Does the value of your collection frighten you?

SOJ

Sith Lord
Until 2013 I'd only been buying loose.As well as complete loose run with many variants I now have 80 plus MOC's and a **** load of box vehicles and playsets. Seeing what certain loose figure are now going for (I'm looking at you Nikto and AT-ST driver) and an estimated £90-£120 for the just the saber for a pop up R2,if anything were to happen to my collection I don't think I could face starting again even with an insurance payout.

With a basic loose run costing an estimated £3k, is it time to stop posting photos of my collection online, even on here? It's great to share it with others but there are so many questionable people involved now, thoughts of being targeted for burgarly do cross my mind. I moving soon so maybe there is an opportunity to keep my new address to myself and use a go between when acquiring new items.

Am I just being paranoid or do others have the same concerns?

Are there any reports of collections being stolen recently?

wrighty

Sith Lord
I am too scared to do the sums!

I always post to my work place.

With regards to sharing your collection online it's debatable who is viewing it etc.

Remember the Deborah saga?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well it happened to me nine years ago so it is a genuine concern, and that's why I don't limelight my expensive stuff any more. The best advice I can give is keep receipts for everything, make sure you have adequate insurance, and avoid making it easy for thieves (e.g. Posting photos of your collection in easily identifiable areas of your house.) As above sending things to your work address to protect your home address is also very wise.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, absolutely it scared me.

A few years ago, prob 5 or 6 now, I sat down and worked out roughly what my collection was worth and (almost) literally shat my pants. That was part of the reason I started to sell off parts of it. Far far too much money to be tied up in SW. That was before prices went bonkers as well, if only i'd held on For a year or two more lol. Ahh well. I didn't buy iy to make money on it

stormcab

Sith Lord
At the very least take hi-res photos of your pricier items. High graded MOCs with very few issues will be difficult. If a figure behind a bubble has a tiny scratch on it's paint, that could help identify it if stolen when comes up for sale. Get a safe :D

stormcab

Sith Lord
wrighty said:
I am too scared to do the sums!

I always post to my work place.

With regards to sharing your collection online it's debatable who is viewing it etc.

Remember the Deborah saga?

I didn't, but just had a search and read up. Yikes.

Palitoyman

Padawan
In a word, 'YES', we all have our own goals and targets and what I found is that when I complete a run I simply start on another one, all the things I buy are delivered to my Mum's address as I have recently set up a display room/office, which is locked all the time I'm away from it, I have been very careful who can see it, only very close friends who I can fully trust.

I did think when setting the room up that I was being a bit too security conscious as the room has a burglar alarm sensor as well but it is massive business now and like many other collectors, I know that the pieces I need to complete my current run will be very expensive as they seldom come up but am hopeful.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Personally I dread to think. Thats why have everything sent to another address and don't have FB or any social networking at all. People who show there whole collection on youtube and give out there address to subscribers must be mad.

SOJ

Sith Lord
Glad it's not just me. Having boxed everything up just made me realised how much I have and then doing some quick mental math and what it's probably worth gave me food for thought.

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah I've definitely been more cautious about my collection.

There was a guy I sold something to on a Dutch auction site who was a bit too keen on picking the item up himself for my taste. I told him I would meet him in a pub close by and suddenly he wasn't so keen anymore. In the end he asked me to send it via mail.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
YES is the one word answer :!:
As said be v vigilant on what info u r giving out. Rem this is a public forum :!: Also b v careful about giving unwitting location info when taking pictures with smart phones etc :!:

sith-smith

Grand Master
Basically, yes!

Though what scares me more is what people think things are worth because everything star wars is apparently a gold mine, if you believe some of the valuations people throw around or people want for the their items on places like eBay :roll:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I do not think much about the value of my collection, I only collect for the fun.

The only thing I think about is that some of the fun is not there anymore when some
of the items get to expensive so we do not have the money to buy it :(

stormcab

Sith Lord
sith-smith said:
Basically, yes!

Though what scares me more is what people think things are worth because everything star wars is apparently a gold mine, if you believe some of the valuations people throw around or people want for the their items on places like eBay :roll:

Yeah these values are so over-hyped, I mean, what do they think, a Fett on a French card would be something daft like £25k hahaha........... oh :D

AL_Bundy

Padawan
I only have loose figures and vehicle's for my ANH,ESB & ROTJ dioramas, which I am more than happy with.

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
I have an inventory of my entire collection with values and such, which I use for insurance purposes. regardless of why you collect - nostalgia, investment, some of both - this stuff has value and you are foolish to ignore that IMO. For that reason, I have all my stuff inventoried as I said, and also insured. I exclusively use a post office box (not sure if you guys have that in the UK) and never give out my home address unless it is to a good friend. As a result of these protections, I don't feel nervous at all about sharing photos online. It's way more fun to share with others and see their stuff too!

x-pack

Grand Master
I would love some **** to break in while I was in. I've met a lot of burglars and they are all skinny little smack heads.

To quote Blackadder - "underneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac"

:twisted:

lejackal

Grand Master
x-pack said:
I would love some **** to break in while I was in. I've met a lot of burglars and they are all skinny little smack heads.

To quote Blackadder - "underneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac"

:twisted:
Brilliant, love it
If they broke into mine they'd be **** scared of the dog but I'd like to think he'd be the least of their worries :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom