latest film/ dvd you have seen

stormcab

Sith Lord
timbo72 said:
Just watched inglorious basterds again. Great film with great acting and fantastic script.

Top film. Was confused at first with the Hitler ending. I thought "well that's not historically accurate" lol.

Recently seen Mad Max Thunder Road. Brilliantly made film. Excellent recreation of the action filming style from the originals. The guitarist whose guitar shot out flames was perfectly mental.

x-pack

Grand Master
stormcab said:
timbo72 said:
Just watched inglorious basterds again. Great film with great acting and fantastic script.

Top film. Was confused at first with the Hitler ending. I thought "well that's not historically accurate" lol.

One of my favourite films. It's a film I wish I could watch over again for the first time. Some of the scenes are absolutely gripping

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
x-pack said:
stormcab said:
timbo72 said:

One of my favourite films. It's a film I wish I could watch over again for the first time. Some of the scenes are absolutely gripping

Great film, right up until the ending when it becomes a complete and utter piece of shite. I actually through the DVD out.
It's a pet pev of mine, but I'm sorry you can't go re-writing history like that. Would be nice if Hitler had died in Paris in whatever year it was, but he didn't. Millions more people had to die before he did. Re-writing history like that is tantamount to pissing on their graves, IMO.

Ohhh and guess what, history is re-written so the Americans come out of it better, what are the odds! :roll:

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
If anyone's looking for a movie to watch this weekend I recommend Whiplash. Just watched it on blu-ray last week and I think its on Sky Movies at the moment.

Its a great film especially of you're a musician or appreciate music. You're on tenderhooks the whole time with the tension! :D

stormcab

Sith Lord
Whiplash. Proper class. Has to be the perfect ending, and I mean that very last frame.

Although technically documentaries, they were films - Spandau Ballet - Soul Boys Of The Western World, and Amy. Mostly told through archive and camcorder footage. Just done really well in the editing suite to really give you a sense of their beginnings, the high points, and then low points. These will be some of the last times we see old camcorder footage used for historical moments, which gives a great sense of the passage of time. With everyone having HD enabled phones and cameras, and fashions really not having changed (arguably) in the last 10-15 years, video of people from being a baby, right up until adulthood, will not really give any sense of time passing.

x-pack

Grand Master
I like music documentaries but can't say I enjoyed 'Amy'. Then again I don't like Amy Winehouse :? To me she's someone who had it all and threw it away. That boyfriend of hers was clearly a leach and she was too damaged to either see it or do anything about it. Just a couple of scag heads with money in the end, and Amy was clearly in no mental state to handle stardom. But I will admit that she had talent, particularly when it came to song writing ...not that I like any of her songs. But there was clearly something more to her work than just silly pop songs.

Not for me i'm afraid.

stormcab

Sith Lord
x-pack said:
I like music documentaries but can't say I enjoyed 'Amy'. Then again I don't like Amy Winehouse :? To me she's someone who had it all and threw it away. That boyfriend of hers was clearly a leach and she was too damaged to either see it or do anything about it. Just a couple of scag heads with money in the end, and Amy was clearly in no mental state to handle stardom. But I will admit that she had talent, particularly when it came to song writing ...not that I like any of her songs. But there was clearly something more to her work than just silly pop songs.

Not for me i'm afraid.

Very true on the song writing. I own none of her music, and it's not my sort of thing, but I can tell the difference between something not being my taste, and something I don't like. It's like Adele or The Smiths - I can tell there is real one off talent there, but if they came on the radio or TV, I'd turn it over.

Must admit it was easy to laugh and dismiss Amy when she was alive, and not be surprised when she died, but to see how her life took the toll it did on a mentally unstable person was very sad. Her talent won her awards here and the US, but that sort of emotion/talent/genius is usually only due to the mess in their heads.

stormcab

Sith Lord
Finally saw Jurassic World. WTF was all the fuss about?? How did this make so much money? Pretty much just did what TFA did and use the same plot as the original. Absolutely nothing new, terrible hyper real CGI, flat characters, blah blah blah..... set up for a 5th "why didn't we learn anything from the previous 4 outings?"

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Anyone seen The Revenant yet?

Just watched The 36th Chamber of Shaolin that I recorded.
Hadn't seen it for over 20 years.
Film 4 is showing a lot of the late 70's Kung Fu films on Friday nights.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
tobedesu said:
Anyone seen The Revenant yet?

Just watched The 36th Chamber of Shaolin that I recorded.
Hadn't seen it for over 20 years.
Film 4 is showing a lot of the late 70's Kung Fu films on Friday nights.

Is that the Shaw Brothers film?
So many of these Shaolin focussed films came out in a very short period... The one I remember was about a town loser who was determined to train, did loads of 'chores' at the temple and in the process became the town hero; writing that it sounds very much like The Karate Kid!
I'll certainly be looking on the film four pages...

timbo72

Sith Lord
So yesterday I went to see CREED. What a good film, well shot, acted and directed. For somebody who grew up with Rocky, it was a great nod to the past but a look at the future. Sad in places but a good start to a new generation of films. Well worth a watch

Lonebudman

Jedi Knight
I seen 'The Revenant' the other day and it was fantastic.Leonardo DiCaprio put in a truly epic performance in this film and I believe he truly deserves an Oscar for it.He goes through Hell for most of the movie.The bear mauling scene was pretty damn scary and I haven't seen a better depiction of that kind of attack on screen.It's a very atmospheric movie that really brings home the bleakness of the location.Tom Hardy was aslo very good though it was difficult to make out what he was saying at times.
Well worth a watch!

Also seen 'The Martian' recently and loved it too.Matt Damon I feel was perfect for this movie.It's a bit similar to 'The Revenant' in the sense that these guys are alone and have to survive against the odds in a really **** situation in a very bad enviroment.You do find yourself willing them on to survive against the odds.There was only one bad bit of science too complain about but all the rest of it is spot on due to the involvement of NASA.
There are some real laugh out loud moments too.A real gem of a movie.

I watched Quentin Tarantinos 'The Hateful Eight' a couple of weeks back as well.It seems to have divided opinions with Tarantino fans even in my own household,but I have to say I really enjoyed it.Theres always comedy in his films but I laughed sore watching this one especially at Samuel l Jackons goading of a certain General.You could touch on the other tones of this movie but i'll leave it at that.I swear to God that Kurt Russell based his character on 'Yosemite Sam',though a slightly more adult version of him lol.Anyways as I say I enjoyed it.

stormcab

Sith Lord
Lonebudman said:
I seen 'The Revenant' the other day and it was fantastic.Leonardo DiCaprio put in a truly epic performance in this film and I believe he truly deserves an Oscar for it.He goes through Hell for most of the movie.The bear mauling scene was pretty damn scary and I haven't seen a better depiction of that kind of attack on screen.It's a very atmospheric movie that really brings home the bleakness of the location.Tom Hardy was aslo very good though it was difficult to make out what he was saying at times.
Well worth a watch!

Also seen 'The Martian' recently and loved it too.Matt Damon I feel was perfect for this movie.It's a bit similar to 'The Revenant' in the sense that these guys are alone and have to survive against the odds in a really **** situation in a very bad enviroment.You do find yourself willing them on to survive against the odds.There was only one bad bit of science too complain about but all the rest of it is spot on due to the involvement of NASA.
There are some real laugh out loud moments too.A real gem of a movie.

I watched Quentin Tarantinos 'The Hateful Eight' a couple of weeks back as well.It seems to have divided opinions with Tarantino fans even in my own household,but I have to say I really enjoyed it.Theres always comedy in his films but I laughed sore watching this one especially at Samuel l Jackons goading of a certain General.You could touch on the other tones of this movie but i'll leave it at that.I swear to God that Kurt Russell based his character on 'Yosemite Sam',though a slightly more adult version of him lol.Anyways as I say I enjoyed it.

Good to hear. Looking forward to seeing these 3. I rarely go to the cinema as I like to just wait for them to come out on Lovefilm. Way cheaper this way too, and no annoying buggers around you coughing, crunching, chatting :D

timbo72

Sith Lord
Well two films just watched
Hatefull 8: Great film, Stella cast and perfect Tarantino fodder............great music score too

Legend: Wasn't expecting too much but actually enjoyed it tbh. Tom Hardy played it well and good editing cgi

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I just watched this at the weekend:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092240/

One of the best films I've seen for ages! Had never heard of it before, was recommended it by a friend. It's like a **** 80s b-movie but with half-decent acting and special effects. No doubt inspired by the popularity of Knight Rider at the time. Really enjoyed it :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom