Objective viewing of Episodes 4-7

sith-smith

Grand Master
:evil:

Jedi is my favourite for sure!!

I was about 11 when that come out. :D So too young to appreciate the impact of ESB and not too old to think of Jedi as a bit childish.

That said there are a couple of scenes that annoy, which I don't really have with the other original films.

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
edd_jedi said:
RifleSmile said:
TFA over ROTJ for me !

Banned :lol:

Out of interest are you one of the older collectors? There are many people who don't like Jedi much, and they all seem to be the people that were 7-10 while SW and ESB were out, but a little older by the time Jedi was released so had a kind of rebellious dislike of the Ewoks.

How dare you Edd! :lol: I am but a mere spring chicken at 40! So I was prime ROTJ Fodder being aged 7 when it was released. As I said I enjoyed it at the time (and still do) but it never stuck with me the same way ANH and ESB did.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
After watching TFA again, my liking for it has soured a little. Now that i look at it more Driver seems to be completely the wrong choice to play Ren. He seems to be the same mold as HC. Daisy and Jon seemed to be acting too hard in some parts aswell. Some of the dialogue was very corny and it just doesnt have the full on Star Wars vibe, although i will say it is better than AOTC :D

Now seeing as though i was a negative bastard into the run up of the movie, i think its still a great movie for both the old and new generations. Id put it 5th after ROTS in 4th, with the OT being tops :D

A solid 6/10 for me now.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
_Lee_ said:
Now that i look at it more Driver seems to be completely the wrong choice to play Ren. He seems to be the same mold as HC. Daisy and Jon seemed to be acting too hard in some parts aswell. Some of the dialogue was very corny

Yep that pretty much sums up my thoughts too. Still an enjoyable film, but let down by casting and acting. They are obviously trying to appeal to the Harry Potter/Twilight crowd with Ren. It should have been somebody older and more sinister.

In its defence, I think Poe and Finn's characters and acting are very good.

Joe

Grand Master
There are definitely a few tiny bits of dialogue in TFA that I'm not totally OK with but I think for the most part all of the cast pulled off good (if not great) performances. Driver played a pretty convincing villain with the mask on but also did really well without it (especially the Han scene & final fight(s)). Boyega and Poe had great chemistry throughout and although I can see how Ridley's performance could annoy people I think it's more to do with her lines and people not believing (or wanting to believe) that she was capable of things like fixing the falcon/flying the falcon or using a lightsaber.

FWIW I didn't like Finn's forced American accent when he says "we need cover, quick" but it's literally the only point in the film where I couldn't tell Boyega wasn't American. There are a few moments with Driver sans mask sounds like Kermit the frog that I wish they had recorded again but then again that is his real voice and he was playing a tricky character again with difficult lines. I would imagine it's hard to make a scene like the Han death scene as emotional as it needs to be when you are playing a guy trying his best to hide his true feelings and emotions in front of his on screen father!

Like I said way back after first seeing it, the things I don't like about TFA are minor irritations and really, which film doesn't have errors or bits that make you cringe? I think it's a great film and I've seen it about 8 times now.

For some reason I still struggle with Jedi as an adult, I always skip the same parts of it and I can't remember the last time I watched it from start to finish without doing that. I love the start, I love the end - but the rest is boring (yoda passing away) puppets (most of the Jabba scenes) and then those wonderful midgets in fur.

I think in comparison TFA definitely holds my attention for longer and has less moments where I really feel like skipping to the next scene although I've probably seen Jedi hundreds of times and TFA only 8 times in comparsion, so maybe it's just a case of me being fed up of watching Jedi?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom