Klaatu Barada Nikto

Droopy

Padawan
I'm watching Tron on BBC2 (great film) and there's a scene where a guy is sitting in his office cubicle and I noticed that he had a banner pinned to the wall with the quote "Gort Klaatu Barada Nikto" which I thought was weird.

Anyway I googled it and it turns out the phrase is from the 1951 film The Day The Earth Stood Still. Apparently the phrase is uttered to the robot Gort to stop him from destroying the earth!

George Lucas must be a fan and used the film as inspiration for character names! Apologies if this is common knowledge but I thought it was an interesting little factoid.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
That's wicked, I didn't know that. Just shows, everything comes from somewhere. George Lucas was certainly a Sci-Fi fan, growing up he was into Sci-Fi series of the 50's like Flash Gordon as well.

grinchy

Sith Lord
Yeah i knew about the names, but its still some cool info that some people wouldn't have heard about,they also used klaatu barada nickto in the third evil dead movie as part of the spell used to open the book of the dead
I was watching george talk about his love of fifties movies in a documentary on the forbiden planet movie dvd last night, very interesting stuff

kingshearer

Jedi Master
It's a great film I have it in my collection and remember realising the password was those 3 Star Wars figures after I started collecting the toys again I kept rewinding the video since I couldn't believe my ears.

Droopy

Padawan
Yeah I didn't think it would be new information to most of you guys but I thought it was cool that I found out a Star Wars fact while watching Tron that led me to The Day The Earth Stood Still (which I haven't seen but can't wait to) and reminded me of Evil Dead (which I have seen but didn't get the reference! :D

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Never new this, great info. George Lucas loves those old movies so not suprised.

Will

Padawan
Didn't know this but I love the story and what a fantastic way to acknowledge one on of the movies that inspired Lucas

The real shame is that these days you'd probably just end up getting sued for copyright infringement!

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Droopy said:
Yeah I didn't think it would be new information to most of you guys but I thought it was cool that I found out a Star Wars fact while watching Tron that led me to The Day The Earth Stood Still (which I haven't seen but can't wait to) and reminded me of Evil Dead (which I have seen but didn't get the reference! :D
I know this is the wrong thread but is Tron any good? A film that I've never managed to see for some reason or t'other.

Droopy

Padawan
kingshearer said:
Droopy said:
I know this is the wrong thread but is Tron any good? A film that I've never managed to see for some reason or t'other.

I think it's a great film and Jeff Bridges is a legend so worth a watch just because of him (and also now for the Day the Earth Stood Still/Star Wars Easter egg)

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Droopy said:
kingshearer said:
Droopy said:

I think it's a great film and Jeff Bridges is a legend so worth a watch just because of him (and also now for the Day the Earth Stood Still/Star Wars Easter egg)
:D Yes I'll have to watch it now cheers.

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
kingshearer said:
Droopy said:

Possibly one of the best movies ever!.....If you've seen Tron: Legacy and thought 'MEH' I urge you to see the original.....soooooo much better and the effects for the time were amazing

kingshearer

Jedi Master
robpmarsh said:
kingshearer said:
Droopy said:

Possibly one of the best movies ever!.....If you've seen Tron: Legacy and thought 'MEH' I urge you to see the original…..soooooo much better and the effects for the time were amazing
Thanks Rob, about time I seen a decent picture, I guess I just avoided it as it looked like some 80's style special effects extravaganza which would hurt my eyes and have very little plot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom