Music.

starshipriot

Jedi Master
Hey fellas

Being 26 I think I am a bit younger than some of you other guys on here. But today we took my girlfriends neice to her first gig. Music is a huuuge part of my life and I have rode the line pretty well between being a geeky Star Wars collector and someone who loves music.
We took her to see Bring Me the Horizon, a band that were coming to fame back in 2006, and I remember reading a kerrang! article where the singer said " We're gonna be the next Metallica." I snorted to myself and shook my head. Well, a decade later and I am sat in the Hydro in Glasgow, a venue reserved for BIG bands like AC/DC and Metallica. So I could be wrong!

But watching their show, I'm real dissapointed. Maybe I am older than my years. But it seems so refined and stale. There are tons of little girls screaming at them and it's just not great. Halfway through, they asked "Who's pretty gutted about Trump?". I replied to my girfriend, "Me!". Their reply was, "Who doesn't give a ****!!?" before they broke into their next song. Cool. Just 'cos it doesn't interfere in your hectic rockstar lives too much, it doesn't mean it won't have an influemce on a lot of people. I don't care if you voted for or against Trump, it's naive to think it won't make a difference to a lot of people considering he has made it clear what he stands for.

I am a liberal person and am genuinely concerned with the way lately that society has geared towards certain viewpoints and decisions lately (in America and here). I know I am naive, but do accept what democracy is and that it has happened. Still think folk should care about other people like.

Anyway, I gone too political. I'm drunk. Excuse moi. But the gig was shite. Legit, best gig I been to was the North West Punk calling 2013 or 14 I think, in Manchester. It was the Damned and the UK subs headlining after a whole day of punk bands, like angelic upstarts etc. I was in a glam punk rock band at the time, and wore a a ton of makeup and scarves and **** to the gig and hit the moshpits and fractured my arm. The medical team tied my arm up in one of my scarves and I went back into the pits, not quite realising my arm was ****ed! There was an afterparty afterwards under the venue in a bar, and I met the UK subs and Captain Sensible from the Damned. I had a drink with the Subs and Charlie Harper gave me a harmonica lesson, and Captain sensible let me try his shades on. I'm friends with Alvin from the subs to this day and still play harmonica.
I ended up sleeping rough in manchester picadilly station that night which was proper shitty. Ended up getting into scraps with folks who objected to what I was wearing. But also met a bunch of ravers who rolled me three joints to kill the pain of my arm.

Anyway, it was such a fun gig! There are a few modern bands I like, but some seem so stagnant and boring and tonight was deffo that. Maybe I am just someone who thinks music from generations before was better, but tonight left a lot to be desired! The neice enjoyed it though in a 'meh' kinda way. :/

Richard_H

Grand Master
The last band that I can say released great music for me was Skid Row. I enjoy I lot of bands that set up in the 70s and 80s but I've heard nothing from a band started from the 90s onwards that gripped me.

Off to see Black Sabbath in January and although I enjoyed their latest album it's party sad that a 40 year old band had one of the best albums of that year. We were spoilt in the 80s with Guns n Roses, Metallica, Crue.... the list goes on.

90s changed with Pearl Jam and Nirvana who were hugely overrated. Rock hasn't recovered because the quality isn't there. I still check out new releases from bands like Alice Cooper, Aerosmith etc and enjoy them. But there's at least one generation of rock that's missing. Sometimes I get those Kerrang best of.... CDs and if I'm lucky I'll like 1 track. Check the band out and may like 3 tracks from an album then lose interest.

starshipriot

Jedi Master
Richard_H said:
The last band that I can say released great music for me was Skid Row. I enjoy I lot of bands that set up in the 70s and 80s but I've heard nothing from a band started from the 90s onwards that gripped me.

Off to see Black Sabbath in January and although I enjoyed their latest album it's party sad that a 40 year old band had one of the best albums of that year. We were spoilt in the 80s with Guns n Roses, Metallica, Crue.... the list goes on.

90s changed with Pearl Jam and Nirvana who were hugely overrated. Rock hasn't recovered because the quality isn't there. I still check out new releases from bands like Alice Cooper, Aerosmith etc and enjoy them. But there's at least one generation of rock that's missing. Sometimes I get those Kerrang best of.... CDs and if I'm lucky I'll like 1 track. Check the band out and may like 3 tracks from an album then lose interest.

I love Skid Row. I'm guessing you mean 80s hard rock band, not the 60s band I think clapton was in?
We went to see Motley for their final tour and Alice Cooper supported which was a helluva show. I think even folks who might not like the music aspect of bands like that will appreciate the level of theatricality and effort put into each show. It's a visual spectacle as well as music.
I think it's such a shame modern bands don't have that level of quality. The last band I saw in Kerrang and thought "Ooh they look interesting" was a band called Black Veil Brides back in 2008. They looked like they were ripped straight from the '80s so anticipated some sleazy hard rock riffs. I listened to a few songs off their first album and it was just awful, just generic screaming stuff. A couple of years later they did a song called 'fallen angels' which was a lot more hard rock sounding but by then I wasn't really interested in going out of my way to listen to their other stuff.
I have been in a few bands over the years and know a few friends whose bands have got signed to labels. But though they're not bad musically, they wont be selling out huuge venues just because they aren't promoted as the next big thing. I think it's a shame that even today it's record labels what dictate what is 'popular'.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Saw UK subs at the Union Hotel in Colne in 1979 8) met Charlie Harper then.

Saw bands like the Clash, Buzzcocks ( saw them in Blackburn with a little known band supporting them ...The Tourists with Annie Lennox) Crass, SLF, the Damned, loads of punk bands back in the day, even Adam and The Ants before he became an Indian :lol: the original album Dirk wears white sox, with original Antmusic was pretty good in the day.
Moved on to Joy Division, Smiths in the Hacienda days 8) 8)

Most recent gig was Christine and the Queens at Manchester Apollo, they were brilliant live.

yoda

Sith Lord
My only concert which really stood out for me was when Metallica wer over. At the end Ulrich fired his drumsticks and Hetfield a few plectrums into the "pit"and after a bit of handbags I managed to fall on top of a plectrum and wasn't for letting go. I still have it and it brings a little smile to me every time I look at it.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Sorry for the bump 5-6 weeks later, but I'm just playing catch up over the last several months.

I see several people mentioning hard rock from the 80's.

The music IS out there guys. It's just become so underground it's not easy to find.

Anyone into that particular genre needs to listen to Steel Panther. Lyrics are written like parody, but the musicianship and sound is 100% Crue and other bands of the time.

Other bands I strongly suggest you guys check out are in the following videos.

[youtube]xyLantEtsJw[/youtube]

[youtube]ZtNs11_eoLk[/youtube]

[youtube]kBkMulOPWZA[/youtube]

[youtube]zxpELoYyIkY[/youtube]

[youtube]WNyKthUuwTo[/youtube]

Amazingly, many of the best bands of the genre are coming out of Scandinavia the last few years.

Ian

yoda

Sith Lord
Ian_C said:
Sorry for the bump 5-6 weeks later, but I'm just playing catch up over the last several months.

I see several people mentioning hard rock from the 80's.

The music IS out there guys. It's just become so underground it's not easy to find.

Anyone into that particular genre needs to listen to Steel Panther. Lyrics are written like parody, but the musicianship and sound is 100% Crue and other bands of the time.

Other bands I strongly suggest you guys check out are in the following videos.

[youtube]xyLantEtsJw[/youtube]

[youtube]ZtNs11_eoLk[/youtube]

[youtube]kBkMulOPWZA[/youtube]

[youtube]zxpELoYyIkY[/youtube]

[youtube]WNyKthUuwTo[/youtube]

Amazingly, many of the best bands of the genre are coming out of Scandinavia the last few years.

Ian

I will check those out Ian, I have started listening to some of 'tool' I had never heard of them before but was told about them. So I have listened to just a few bits so far.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom