Buried/ lost in the back garden

Crumm

Padawan
This got me thinking from another topic I posted in.

Anyone ever do this as a kid? I distinctly remember burying a Joker Van from a Batman car set in the back garden one day, with the intention of digging it up later. Unfortunately I never found it. It's probably still there.

Got me wondering about how many buried/ lost toys (particularly vintage Star Wars figures) are in the back gardens of Britain's houses still?

Anyone else fall foul of this dumb idea? and couldn't find the item they had buried?

Or was it just me?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
My ma did find a burried Klaatu in one of her flower beds about 10 years ago. It had probably been there for 20 years.

subzero

Sith Lord
Once I was playing in the back garden when I was about 7 digging up holes in the patchy grass with a spoon trying to make a big hole, as you do. :lol:

I still remember it very clearly to this day suddenly hitting something about 2 inches down and saw a small area of a grey plastic thing, remember getting really excited thinking i'd found something secret or the top of a treasure box or something, spent the next minute digging and scraping the dirt away to eventually pull out the door from my older brother's AT-AT :lol: I was disappointed to say the least!

Basically if I hadn't have been randomly digging in that specific spot it could very well still be there right now. I reckon there are tons of things buried out there, imagine how many blasters must still be buried in people's gardens. :shock:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
According to my mum I used to bury my Knight Rider car in the garden copying the episode where he got dumped in an acid pit

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
We had out houses at the back of our house, a neighbour of ours used to love throwing his toys up there for some reason. I've often thought I bet there's still loads of stuff up there. Funny what kids do innit. Bet theres loads of stuff thats been buried, burned, frozen. We used to make a parachute for action man and throw him out the bedroom window. It was too low for the parachute to open so often he'd end up bent out of shape on the floor. I bet that's where they got the idea for base jumping.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I buried my brothers hamster (dead of course) ...does that count?
:lol:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Darth Bobby said:
We used to make a parachute for action man and throw him out the bedroom window. It was too low for the parachute to open so often he'd end up bent out of shape on the floor. I bet that's where they got the idea for base jumping.
i remember doing the same, our action man was in the Red Devils outfit but this made no difference as like you we could never get high enough for the parachute to work as it should!

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Mini99 said:
Darth Bobby said:
We used to make a parachute for action man and throw him out the bedroom window. It was too low for the parachute to open so often he'd end up bent out of shape on the floor. I bet that's where they got the idea for base jumping.
i remember doing the same, our action man was in the Red Devils outfit but this made no difference as like you we could never get high enough for the parachute to work as it should!

He was made of stern stuff action man, pretty resilient toy from memory. I think we used to make ramps and jump over him on the bike. Nerves of steel :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
Not a burial story but still funny, when I was 4 or 5 I went through a short naughty phase of dropping my older bro's toys out of our bedroom window on the 6th floor of our highrise. :lol: I still visually remember picking up his dartboard and stepping up onto a box and thinking to myself "this is gonna be cool", hung it out the window and let it rip, it could have killed somebody. :?

In recent years talking about this my brother said he remembers coming back from the shop to seeing all the kids from the other highrise opposite our one, all standing around outside our flat looking up and grabbing toys out of the bushes, so he asked them what they were looking at and they said 'some kid' is throwing toys out the window, so he looked up in horror at me dropping all his **** out the window. :wink: :lol:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Darth Bobby said:
Mini99 said:
Darth Bobby said:

He was made of stern stuff action man, pretty resilient toy from memory. I think we used to make ramps and jump over him on the bike. Nerves of steel :lol:
Yep, did that too.
Great toy that could take a lot of punishment.

Crumm

Padawan
subzero said:
Not a burial story but still funny, when I was 4 or 5 I went through a short naughty phase of dropping my older bro's toys out of our bedroom window on the 6th floor of our highrise. :lol: I still visually remember picking up his dartboard and stepping up onto a box and thinking to myself "this is gonna be cool", hung it out the window and let it rip, it could have killed somebody. :?

In recent years talking about this my brother said he remembers coming back from the shop to seeing all the kids from the other highrise opposite our one, all standing around outside our flat looking up and grabbing toys out of the bushes, so he asked them what they were looking at and they said 'some kid' is throwing toys out the window, so he looked up in horror at me dropping all his **** out the window. :wink: :lol:

Brilliant!

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Crumm said:
subzero said:

Brilliant!

Ha ha, that beats messing about with an i-pad. Happy days.

MarkG

Jedi Master
Can remember at my old primary school the removal of an outside water tap leaving a hole.

A certain small figure... a Jawa ended up going in this hole and falling down in the cavity...

If they ever knock the school down I'll be the first up there to see if the little fella can be rescued.

I'd like to point out that it wasn't a VCJ.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
According to my mum I used to bury my Knight Rider car in the garden copying the episode where he got dumped in an acid pit

No way, I did this on Porthmear beach in St Ives with my Knight Rider car. I lost it their and then, never to be seen again. Remember digging all day for it and was gutted when it was time to go home.

Palifan

Sith Lord
My dad is still digging things up in the garden and has found SW figures and weapons over the years. I do remember also putting my Mego Dr Who out there and then shooting at it with my Dads air rifle, oh the fun I used to have!

Ian

spoons

Grand Master
Never deliberately buried anything but, similar to Weasel my folks did find a rebel trooper and sand person in the flowerbeds 20 odd years after they were lost

I had a cap gun SLR rifle I hid in a fir tree in our front garden for some bizarre reason, and was gutted to find it gone in the morning

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I used to play a game where I'd put a garden fork in the ground, stamp the earth down and then push the fork over so the ground cracked like in an earthquake. I had hours of fun with my matchbox cars playing like this and whilst the aim was to also get them back out, I'm sure some are still in my parents garden.

I remember burying a chewie in st Ives beach for some reason and then not being able to find it. Years later my best mate (scooternick here) reckons he found a chewie whilst playing on the same beach!

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
I know there's a chewed up Luke X-Wing that my dog got hold of back in 1984 buried in my back garden somewhere. I might be digging up the garden this summer so will have a look. There might be a headless Biker Scout in there somewhere too.

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Clarkspie&chips said:
I used to play a game where I'd put a garden fork in the ground, stamp the earth down and then push the fork over so the ground cracked like in an earthquake.

I remember doing that to my R5-D4!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom