Premier League 2020/2021 Thread

2stripes

Jedi Master
weasel said:
2stripes said:
Would have had no issue with a retrospective 3 game band for Pickford, I don't think they'd have had any from the club either.

I bet you and the club wouldn't! Playing like he is Pickford is a liability. Him being banned for 3 games, lets whoever his understudy is, come in and establish himself. Assuming he isn't an utter muppet (hello Adrian, I looking at you) he'll probably keep the jersey.
How he is England number 1 I will never know.

Yeah I can't say the suspension would hurt us, he must be a nightmare defending in front off.. he has a world class save in him but his decision making is awful. The one thing a keeper should never do is try and make up for the last mistake but trying to force the issue and try and make eye catching contributions.. he basically needs a run of 10-15 games where he is barely noticed. Personally I'd drop him on form, a calm presence between the sticks will benefit the defence far more.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Having watched Liverpool through 25years of utterly dreadful keepers, it is amazing the difference a good keeper makes.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
Having watched Liverpool through 25years of utterly dreadful keepers, it is amazing the difference a good keeper makes.

I loved David James, he was Man Utd's star player!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Cazza said:
This is a must read :lol: Haven't laughed so much in ages :lol: All teams have their fair share of muggy fans, but this takes it to another level :lol:

https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=135026

PS- sorry Edd! ;)

Well to be fair it was a **** day for Spurs fans and an exciting 94th minute for Hammers fans, but now the dust has settled it was still just a draw. Hardly worth releasing a DVD for :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
weasel said:

James, Karius, Mingers, Westerveld, Carson, Kirkland, Dudek, Peggy, Jones, Friedel (dung at Pool, decent enough after he left) the list goes on and on.

2stripes

Jedi Master
weasel said:
theforceuk said:
weasel said:

James, Karius, Mingers, Westerveld, Carson, Kirkland, Dudek, Peggy, Jones, Friedel (dung at Pool, decent enough after he left) the list goes on and on.

Always thought Kirkland would be a phenomenal keeper, I think Injuries ruined him tbh.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
So if Dier's "handball" against Newcastle was a penalty, what the hell was Andrew Robertson's for Liverpool yesterday? The inconsistency is a ****ing joke and costing teams not only points but success. The "it all evens out" assumption simply isn't true.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Sounds like Arsenal got stitched up by VAR yesterday too? How is it possible that this multi million pound system is less reliable than me watching the action replays on Sky? It is utterly ridiculous! Why is nobody getting sacked for this mess?

lejackal

Grand Master
We did but we should've put that Leicester side to bed before Vardy came on. You could see Rodgers game plan a mile off. Keep it tight, do nothing, introduce Vardy and then give him balls to chase.

The fact that we were entirely reliant on Luiz, a ****ing centre back, for creativity Is extremely worrying. I hope Arteta has a better plan for Old Trafford

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
So if Dier's "handball" against Newcastle was a penalty, what the hell was Andrew Robertson's for Liverpool yesterday? The inconsistency is a ****ing joke and costing teams not only points but success. The "it all evens out" assumption simply isn't true.

Easy, Robertson's one was ball to hand, his hand was in a natural position for someone running and thus not hand ball. Dier's was ehhh the same, but VAR decided to award a penalty cos ehhh cos!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
HOW is that a penalty to Spurs? Kane backs in to lallana as he jumps. That is a foul BY kane. Free kick to Brighton. How has Lallana fouled someone who backs in to him when he is in mid air?
Not sure if it was even in the area, I'd need to see it in slow mo, but that is irrelevant, it's never a foul on kane, it's a foul BY kane

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
HOW is that a penalty to Spurs? Kane backs in to lallana as he jumps. That is a foul BY kane. Free kick to Brighton. How has Lallana fouled someone who backs in to him when he is in mid air?
Not sure if it was even in the area, I'd need to see it in slow mo, but that is irrelevant, it's never a foul on kane, it's a foul BY kane

I completely disagree, as did the commentators on the game I was watching. A very clear foul on Kane and a definite penalty (and the VAR replays also clearly showed Kane was on the line when Lallana jumped onto him, hence it being given as a penalty). However, Brighton's goal should certainly have been ruled out by VAR since Hojbjerg was very obviously fouled in the build up. Don't get me wrong, Spurs did not play very well today, but they scored two legitimate goals and Brighton should have had theirs ruled out, so justice was done.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah I have to agree, however badly Spurs played tonight they yet again got the short end of the straw in a VAR decision, this time by the referee rather than VAR itself. Football isn't always fair and I do feel sorry for Brighton after putting in a solid (and better) effort, but tonight should have been 2-0.

I really didn't enjoy watching that game, but it was great to see Bale score in a Spurs shirt again :)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
lejackal said:
theforceuk said:
Spurs are gonna win the league, you heard it here first.

Banned :lol:

:lol:

Saw the Kane incident on MOTD. He definitely bought that penalty- was completely calculated. Lalana is watching the ball, Kane is watching Lallana. However, there was a definite foul in the build up to Brighton's goal, so I guess they evened out.

This cheating for pens has got to be stamped out though- it's appalling. Vardy, Salah, Mane, Kane, Aguero. The list goes on :(

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I agree, but there is loads of bad sportsmanship in football - deliberately kicking the ball at a players arm for a penalty, running the clock down by playing into the corner flag or pretending to have cramp, shouting at the ref, arms around the goalkeeper during a corner, the list goes on. It's just part of the game unfortunately, but I would like to see a bit more respect as you do in other sports.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
weasel said:

I completely disagree, as did the commentators on the game I was watching. A very clear foul on Kane and a definite penalty (and the VAR replays also clearly showed Kane was on the line when Lallana jumped onto him, hence it being given as a penalty). However, Brighton's goal should certainly have been ruled out by VAR since Hojbjerg was very obviously fouled in the build up. Don't get me wrong, Spurs did not play very well today, but they scored two legitimate goals and Brighton should have had theirs ruled out, so justice was done.

I agree on the foul in the build up to Brighton's goal. Only seen two crappy angles of it, but it does look a stonewall foul. That hadn't happened when I posted about the Spurs pen, hence I didn't mention it. As for the "foul" by Lallana being in or out of the area, see my original comment, I haven't seen a decent and slow enough replay to be able to tell. BUT, that is NOT a foul. Kane fouls Lallana, not the other way round. I would love to know how you think Lallana is the guilty party here.

As for Salah's pen, yeah. My reaction in real time was "FFS you're not getting a pen for that, get up." It was the definition of soft. As was Arsenal's at Utd. Yes, there was contact in both cases, but never enough to knock a grown man over. And since when does contact = a pen. Football is a contact sport, hence contact is allowed. Mind you the WH defender and Pogba were both daft for swinging a boot, just stand off him but close enough to stop the shot. In both cases the player had no angle and was headed away from goal. There is nothing to be gained by swinging a boot.

I'm all ears for that Kane penalty though. It's NEVER EVER EVER a foul by Lallana. If I was the VAR gimp I would have been recommending a yellow for Kane, he turns round and back in to Lallana (see the link to twitter I posted) while he is in mid-air, that's dangerous and definitely not a foul by lallana.

Genuinely flabbergasted you think that's a pen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom