Top of the league at Christmas!!!!!

chiffy

Sith Lord
Last night my team the mighty mariners beat Wrexham 1-0 to go top of the Blue Square Premier. Today Newport had the chance to leapfrog us but their game has now been called off due to the weather so we have the festive hotspot! Congratulations to all at Grimsby Town FC. We're doing everthing we can to get out of this hell hole of a division including having the best defence in the league, best goal difference and 5 clean sheets on the trot in all competitions. Our next game is the local derby away at Lincoln and we sold out allocation of 1700 tickets in 2 days which is not bad for a tinpot non league club.
Sorry to bore on but after so many years of **** i am actually pretty optimistic that we shall be back where we belong in the football league next season.

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE, SAY WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!! :D :D :D

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Hey mate Congrats :)

For me you have been by far the best time in the BSP so far this season although Buxton took you all the way in the FA Throphy :mrgreen:

The best of luck for the rest of season!

Just cant believe how tight it is now :shock: 23 points between 24 clubs! Beginning to worry for Alfreton tho. (My Local club) We arent beating teams around us and drawing too many :?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
One of my mates at Uni was a big Cambridge Utd fan and i went along to a few of their games with him. Think they were League .1 ( or its equivalent) in those days. Keep an eye out for their results even now.

chiffy

Sith Lord
Thanks Liam. Yeah Buxton was a bit of a weird 1. They were actually harder to play against as oppose to our usual league opponents and should really have taken 1 chance at our place to go thru but thats football i suppose.

Weasel, i went to the Abbey a few times when we were both up there. Was it when John Beck was the gaffer? He was a right cheating twat! Always used to make sure the oppo had salt in the halftime tea, rock hard balls to warm up with and a long ball merchant which, to fair, was very succesful but was shite to watch. I always remember the deadly duo of Dion Dublin and John Taylor always scoring against us :evil:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I think it was just after his time, when their decline was just starting. I was at Uni in Bath so I watched them playing the two Bristol sides.
I'm not 100% but i think Beck had two stints at the club, so it could well have been between them. I did hear the stories about him though. The old growing the grass long in the corners to slow down opposition wingers etc.
TBF even the Cambridge fan i knew admitted they were a long ball side and awful to watch under him. Although i suspect they'd gladly swap that for where they are now, no disrespect to the conference!

chiffy

Sith Lord
Yes their keeper had a bit of a mare actually which was nice. Attendance, not bad for a non league game, was 5700! Officially we had an allocation of 1750 but there were more of us in the home end judging by all the photos, videos posted on fourums.
So, we goto Mansfield on Saturday. Away end capacity 1400 and it's pay on the gate! Sorry but this is gonna be absolute bedlam when we take more than that! Watch this space lol......

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom