When Does A Toy Become Vintage?

indianawars

Sith Lord
So at what point do you think a toy stops being modern and become vintage?
For me, the rule of thumb is 25 years...
I personally don't remember when I started calling the original Star Wars toys "vintage".
Does anyone remember when they started to refer to the original toys as vintage?

yoda

Sith Lord
That's a good question I think for me it's the toys I grew up with and played with. After that I just look upon anything else as modern.
It's funny because my younger brothers grew up with the 90s figures. If I ask them I wonder what they would say.
I think i agree with what your thinking.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Good question. I first came across the term vintage when I first ever looked on ebay for Star Wars figures which was when I started collecting in 2007ish. I don't think I'd ever even heard the term before that. I consider anything pre 1990 to be vintage/retro prob mainly because that's about the time my childhood ended. I'm only really interested in and look at 70's and 80's toys because they give you that nostalgia and you say - no way! I remember those. I think it's a personal thing and depends how old you are. Not sure if there is an offiial date related terminology like comics, bronze age, silver age etc.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
For me pre 1985 is vintage. Beyond that is modern. If I lived to be 100 I don't think POTF2 would be vintage to me. I think it's as much to do with the collector as the collection. Depends on your age I think?

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Defiantly down to age, wonder if a 70 year old would consider vintage star wars , modern in their eyes :)

lejackal

Grand Master
To non collectors vintage is probable seen as anything from their childhood but to collectors actual age isn't as relevant, Bendems and POTF2 for example are unlikely to be considered as vintage to most collectors of 77-86 merchandise

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Vintage to me , is toys from my childhood , that's the 70's early 80's . Anything later won't feel vintage to me !!!! Ever :roll: :? :cry:

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
steve obi wan said:
Vintage to me , is toys from my childhood , that's the 70's early 80's . Anything later won't feel vintage to me !!!! Ever :roll: :? :cry:

I get the dating of the term as an actual window of time, but as Steve says, to me its the toys of mine and my brothers childhood. Anything 70's/80's gets my vote :D

unabrow

So at what point do you think a toy stops being modern and become vintage?
For me, the rule of thumb is 25 years...
I personally don't remember when I started calling the original Star Wars toys "vintage".
Does anyone remember when they started to refer to the original toys as vintage?
It was when the new line of toys came out for "The Phantom Menace" in 1999. "Old" was not a special or dignified enough term for something that we loved- oh so much- but the newer lines were shiny and now we had our own money to by them with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom