Natural degradation

scooternick

Jedi Knight
Does anyone have any thoughts about the natural life expectancy of a MOC, in particular the bubble? I have my MOCS in star cases housed in a dark cupboard and I noticed a pretty nasty set of cracks on one of my bubbles which wasn't there last time I checked. I'm pretty sure the card hasn't been mishandled so is this a spontaneous failure of the bubble plastic? I understand that acrylic may offer greater protection than a star case but is it inevitable the materials used for packaging MOCS will degrade and fail eventually, regardless of how they are stored? Cheers.

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
In those days action figures were not produced to last forever, so the plastic will become more brittle in time. For now the bubbles of my MOC's look pretty good, but there are some with slight cracks and scratches. I don't have a clue how long they will last in this 'good' state. But my vintage action figures from my childhood developed brown spots after some years on their limbs, especially the snow troopers. Someone called it a kind of 'rotting plastic' and it looked like the figures had some kind of disease :lol:

Of course the plastic proces has nothing to do with rotting in the sense of food, but it's more like 'leaking'. Just look at frosting on some figures, even when they are carded. I have this vintage carded mexican biker scout where they punched the back of the card with a pen to keep the bubble from yellowing. The bubble is still clear and looks firm, but I don't know if this will last for a long time. Guess we all find out after many years... :shock:

jayums

Jedi Master
The figures will be around long enough for anybody reading this forum to worry about - less confident about paint and the bubbles - it will come down to careful storage (controlling light, temp and humidity etc), and a lot of luck.
All of which might be a good reason not to spend several grand on a moc as a long term investment... But then again the decay lottery would make the surviving mocs rarer still, and all things being equal (and having made it this far), those in the best condition today have the best chance of still being in the best condition tomorrow.

lejackal

Grand Master
jayums said:
those in the best condition today have the best chance of still being in the best condition tomorrow.

Right until this stuff happens :wink:

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5371

jayums

Jedi Master
lejackal said:
jayums said:
those in the best condition today have the best chance of still being in the best condition tomorrow.

Right until this stuff happens :wink:

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5371

:lol: what a nightmare... I did write best chance to be fair.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
No one really knows. All we do know is these toys were never designed to last the 35 or so years they have lasted, and no one really knows how long they will last.

Enjoy what you have.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
When We are at peace and laid to rest,
Our collection passed on to Son or daughter from death grip to wrest.
These little pieces of history, still they will be,
In far better shape than you or me,
The trick, for all of us is clear,
Is to enjoy our passion whilst we are here,
As time for no man it will wait,
So resign yourself to this fate,
We are but custodians of our little friends,
We enjoy this hobby but when it ends,
A legacy we pass to those who care,
Who hopefully with the same wonder will stand and stare,
At what we have amassed during our time on earth,
And by then God knows how much it's worth!
But we have had our time, left our mark,
Maybe our passion in another we spark,
So my friends, enjoy the here, enjoy the now
Until we take our final bow,
Do your best whilst here, to others be decent, honest and true,
Let's face it what you have you cant take with you :D

:lol: the natural degradation that I see looking back at me in a mirror is far more serious :lol:

scooternick

Jedi Knight
Michael Sith said:

:lol: the natural degradation that I see looking back at me in a mirror is far more serious :lol:

Love this and so true. Unless someone creates a MOC in carbonite facility, the inevitable will happen....!

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
scooternick said:
Does anyone have any thoughts about the natural life expectancy of a MOC, in particular the bubble? I have my MOCS in star cases housed in a dark cupboard and I noticed a pretty nasty set of cracks on one of my bubbles which wasn't there last time I checked. I'm pretty sure the card hasn't been mishandled so is this a spontaneous failure of the bubble plastic? I understand that acrylic may offer greater protection than a star case but is it inevitable the materials used for packaging MOCS will degrade and fail eventually, regardless of how they are stored? Cheers.

Put some pics up so we can see what you mean.

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
I have had a few figures that were in loose lots that's i've bought that had the brown spots like the Luke in the pic below, a few people have said that the spots can spread to other figures so I sold the ones with spots just in case, anyone know if they definitely can spread ? All the ones i've ever seen with the spots were Hong Kong COO's so maybe different plastics were used for those ?

lejackal

Grand Master
If it's mold or fungus then I imagine it could spread but I have no experience of this

scooternick

Jedi Knight
jedisearcher said:
scooternick said:

Attachments

• 20160528_182429.jpg
    20160528_182429.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 725

scooternick

Jedi Knight
scooternick said:
jedisearcher said:
scooternick said:

Both these had undamaged bubbles when bought by me (apart from yellowing of WM) and they've been handled pretty carefully throughout. I know Anakins are susceptible. Maybe it depends on bubble materials. On comparison some MOCs definitely seem to have a thicker feel to them than others?

Joe

Grand Master
Michael Sith said:

When can we buy your Vintage Star Wars related poetry book Mike?? That was a cracker! :)

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
:lol:
It would be a short quick read,
Then consigned to the shelf for a long time indeed,
May be deemed a pointless Tome,
Not found in many a home,
To pale into anonymity it would go missing,
Not unlike J R Hartleys book on Fly Fishing :lol:

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
ChallengerFox said:
I have had a few figures that were in loose lots that's i've bought that had the brown spots like the Luke in the pic below, a few people have said that the spots can spread to other figures so I sold the ones with spots just in case, anyone know if they definitely can spread ? All the ones i've ever seen with the spots were Hong Kong COO's so maybe different plastics were used for those ?

These are the spots I recognize from my own snow trooper figures. I sold them years ago, and when I buy a bulk of vintage figures, I always sell the ones with spots. Somehow I am afraid that they can spread to other figures, although I am not sure because it is a feeling :roll:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mr. Tie said:
ChallengerFox said:

These are the spots I recognize from my own snow trooper figures. I sold them years ago, and when I buy a bulk of vintage figures, I always sell the ones with spots. Somehow I am afraid that they can spread to other figures, although I am not sure because it is a feeling :roll:

I do not think it can spread to other figures. I think then it would have done it years ago. I have also found some in childhood collections. Not many but a few.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
I personally have never known a bubble to crack without some sort of resultant force applied. Have known bubbles to go yellow without any obvious reason, typically Kenner POTF :!:

I think(and hope :? ) vintage MOCs will remain intact during our life time.

indianawars

Sith Lord
I honestly don't think things will fall apart anytime soon... Take the 1978 MOC's, those things are like new still, and the case fresh MOC's sold by vectis. The only damaged done to them is by human error. Sure the bubbles on the later stuff are turning yellow, but I no doubt some bright spark will come up with a spray or solution to cover the bubble like an invisible second skin... The only real issue time has taken its toll on is the sellotape on the boxed items.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom