Job interview... What to wear?

escapist

Jedi Knight
This is gonna sound like the lamest question ever....

Right I got a job interview this week! Its a significant pay increase though my current job is secure and I have no real desire to leave....

Anyway I have blossomed since I last applied for a job five years ago. And nothing I wore then fits.

At present I have a black suit (for 'occasions', funerals etc) but someone told me that black suit to a job interview is a death knell.

Is this total bollocks?? Or should I venture down Primark or something and pick up a new suit?

jackabina

Sith Lord
Total bollocks. As long as you smart, and appropriate to the environment in which you will be working, job done. Good luck by the way :D

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I Agree, for work I have 2 aquascutum suits one grey and one black, also have a black Hugo Boss...which I have worn for interviews

Always looks good with a white shirt, break it up with a nice quality tie, not too loud plain or a subtle pattern

Black suits look really smart, especially if you wear white shirt and cuff links

But it's what you feel comfortable in.

Nowadays the old fashioned link with funerals and black is not adhered to like it was, so go for it mate and all the best of luck :wink: hope you get it :D

mumbo

Sith Lord
A truly dedicated SW fan would wear a costume of their favourite character and feel comfortable doing it :wink:

rob71

Sith Lord
All the best mate - the suit is really just showing that you will fit in etc, so as Mike said the more understated the better, if your black suit fits then no need to look for another one. They are looking more for people that stand out for the wrong reasons by dressing inappropriately.

Then again, you could try the SW costume / Jedi mind trick combo instead :wink:

escapist

Jedi Knight
Cheers guys! Picked up a tie today then had a haircut and hot wet shave or whatever its called down the barbers. Way too much effort for me. :)

Shaunyboy

Youngling
PIGCITY said:
Long t-shirt , no pants...

I think PIGCITY has the answer for you right there in the signature pic...:) Some people might say a Princess Leia slave costume is insane to wear for an interview..........and they's be right!

x-pack

Grand Master
Shaunyboy said:
PIGCITY said:
Long t-shirt , no pants...

I think PIGCITY has the answer for you right there in the signature pic...:) Some people might say a Princess Leia slave costume is insane to wear for an interview..........and they's be right!

Depends entirely on what job you're going for .... :?

Fishtalk

Jedi Knight
It's all about confidence, eye contact and showing an interest in what the company does. If you can do all that you can turn up in a T-shirt saying "**** you" and get the job. :wink:

Jez

Sith Lord
Wear the black suit dude.
Just go the whole hog; Shoes clean, clothes clean, no one will ever refuse someone a job because they were too smart.
My never fail tip...
At the end of the interview, when the interviewer says "is there anything else you'd like to add?"
You look them deep in the eyes and say
"I really really want this job, is there anything else I can say to convince you?" I've used it twice, and it worked both times.
Best of luck dude

escapist

Jedi Knight
Well I had it today. The suit looked good. My purple tie glowed in its purpleness. I made them laugh. I answered the questions and gave them more.

Overall, I came out feeling really positive and thinking it went really well.

Unfortunately, they didn't and got an e-mail three hours later saying 'No'.

Absolutely gutted as it was a job I actually really wanted. But it wasn't meant to be. And I'm secure in my current job. But after five years, I've got as far as I can go and any promotion is a long way off or impossible. :(e

Jez, your advice came 11 minutes too late as I was in the interview at that time! I wonder if things would have gone any differently....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom