Premier League 2019/2020 Thread

jayjedi

Sith Lord
The Dutch have already folded, now the French league, but I read that PSG will play their champions league games in other countries!! So its Ok to infect others just not their own fans, or will their own fans be allowed to travel? I still believe we should call it a day in our own league, just end the season as standings are, not sure about the cups, I guess cancel them, it is a mess but not worth risking peoples' lives for a sport.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Dutch cancelled and voided the season which is an utter farce. It means the whole season is scrapped. What's the point in that? Those teams who are bottom and have been shite all year get rewarded by staying up, and those teams who have done well and are in with a shout of winning something or getting promoted/a European spot get punish by getting FA.

No idea what the PL are going to do.

As I said before, the most sensible option is just to pick up whenever they can. That may mean playing 2 or 3 games a week to get the season finished as quickly as possible and may mean playing behind closed doors but the only disadvantage is that it may mean the following season is slightly impacted.

So what?! What's the logic in abandoning a season when you are three quarters of the way through just so you can start another one from the beginning? Besides, FIFA decided to play a WC in the desert at Xmas so it's not like the calendar is sacrosanct. As it stands teams haven't played the same number of games so it's not fair to just let the table stand. Sheff Utd have a game in hand, win that and they go above Utd and in to a CL spot. Lose it (it's against Villa) and Villa move up out of the relegation places. Even at that, there are probably teams in drop zone who have played Pool, City and Leicester twice and sides who haven't. So even if you take an average of points per game that isn't fair. Especially as it looks like, in the case of ave pts per game, that GD is going to be a deciding factor. "Sorry Bournemouth, you're relegated cos you have a GD that is one worse than West Ham, yes we know you have played Pool and City twice and they haven't but......... **** you!"
Add in Leeds and WBA threatening to sue if they aren't promoted and I don't see any option but to finish the season.
The FAC and CL do make things a bit more complicated. FAC played in a week after season ends, in what is the "summer break" for other clubs. CL/EL is UEFA's issue. I think they want to finish outstanding second legs then go to single leg ties, which makes sense. Though when and where is the issue.

Voiding the season like the Dutch did is the absolute worse out come. That's just a nonsense way of ending things. What's the point in playing if half/three quarters of the way through they just scrap it and make you start again?!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I think your points above highlight why ending on current standings is the worst outcome, as you say it's not fair for many reasons. I personally think if finishing the season is not feasible, most teams would rather call it a day and start again. The only teams I can see having a problem with that are Liverpool who want (and deserve) the title, and Wolves and SFU who have both (IMO) done a Leicester and punhed way above their weight so far. Obviously any opinion on this is going to be hevily influenced by your own supporting bias. Would it suit Spurs and Arsenal fans to have a second chance after their worst season in a decade? Absolutely!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I think the season should be finished no matter what, the first 7 months of the season are a complete waste of time otherwise. The best way to deal with it for me would to be shorten next seasons cups, no replays and a shortened Champions League and Europa League format.

Scrapping the season now is the worst possible outcome for me. What happens if we start next season on time and then we get a second out break next winter, we scrap next season as well?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Obviously any opinion on this is going to be hevily influenced by your own supporting bias.

This is true, but can you really make a case for re-running this season? Do Spurs deserve another shot at CL given how inconsistent they have been this yr? If I was Sheffield Utd and or Leicester there's no chance I would accept missing out on a season in CL and the money prestige that comes with that. Solicitors would be involved. Look at Leeds and WBA, they have already said they will go down that route if they are denied promotion. Given the money at stake (I think Championship Tv rights are 7m per yr per club, PL are ninety something, plus parachute payments of the same over three years. So 7m or nearly 400m. Hello mr solicitor!) it's a no brainer from those club's points of view. We also have the issue of City's ban. If they are now disqualified from CL who gets their spot? And what happens with the seeding, as league winners they were seeded, should the team that came 3rd (Pool finished second but were seeded cos they won it) the previous year be entitled to seeding in pot 1? Not sure UEFA will go for that. So it has implications even further afield.

I can see next season being Sat-midweek-sat-midweek all year. With cups and Europe squeezed in the midweek slots. It may even be a case of the CL sides are told they may well have a domestic cup game 24 hours before or after a CL game and be left doing what Pool had to do this year when they had the World Club Cup farce, and play the kids. The Sponsors may not be happy but I don't see an alternative. I agree, replays and second legs (for domestic cups) will have to be scrapped.
There is even an argument to make CL a single leg tie in knock out stages.
For me that would make it a bit more interesting, as the competition is very stale and predictable. Assuming you play ties in a neutral venue, or group winner at home then pure pot luck in following rounds, it could work.

I just can't see the logic in scrapping a season you are three quarters if the way through, in favour if starting the next one from scratch.

One additional thought, if you scrap/void this season, what do you do about PL prize money? Do Sheffield Utd get Championship level prize money? Are Huddersfield, who have stunk out the Championship, going to be awarded PL prize money? If you swap out the 3 relegated clubs for the 3 promoted ones, why should Sheffield Utd accept a bottom 3 level of prize money (PL prize money is split depending on where you finish, with an equal lump sum for all clubs based on total TV rights) when they may well have qualified for the CL. The difference is in the region of £25-30million, before we even consider the money they miss by not being in the CL.
That sort of money is prob equivalent to Sheffield Utd's entire budget this season.
If you decide just to put it all in a pot and divide it evenly, is that "fair"? Do Norwich deserve as much as City and Pool? I'm not sure, at least I hope, those two sides would not complain openly if that happened but it hardly seems fair. It will also mean that Norwich have a financial wind fall miles ahead of any other relegated club. It will probably all but guarantee them instant promotion back to the PL, especially with the parachute payments on top. How is that "fair" to the other Championship clubs.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
As a person that regularly posts here, :? but does have a bit more than a passing interest in football...
I can see all the pitfalls of ending, voiding and playing this season out, but would it be an option to combine this partial season with the 20/21 season?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
So again my opinion is completely biased, but the reason SFU and Wolves are in European contention is because Arsenal, Spurs and to a degree Man United have all had their worst seasons for a decade. They have up to 20 points less than they did not only last season, but in any previous recent season. So Wolves and SFU are not doing as well as they appear to be, they are not among the best teams in the country, they are simply playing 'less badly' than three of the big six who are going through bad (make that catastrophic) patches. Their points tallies would put them sitting mid table in any of the last dozen seasons.

Bitter? Yes a bit :) but would you not feel slightly robbed if your team were in the CL final last season, yet out of this seasons competiton and have no prospect of making next seasons competition either?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Here you go, week 29 of 2018/2019 and 2019/2020. Spurs -20, Arsenal -17, MU -13. Leicester would be 7th, Chelsea 8th, Wolves 9th, and SFU 10th. This has been a freak season, one I'd quite happily see the back of :)

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 14.06.49.png

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 14.06.26.png

Interestingly, despite the massive drop in points Spurs have identical form to the same period last season, the beginning of the rot perhaps?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
The reason SFU and Wolves are in European contention is because Arsenal, Spurs and to a degree Man United have all had their worst seasons for a decade.

Ohhh, I take your point and it is a valid one. But coming at it from the other side, why do Spurs, Arsenal and Utd deserve another shot at it? They have the advantage of finances, squad depth, experience etc and still had a stinker. Surely those sides who have done better with much fewer resources and or poorer squads deserve a chance at Europe?
Otherwise we are rewarding failure again. "Ohhh look, big sides, you had a stinker so let's just scrap that season and pretend it didn't happen."

Granted Leicester and Sheff Utd (in particular) will be totally out of their depth in the CL, but for me they earned the right to at least give it a go by being the best of the rest.
Utd, Arsenal, and Spuds deserve the punishment of EL or no European footy for being so bad this season.

Pool had no European footy a few yrs ago and still made a CL final in their first season back in Europe.

lejackal

Grand Master
I stand by this;

8945566C-AB22-449B-9205-3C5C29D8075B.jpeg

Not ideal but what solution is, even completing the games has its problems around contracts, sponsorships, kit deals etc.

Pool get their title, the other European places are broadly fair based on performance thus far (even if I always thought we would make the EL) and no one goes down. Obviously those in the championship vying for a play off place will be pissed, as will the clubs not in the auto places further down the pyramid.

Not that I think it will happen. The season will either be played to its conclusion or will be wiped off.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
That won't help fixture congestion though. You're adding four more league games. Not sure the CL sides will be overly keen on that.
Plus there is still the issue of rewarding failure (Norwich, I'm looking at you) , what you do about prize money and it has a knock on effect in the Championship, or League two if you you apply the same rules to Championship and League One.

The top 3 are fairly safe in CL spot, albeit City may be banned. The fourth CL spot, or third and fourth if City are banned, are too close to call though.

4th Chelsea 48pts GD +12
5th Utd 45pts GD +14
6th Wolves 43pts GD +7
7th Sheff Utd 43 pts GD +5 GAME IN HAND
8th Spurs 41pts GD +7
9th Arse 40pts GD +4 GAME IN HAND

That's six sides who all have a realistic shot at a CL spot. Arse and S.U win their games in hand (Arsenal's is against City so unlikely) and 7pts separate the six teams with 9 games to go. Plus two EL spots and a 3rd if City win FAC.

The bottom is tighter. Two points between four sides, two of whom will be relegated and one of them (Villa) has the previously discussed game in hand.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I would completely agree with you if the season was done and dusted, you can't argue with a completed league table. But with 9 or 10 games to go, there is still a lot to play for. Any of those teams in 3rd-6th could still end up mid table. Spurs have a habit of dropping 20 odd points in the last quarter of the season, what if this was the year they have their bad patch early on and storm the rest of the season? That's why I think ending it now is the worst outcome, from a purely selfish but also objective point of view, the only fair outcomes are completing the season or canning it.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
There is also normally one side who looks safe but manages to win 1 of their last 10 games and ends up right in the mix for the drop come the final day.

All club loyalty aside, how good would it be if the season was finished off with a game every 2 or 3 days and all were shown on free to air TV or sky/BT dropped their paywall as has been mooted. It would be like a PL World Cup. A game every day or so and most of them with something at stake.
It would almost be worth the last 7 weeks without any football.****

TBF at this stage I'd happily watch the world's dullest ever 0-0.

**** As long as Adrian isn't playing, I still haven't forgotten what you did, you utter bell end.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
And at the other end of the table it's too early to write off West Ham or Bournemouth, weren't Leicester looking equally doomed at this point the season before they fluked the title!?

Yes I'm really missing watching sport, it was about the only excuse I had to get a couple of hours away from the family!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm missing it big time, even though Liverpool have won the league, going to be a strange May. I don't think anyone predicted this in the premier league predictions thread, under the random predictions. :lol:

yoda

Sith Lord
Lads like you guys I'm a big sports fan just not so much soccer. It frustrating for everyone that enjoys sports. I always enjoy reading this thread it can be fun. But the way things are going I really can't see any contact or team sports for awhile. These players are not immune or their families. Even any sports behind closed doors carry high infection risk if someone is a carrier.
I know how much you all are missing the soccer from reading this. I'd keep an eye on how things develop in Italy and Spain. That might give you a pointer. We are running a few weeks behind regarding the outbreak and slowing this virus because it hit those countries hard first before here. It will level out but time frame is hard to predict. Hopefully with the measures in place we'll soon be up and running.

yoda

Sith Lord
weasel said:
What the **** is "soccer"????? :wink:

:lol: Something you might only be dreaming about for awhile if a vaccination isn't found :)

How you holding out? It's **** alright for everyone. Can you get out for a bit of freedom? Indoors alot is very tough for everyone. I don't even know what day it is any more :? Talk of ph apps coming in maybe that will help open things up slowly for us.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
yoda said:
weasel said:
What the **** is "soccer"????? :wink:

:lol: Something you might only be dreaming about for awhile if a vaccination isn't found :)

How you holding out? It's **** alright for everyone. Can you get out for a bit of freedom? Indoors alot is very tough for everyone. I don't even know what day it is any more :? Talk of ph apps coming in maybe that will help open things up slowly for us.

Aye a third floor flat with a toddler is class fun.
TBF the wee man is too young to know any different and he is very good, but it would be nice to be able to go outside or do SOMETHING.

How you getting on? Plenty of fields out your way for you to fire the kids out into. Or did Social Services see that picture of them in the Spurs shirts and do the decent thing :wink: :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom