingham had decided to go for Pool, albeit for a few yrs before moving, but they pulled out cos Dortmund wanted 85m. Given the massive issues with Pool's midfield turning down the chance to sign someone like that cos you cant afford it is bizarre. There are other supposed targets they have walked away from due to the fees clubs want but they could be clubs taking the piss, the Bellingham price was actually fairly reasonable for someone of his talent/age and nationality.

*I don't wanna use the "net spend" gubbins but bar when Pool sold Coutinho they haven't spent that much

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Does feel a tad on the expensive side to me.
Probably is, he had a terrible season last season as did every Chelsea player, but 2 seasons ago he was an £85 million player. I'm more concerned now that a DCM is not getting bought as back up to Casemiro. I don't no, if Ten Hag doesn't see you need defensive minded midfielders at Anfield, the emirates and the emptyhad we could be in trouble.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Just to cheer you up Arsenal have just agreed another 40mil deal

Yeah, I saw that.
So Arsenal have spent roughly 200m this window. I reckon that is more than Klopp's net spend during his whole time at Liverpool.

I just checked, in late Jan 2023 so I don't know if that includes Gakpo or not, Pool under Klopp had a net spend of £240m. Utd's was £795m, City's was £572m, Arsenal's was £515m, Chelsea's was £463m and Spurs' was £370m.
Obviously that will have changed as it may or may not include Gakpo, the 721 players Chelsea signed or any signing this summer. Even if we add the £35m for Gakpo on, Pool are still £100m LESS than the nearest other member of the big 6 in Spurs. That's one hell of a gap, especially considering the on pitch success Pool have had and I would assume the increased revenue (tv money, prize money and merchandise sales) they have earned.

Genuinely, WHERE THE **** HAS THE MONEY GONE?

The above also doesn't include Newcastle who apparently have spent over 200m since the take over, but the article (twas in The Mirror) doesn't give a net spend figure for them.

And yes, I know 'net spend' blah blah blah, my point is more the fact that Pool shouldn't be sitting at the bottom of that big 6 league, and definitely not bottom by £100m. For context, that hundred million buys them Jude Bellingham.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Probably is, he had a terrible season last season as did every Chelsea player, but 2 seasons ago he was an £85 million player. I'm more concerned now that a DCM is not getting bought as back up to Casemiro. I don't no, if Ten Hag doesn't see you need defensive minded midfielders at Anfield, the emirates and the emptyhad we could be in trouble.
I think ETH knows exactly what he needs, he has impressed me so far (sadly). I suspect it is more Utd's shitness at transfers and the lack of certainty over the ownership.

lejackal

Grand Master
Yeah, I saw that.
So Arsenal have spent roughly 200m this window. I reckon that is more than Klopp's net spend during his whole time at Liverpool.

I just checked, in late Jan 2023 so I don't know if that includes Gakpo or not, Pool under Klopp had a net spend of £240m. Utd's was £795m, City's was £572m, Arsenal's was £515m, Chelsea's was £463m and Spurs' was £370m.
Obviously that will have changed as it may or may not include Gakpo, the 721 players Chelsea signed or any signing this summer. Even if we add the £35m for Gakpo on, Pool are still £100m LESS than the nearest other member of the big 6 in Spurs. That's one hell of a gap, especially considering the on pitch success Pool have had and I would assume the increased revenue (tv money, prize money and merchandise sales) they have earned.

Genuinely, WHERE THE **** HAS THE MONEY GONE?

The above also doesn't include Newcastle who apparently have spent over 200m since the take over, but the article (twas in The Mirror) doesn't give a net spend figure for them.

And yes, I know 'net spend' blah blah blah, my point is more the fact that Pool shouldn't be sitting at the bottom of that big 6 league, and definitely not bottom by £100m. For context, that hundred million buys them Jude Bellingham.
Your revenue is also a good 100 mil or so a year more than Arsenal as well (post pandemic, with Europe etc)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, that kinda adds to my bafflement.

Rumours of Pool being after some bloke with an unpronounceable and unspellable name from RBLeipzig for 60m. Not holding my breath. Fully expecting a "player was too expensive/club decided he wasn't quite what they wanted/there was better value elsewhere" gubbins excuse.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I see City have got more allegations against them. £30 million just appeared in their account one day.

lejackal

Grand Master
Sadly that's the one CAS ruled had to be ignored because of the length of time that had passed. Still shows there is indeed smoke AND fire

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Looks like Pool have signed yer unpronouceable fella. 60m for someone I have never heard of. How do I react to that?
Glad they signed someone, fingers crossed he is useful. I'd still like to see another body in midfield. Jude Bellingham or Declan Rice would be nice lol.

As for City, I think we all know they are guilty. At best they broke the 'spirit' of the law and pushed every grey area to the limits. At worst….
The question is just will the FA/PL have the balls to stand up to them, or will the fear of City's highly paid legal team mean any punishment is the definition of token. If it's the latter, we all may give up on football. It's just gonna become a procession of oil state clubs winning everything.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Not funny, the Evri delivery guy is without doubt the one guy I've met the most times. And it's never anything for me.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
DDG leaves Utd. Bit of a strange one. He's not a bad keeper, but the old playing out from the back just isn't his thing. I get the impression that's how ETH wants to play so not surprised to see him go, but it is quite a shity way for a player to leave.

Rumours are he had agreed a new contract then Utd reneged on it and offered the same deal with a lower wage. He was apparently on 375kpw which he was never worth, that kinda highlights how shitly Utd have been run. After his contract ran out they apparently asked him not to sign for anyone else in case they couldn't find a replacement. Proper amateur hour **** that.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah rubbish how he's been treated, record appearances for a goalkeeper and most clean sheets and won everything apart from the UCL in his 12 years, time for him to move on but he should have been given a proper send off. Unana (spelling) is an interesting one, he will be entertaining for sure.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I think it's an "O" so Onana.

I can't remember the details but I know he ****ed Ajax over before he left, it could be something to do with a failed drugs test and they stood by him, either way after the club backed him he forced a move and shafted them. He seems to be a good keeper for playing out from the back, but I would worry about his temperament/personality.

I heard a Spurs fan on Shoutsport today saying Harry Kane was worth well over 100m and they should reject Bayern's 80m Yoyos (70m quid ish) offer. I laughed. He has one year left on his contract, is 30 and has had more ankle injuries than I've had hot dinners. If that adds up to 100m then I must be worth at least 10m.
Yer man then followed it up by saying Spurs should sign Victor Osimhen from Napoli. I guess that showed the kinda moron he was.

Sure Spurs can ask for any price they want, but realistically no one will pay 100m for Harry Kane when they can get him free next summer. The same goes for Mbappe at PSG. The rumours of Pool bidding 200m for him are as plausible as me winning Miss World.

Latest posts

Top Bottom