What's your most over hyped?

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
Hi, given the price rises over the last few years I'd be interested to hear from people on what they think has been the most over hyped items and why?

For me the tr-logo r2 is up there. It's a common moc that was going for £150-250 a year or two ago and now people try to claim it's a £500 item. It's annoying as I'd quite like one but would never pay that money for one. Even loose now it's often over £100

The loose VCJ price also seems to have taken a life of its own people now trying to charge £2k ! A couple of years ago £500 seemed steep.

Any thoughts?

itfciain

Grand Master
R2 Pop up (carded and loose)
Yak Face (especially on a TL Card)
VC Jawa
Luke DT

and probably most of the last 17 - none of the above are 'rare' - it is just that people 'need' them for their collections

Woolyniner

Jedi Knight
Last 17.

I refuse to pay for them at such over inflated prices. I stopped collecting as a kid at the 77 mark, and that will do me fine. I get MOC's being pricey, but not loose figures.

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
As a MIB collector lots of the shittier stuff. I've seen people trying to sell the Ewok glider for £30+. Cloud car for £90+ If you pay that for either of those you're going to be very disappointed indeed!

Figure wise Imp Dig. He sat at around £20 - £22 for several years. Now they're selling for £50 - £60 with chipped nose. He's literally the shitest figure and he's not even rare, there are ten on ebay at any one time. And to make it more annoying, he's one figure I need to finish off my loose run

MarkG

Jedi Master
Pop up R2 has to take top slot for the biggest increase over the last year or so. A loose one sold on eBay a few weeks back for £285!!

Yak Face has evened out loose wise but TL MOC has gone crazy... good examples hitting over £1k nowadays.. one has just gone up on one of the FB valuation pages too.. so will see what that gets priced at.

Never really followed the VCJ and DT figures but have noticed a sharp rise on those. Even Blue Snaggletooth his getting his share of the pie.

The majority of the L17 have gone up... with Anakin still the cheapest of the bunch.

Richard_H

Grand Master
Trilogo Boba Fett. Another 3 FS or FT on facebook now. There's loads out there, just people either don't want to sell them or ask for stupid money.

walkie

Sith Lord
Metallic bespin blasters, I remember when they were 50 quid a pop only a couple of years ago. I was even offered another shortly after getting mine for 85-90 and thought stuff that. Now these things seem to fetch 250-300!!

Red bar R5's. When I see these listed FS at $400 I can't stop pissing myself, WTF is going on!!!

ODB

Jedi Master
VC Jawas seem to be leaving the Zimbabwe dollar behind in terms of inflation, I can remember them being offered at £200. Trilogo Yak Face MOCs aren't far behind either.

The real madness for me is the trade in loose weapons, even common stuff is going for nearly the same as a complete figure. The madness of buying a loose figure without accessories and then adding overpriced weapons and accessories seems totally crazy to me. Just buy the complete one in the first place. Plus it makes me wonder how many collections are being brought and then broken up by dealers cashing in on the price gorge.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Can't argue with any of the above, as you know my focus field is a little different to most collectors but have seen just the same going on in my avenue of collecting, multi packs have gone up 3 fold for the most part especially any with fett in them, the one that has really shocked me most is popy's though, they have hop skipped & jumped excessively from one end of the spectrum to the other, I see them listed for thousands now rather than hundreds which to me is totally insane, fett in particular as always, I bought the easiest of the lot (han Hoth) mint complete from one of the good guys here a few years back for 85 quid, it was a fair price admittedly & I would have paid 25 quid more happily, that same one is now going for 4 to 5 times that now :shock:

The red bar R5 - WTF??

Pop up R2 - WTF??

& as for the luke stormie guns going for over a tonne & the metallic PBP bespin blasters @ 300 to 350 - not to this collector they aren't :lol:

Madness sheer madness, with more films on the way can it really get any crazier than it already is???

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Another for the Artoo pop-up.

The green bit of plastic is the only bit of repro in my house, left over from my early collecting days.

I'm seriously considering going thru my 50 or so Imperial Blasters to see if I have black/black ones and selling them for silly money THEN using the cash to buy the pop-up sabre, again for silly money.

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Defo all of the above

I was checking some of my old sales .

2014 VCJ , I sold one for £175
2015 VCJ , AFA graded , I sold for £400
2014 Luke Skywalker AFA 70 , sold for£275
2015 R2 with light sabre AFA 70 , sold for £168

I bought an original pop sabre in 2013 for £5

I wish I had them all now !!!! :cry:

yoda

Sith Lord
steve obi wan said:
Defo all of the above

I was checking some of my old sales .

2014 VCJ , I sold one for £175
2015 VCJ , AFA graded , I sold for £400
2014 Luke Skywalker AFA 70 , sold for£275
2015 R2 with light sabre AFA 70 , sold for £168

I bought an original pop sabre in 2013 for £5

I wish I had them all now !!!! :cry:

I am shocked how much the prices have jumped when I read this!

x-pack

Grand Master
Pop up R2 and VCJ for sure. I don't even feel good about owning a nice R2 that's now shot up in price. It's almost obscene.

Has anyone had that conversation, the one where you talk to a non-collector and they ask what it's worth? I'm not a fan of that one :roll:

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
x-pack said:
Pop up R2 and VCJ for sure. I don't even feel good about owning a nice R2 that's now shot up in price. It's almost obscene.

I know exactly how you feel Barry, I look at some of the figures I have and knowing that I paid next to nothing for them it makes me feel very uncomfortable knowing I could pay for xmas by selling just one or two of them.

poncho

Grand Master
vc1 black stormtrooper blaster....£100+

i just give my luke stormie any stormtrooper blaster. i dont give a ****. over hyped little piece of black plastic i tell you.

and you get people buying cheap droids mocs and removing the black blaster....madness and sacrilage.

spoons

Grand Master
Totally agree with most of these but some of the rarer stuff astounds me too

Engineering pilots and photo samples go for crazy prices, interesting but not worth the money they command IMO

I'd also add Revenge proofs to the list - some graded ESB and ROTJ sold on eBay today for not much more than Revenge proofs were recently going for.

All down to more collectors being after the same things so I'm not judging anyone just being shocked :)

ODB

Jedi Master
poncho said:
and you get people buying cheap droids mocs and removing the black blaster....madness and sacrilage.

Thats reminds me the black SA-80 rifle from Action Force which is no being pressed into service for any YPS Snowtrooper. There must be more Snowtroopers with SA-80s now than there were back in the day. People are opening the Action Force weapon packs to get them and selling them for up to and beyond £80 its madness.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
ODB said:
poncho said:
Thats reminds me the black SA-80 rifle from Action Force which is no being pressed into service for any YPS Snowtrooper. There must be more Snowtroopers with SA-80s now than there were back in the day. People are opening the Action Force weapon packs to get them and selling them for up to and beyond £80 its madness.

I think one sold recently for nearly £200! :shock:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom