Tri-Logo Yak Face MOC

phantom

Jedi Master
Hi

By chance I came across this Tri-Logo Yak Face..
Ive never collected Tri-Logos so my knowledge is limited, hopefully some of you with more experience can help me out with identifying this piece and give it a fair market price.

Sadly it arrived to me in a bubble wrap envelope..

As mentioned I am new to Tri-Logos, but read as much as I had time for online.. The front of the card is alot glossier than the standard Kenner ones Im used to (from what I understand that is normal?) and the back is non glossy as other mocs Ive had. The figures on the back have their "usual" out of focus look, the text is sharp and fine. Condition wise I guess the pictures show most of it.
The bubble is crushed with a 10mm crack in the top right hand corner and one 10mm one in the lower left corner.

The bubble has lifted 2 mm from the card on the top of the bubble in an area of maybe 20-30mm

It is unpunched, does have some slight creases (not waaay bad actually) and some wear to the corners of the card.

Ive noticed that the part of the bubble that lies on the cardback have rounded edges as compared to the many square cornered ones. As it is highly probable that this piece was sold new in my native Norway it is not known to me where in europe this card originates from but as far as Ive read this bubble is most common on Meccano and PBP ?

All input regarding identification and of course a fair market value are highly appreciated :)

Pictures below

-Erik-

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

itfciain

Grand Master
Nice catch Erik - what a shame it arrived in a padded envelope.

It all looks good to me - the crushing and lifting will devalue the card a bit but I reckon you would get between £250-£300 on a good day. A better version sold recently for £350 on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-STAR-WARS-1983-TRI-LOGO-MOC-ORIGINAL-SEALED-YAK-FACE-LAST-OF-THE-17-/370655675597?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item564cccc4cd

This one is on there currently and has bids up to £210 at the moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Vintage-1983-Tri-Logo-YAK-FACE-Great-Condition-MOC-RARE-/221139823022?pt=UK_Collectables_SciFi_fantasyCollectables_EH&hash=item337cf5e9ae

phantom

Jedi Master
Thanks Iain!

Yeah, its a shame with the shipping...

This seems to be the rarer Meccano version, as its not the Palitoy one.

I really appreciate the valuation, and I hope it will end up in a good home.. Worst fear I have is that in the end it will end up in the dreaded U-grade hell.. Then Id rather keep it myself. One of the reasons I prefer to do deals on the forum instead of ebay

Joe

Grand Master
itfciain said:
It all looks good to me - the crushing and lifting will devalue the card a bit but I reckon you would get between £250-£300 on a good day. A better version sold recently for £350 on Ebay

Did you notice Erik said it was cracked Iain?

The bubble is crushed with a 10mm crack in the top right hand corner and one 10mm one in the lower left corner.

The bubble has lifted 2 mm from the card on the top of the bubble in an area of maybe 20-30mm

itfciain

Grand Master
Joe will be able to help you on the variation - I'm useless with Trilogo ones !

Yes, I wasn't going to mention U-Grades - but if you look there are two at buy it nows of £495 and £475 - I can't imagine they will sell for that but isn't it daft that they are asking for more than a carded version sold for !

itfciain

Grand Master
Joe said:
Did you notice Erik said it was cracked Iain?

Yeah, but I still think to the right person (probably in the States) this would get close to the £300 mark - do you think that is too high Joe

phantom

Jedi Master
As regards to the cracks and the lift.. Here are the best photos I could do with my kit lens atm.

DSC_0237.jpg

Crack goes only vertical. This shows the extent of the card lifting

DSC_0235.jpg

Same goes for the crack here, vertical

Joe

Grand Master
I've seen some really high prices on Tri yaks recently but I think in all honesty a fully sealed (no cracks) carded Tri Yak is and always should be in the £250-350 range depending on condition, paying more for such a common carded figure is IMO a little silly.

As this one has a cracked bubble, personally I wouldn't put a premium on it but after looking at completed listings of loose Yaks it does seem like the prices are all over the place right now.

I would say to the right person, maybe 200 Euros because it is indeed the Meccano variant. I honestly don't think with the damage it is really worth more but the current market (and those crazy buyers) would probably prove me wrong.

TwistedMetal

Sith Lord
Andy sold a U-grade yak and I think it was around the £495.00 mark I could be wrong, but I'm sure it was of that value in his shop.

Oh and hope your well Erik :)

PGowdy

Grand Master
I really don't see you getting £300-350 for this with a cracked bubble. I think that's what you'd get for a decent one with an undamaged bubble. Personally i think you'd struggle to get £200. In fact i wasn't going to give you a figure even that high. Just my 2p.

itfciain

Grand Master
You might be right Pete - this one sold recently for £118 - although the lifting is worse

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Starwars-yak-face-last-17-1985-please-read-/271072358037?pt=UK_Collectables_SciFi_fantasyCollectables_EH&hash=item3f1d2bee95

Only think I will say is that this wasn't available to buyers in the States - I reckon 90% of the Yake Face's that I sell go over that way

PGowdy

Grand Master
Yeah, i was gonna say about 150 tops. It's a very nice "untouched" Yak so you could value the figure at £85-90 on it's own. Easy. Then a really nice cardback £15-20. But as it's still kind of together and could be kept that way for a decent display piece you can bump that amount up a bit.
Put it this way the first amount i would be comfortable saying "no way would it sell at" would be £180.

itfciain

Grand Master
PGowdy said:
Put it this way the first amount i would be comfortable saying "no way would it sell at" would be £180.

ha ha - if it were mine, I'd have a bet with you there - I reckon this will clear £200 in the right auction :lol:

phantom

Jedi Master
Im not really a Tri-Logo collector but would like this to be appreciated by someone who wants a Yak or need it for their Tri-Logo collection

I would probably accept a decent offer/trade should I know that the buyer wouldn wreck it by U-grading it.. Ebay is not prefered as basically someone could just U-wreck it and resell it and one more is lost..

PGowdy

Grand Master
itfciain said:
PGowdy said:

ha ha - if it were mine, I'd have a bet with you there - I reckon this will clear £200 in the right auction :lol:

Ooh, put it up on ebay phantom!! Let's play! :lol:

itfciain

Grand Master
PGowdy said:
itfciain said:
PGowdy said:

[youtube]UklHiym5yvk[/youtube]

phantom

Jedi Master
PGowdy said:
itfciain said:
PGowdy said:

Maybe Ill post it on RS, SWFUK and TIG for 200 and see how it goes.. If I should go the Ebay route its very complicated for one living in Norway.. Option then would be to ship to some forum in from the UK to do the ebay for me in return for a fee..

Then again, abit worried about people U-grading it.

Like said, would welcome serious offers or trades, but that should probably be put in a separate sales thread. :)

Appreciate all the kind words and opinions :)

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
PGowdy said:
I really don't see you getting £300-350 for this with a cracked bubble. I think that's what you'd get for a decent one with an undamaged bubble. Personally i think you'd struggle to get £200. In fact i wasn't going to give you a figure even that high. Just my 2p.

Im with Pete on this one. The crack is one thing but the lift as well will slash the price. I think £175 is about right. It may struggle to get that I feel. Who knows?

What was tthe seller thinking sending it in a jiffy bag. This is why I always specify on ebay for a box. I think some people would just stick a stamp on it and write the address on the bubble if they could. :|

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom