Hello - New to forum

StephenC

Youngling
Hello,

I'm Stephen, I'm based in Newcastle Upon Tyne and I joined this forum late last year but haven't until now had the chance to post anything. To get to the point, I'm not a collector but have a fairly substantial childhood collection of Star Wars toys which had been in storage at my parent's home. I was a big Star Wars fan as a kid and looked after my toys, for example carefully keeping all of the original weapons for the figures etc. All of the vehicles and play-sets are boxed. In the next few months I intend to sell the entire collection and have started by posting my 1977 Death Star on Ebay, listed as "Rare Star Wars Death Star Palitoy Play Set Original 1977". My girlfriend actually listed it because she's very accustomed to selling on there. The next item I'll list is probably the Millennium Falcon, complete and boxed - again, in really good condition with all of the plastic parts intact including the chess table and the Jedi training ball on the thread. I sometimes wonder whether I'm doing the right thing in selling this stuff as it's great but "needs must" as they say and I need the space.

I know the members of this forum are dedicated and knowledgeable collectors so thought it would be a good idea to join this forum to give those who are really appreciative of these toys a chance to get hold of some items in good condition. I hope in approaching the forum in this way I haven't breached its etiquette and apologies if I've posted in the wrong thread or whatever. Please feel free to move my post to the appropriate place. If anyone replies or contacts me via a private message please be patient for a reply, as I was saying I'm new to this whole on-line forum business but appreciate any interest or enquiries and will try to answer fully and promptly.

Cheers,
Stephen

Joe

Grand Master
Hi Stephen, it looks like you intend to list your items on eBay so I've moved your thread to the ebay listings section, if that's not the case then please let me know.

If you are going the ebay route then make sure to paste a link to your listings here (or the item numbers) so people can find them.

StephenC

Youngling
Many thanks for your assistance Joe and Lejackal! Noted - I'll include the Ebay links where necessary.

Cheers,
Stephen

plantainman

Jedi Master
StephenC said:
I sometimes wonder whether I'm doing the right thing in selling this stuff as it's great but "needs must" as they say and I need the space.

I guess the advantage to selling to forum members is you know who you have sold your childhood pieces to if you ever want to buy them back further down the line.
Once you sell on ebay, you'll never know where your items have gone.

Good luck with the sales.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Nice to see another fellow Geordie join this forum…Love your Death Star looks in great nick!
Your parents must have got the only one in Newcastle at the time (I was hoping to see a Fenwicks sticker on it!) I wish I was your mate back in the day since it would have saved me hours of time making countless structurally unsound brown cardboard versions.
Having said all that you say 'based' so perhaps you lived thousands of miles away from me as a kid and speak with a posh accent!

StephenC

Youngling
Good point Plantainman, thanks. Collectors are welcome to send offers to anything I mention here in a private message if they want and if the price is right I'd be happy to remove it from Ebay. Yet generally speaking I'd prefer to use Ebay and Paypal.

@ Brian/Kingshearer - Yeah I'm a Geordie but from County Durham originally. The Death Star was indeed bought from Fenwicks but sadly no sticker with the shop's logo survives! You made me laugh when you mentioned your Blue Peter-like obsession with trying to build your own Death Star from cardboard. I still used to do stuff like that too. One of the vehicles I always wanted as a kid but never owned was Slave-1 so I'd attempt to cobble one together out of Lego - now I see there's one in mint condition for sale on this forum! NO I must resist.

Cheers,
Stephen

StephenC

Youngling
Just to let the people know who've contacted me through a personal message that my facility to reply via pm is still disabled. I'm waiting for a fix from the administrators and will reply as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Stephen

Palifan

Sith Lord
Hi Stephen and welcome to the forum. :D

looking at your Death Star I must say that I think you've priced it to high for a starting bid. Everyone's entitled to ask what they want for something and I'm really not trying to upset you here but I thought I'd point it out as a friendly piece of advise due to you not using ebay much by the sounds of it.

Here's a list of ones that have sold recently to give you a better idea as to value and also notice that these have many bids on them as the reserve was set low to get the bidding going -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=palitoy+death+star&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpalitoy+death+star+complete.TRS0&_nkw=palitoy+death+star+complete&_sacat=0

Please don't take offense as none is intended but I thought I should point this out. If you do see the auction through to the end unchanged then I wish you all the very best and you may get lucky as you never know what people are willing to pay.

Ian

StephenC

Youngling
Hi Ian/ Palifan,

No offence taken at all regarding your opinion and appreciate you're wishing to offer advice. I based the price on several that have been evaluated at a much higher price on e-bay and after reading a couple of very recent articles in the press. The set I have for sale is boxed and in very good condition, as are all of the vehicles I own, yet of course admit I'm no expert in the merchandise collecting field as these items simply belong to a childhood collection. I have already received advance offers meeting the asking price on e-bay but decided to wait the auction out. While I'm sure registered users of e-bay are likely to be trustworthy I'm also aware private offers of this kind are to be treated with caution, as people change their minds for one thing.

Cheers,
Stephen

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Hello Stephen,

Hope you get a pretty penny for it. It does look a beauty so I'm not surprised that you've had good interest.
I would have been interested myself if I didn't already have one (although it's not from Fenwicks!)

Cheers
Brian

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I see you sold your Death Star. Pleased you got a bit of money for it. Funny reading about Fenwicks in your thread, I'm originally from Newcastle, most of my collection is from Fenwicks or TG Allens in Whitley Bay. Keep us posted if you list anything else. Don't want these southerners getting their hands on the Vintage County Durham Star Wars stuff!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom