Does the modern retro tat cheapen our Original figures?

poncho

Grand Master
Ive touched on this before but Do these cheapen our original vintage beloved toys?

It does dishearten me somewhat.

I knows it's a cash cow for 40 year old children.

I've seen these retro figures in shops and they make my stomach churn

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20221021-192020_Samsung Internet.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I'm not against the concept, but damn did they screw it up with the artificial edgewear. If you ever want an example of a company ploughing ahead with an idea without doing ANY market research, this is it. If they had asked even one single collector if it was a good idea, they would have said no.

Hod10

Padawan
I'm not into grading but I guess releasing these just gives more reason for authentication of loose true vintage.

Hod10

Padawan
Accessories, an experienced collector could tell them apart in hand yep. But for the more casual collector buying online I'm not so sure.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
No sorry @Hod10 I think apart from pretty much everything about the retro collection the retro collection round logo slapped on the front or the Disney logo on the back gives it away slightly. And there is probably 101 more obvious differences.

Hod10

Padawan
Accessories and loose collecting. They have released lightsabers, capes, snakes, canes, helmets etc etc. It's giving more work for graders to consider. So if anything at the moment I think it has increased the value of true vintage a bit.

lejackal

Grand Master
Accessories and loose collecting. They have released lightsabers, capes, snakes, canes, helmets etc etc. It's giving more work for graders to consider. So if anything at the moment I think it has increased the value of true vintage a bit.
Graders couldn't get it right before these, these won't make it any better or worse. And whilst we're on the subject……

Grading is bollocks. Grading is a way to extract more money from buyers for the same item. Grading lines the pockets of the graders and the scalpers. Buy, grade, flip, repeat. And if you're a regular customer you'll get better grades. Allegedly. It's not consistent and it sure as **** isn't accurate. Ever read the small print? It says, and this is consistent across all of the leeches, that of after the fact new evidence is found to prove the item is fake then tough tits, they accept no liability for, drum roll please, their **** up. Their "authentication", and anything it's printed on is meaningless and worthless. Educate yourself, don't rely on those wankers.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
No not really, I don't think so. If you ignore them and don't own any what difference does it make. I don't like them, not my bag, I think they're shite but each to their own. No different to any other modern really except these are "reissues" or replicas of Vintage. I dabbled in modern over the years but have sold or have for sale all my modern including all my Saga which I really liked. People have a hankering for retro and vintage stuff, always will. Clothing is a good example, I wear Vans and Nike that are exact replicas of trainers I wore 30 years ago. There is obviously a market for people who want the Vintage looking figures on a low budget. Unlike the trainers they look nothing like Vintage really and I don't think real Vintage blokes like us have much interest.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom