Top of the group!?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I know Gary loves me talking about football, but I had to post this anyway.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/standings/round=2241/group=2635.html

Northern Ireland top of their group at the halfway stage (ish), I don't remember that EVER happening before, and god know's it'll probably never happen again, so I'm enjoying it while I can. Not like we get the chance to gloat very often!

sith-smith

Grand Master
Well, it's just that i can't ever join in the conversations.

And there's no one here I can talk martial arts with :?

:lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Well, you could try and talk martial arts with us. We just wouldn't have a clue what we were talking about! (No change there really!)

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
sith-smith said:

maybe some secret ninjas amoung us .i will have a chat if you want mate

jayjedi

Sith Lord
sith-smith said:

we will start talking about martial arts if you can pick some footy lingo up :D

i know you are a black belt but what dan are you :?:

2stripes

Jedi Master
weasel said:

Northern Ireland top of their group at the halfway stage (ish), I don't remember that EVER happening before, and god know's it'll probably never happen again, so I'm enjoying it while I can. Not like we get the chance to gloat very often!

Just watched the goals mate, Healey is a goal machine 29 in 56 starts! Would love to see you qualify, could be the only British team there!

Think you have a better shout at qualification than Scotland who lost, they have an awful group - France Ukraine and Italy! Couldn't handle the scots making it and the English failing, totaly unbearable.

Still think 'we' will make it, (I'm Welsh for the rugby and English for the football. I'm just a confused mongrel half breed basically).

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
sith-smith said:

Mr Miyagi is always available to dicuss the antient art of fly swatting with you...

news1304.jpg

:eek:

Jason

Bollux

Grand Master
sith-smith said:

Dont worry about it Gary, I know nothing about football either

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
sith-smith said:
I Study Ninjutsu

You really should look at my signature weasel. :lol:

I'm a 7th Dan.

Never even heard of Ninjutsu!
Seen in on your signature but didnt realise it was actually the martial art you did! :oops: Pretty smart me!

So what exactly is involved in Ninjutsu, other than beating the crap out of each other, is it one of them that uses sticks/bamboo rods/whatever they are called?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
2stripes said:
weasel said:

Just watched the goals mate, Healey is a goal machine 29 in 56 starts! Would love to see you qualify, could be the only British team there!

Think you have a better shout at qualification than Scotland who lost, they have an awful group - France Ukraine and Italy! Couldn't handle the scots making it and the English failing, totaly unbearable.

Still think 'we' will make it, (I'm Welsh for the rugby and English for the football. I'm just a confused mongrel half breed basically).

There can't be many international strikers with a better goals to games ratio than Healey! AND he plays with a bunch of players most of whom I've never even heard of!
The man's a god over here!

No mission of us qualifying though. We still have to go to Spain and Sweden (last 2 games I think) plus Denmark at Windsor, can see us finishing third or a respectable fourth. Respectable, in that we have the same population as Yorkshire and are in a group with 3 of Europe's 'better' sides.

Fingers crossed for that miracle!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
hey gary, just looked at the ninjutsu website in your signature.

please fill me on in this - it says there are no rules, regulations or competitions. so how do they determine who is good and who is not if there's no set moves etc? is it literally freestyle?

sith-smith

Grand Master
Info overload alert. :lol:

All that's set in Ninjutsu is the basic principles. The principles are based on the 4 basic elements earth water fire and wind.

For example, earth movements are very small, low and solid and usually involve introducing people to the floor in a very direct manner, There are two earth techniques in the videos..the second and fourth ones.

water is very defensive, it tends to involve movements that move away from the attack, then crash back in, like the waves on a beach. That's the first technique on the videos

fire is aggresive, It largely involves just smacking the **** out of your opponent, using anything you can. The last part of the first technique is fire.

and wind is evasive. It tends to be ducking out of the way and moving around your opponent so you're to the side or behind. That's the 3rd video. It's the hardest of all the elements to master.

You learn how to move/think in each element. You learn loads of techniques but there are no offical techniques that have to be learnt in a specific order. All those videos are of basic beginner techniques.

As your ability to use a certain element increases you will go up in grade level. You need to demonstrate techniques along the way to show how the element is used, but like I said, they aren't really fixed as such.

Then you learn how to blend the elements that's up to about brown/black belt

Then you learn to develop the ability to move without thinking about which element you use. By that time it should become second nature. That's round about black belt level up to 3rd dan.

Then your body needs to just react, on it's own to whichever element is the most useful at that time. It's a weird feeling but you body just moves where it needs to. That's up to about 5th Dan

After that you just improve on what you've got, constantly trying to get the same result with less and less effort and movement. You need to have mastered this by 8th Dan, then you become a master.

sith-smith

Grand Master
There are no rules and regulations. Nothing is banned. If in a fight you picked up a chair and used it, you would be using Ninjutsu, as long as it conformed to Ninjutsu movements. In fact, we teach students to use improvised weapons :twisted:

In terms of freestyle, in the martial arts world that usually does have restrictions placed on it. Even UFC and cage rage have rules.....and a lot of them.

However training is not freestyle, everything is controlled and practiced safely, otherwise people would get badly injured and therefore would not be able to defend themselves.

But as you progress it does start to become more real, and at all times, when someone throws a punch at you, they are aiming to hit you, and at the higher levels (even way before black belt) they will try to knock you out.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
sith-smith said:
Info overload alert. :lol:

All that's set in Ninjutsu is the basic principles. The principles are based on the 4 basic elements earth water fire and wind.

For example, earth movements are very small, low and solid and usually involve introducing people to the floor in a very direct manner, There are two earth techniques in the videos..the second and fourth ones.

water is very defensive, it tends to involve movements that move away from the attack, then crash back in, like the waves on a beach. That's the first technique on the videos

fire is aggresive, It largely involves just smacking the **** out of your opponent, using anything you can. The last part of the first technique is fire.

and wind is evasive. It tends to be ducking out of the way and moving around your opponent so you're to the side or behind. That's the 3rd video. It's the hardest of all the elements to master.

You learn how to move/think in each element. You learn loads of techniques but there are no offical techniques that have to be learnt in a specific order. All those videos are of basic beginner techniques.

As your ability to use a certain element increases you will go up in grade level. You need to demonstrate techniques along the way to show how the element is used, but like I said, they aren't really fixed as such.

Then you learn how to blend the elements that's up to about brown/black belt

Then you learn to develop the ability to move without thinking about which element you use. By that time it should become second nature. That's round about black belt level up to 3rd dan.

Then your body needs to just react, on it's own to whichever element is the most useful at that time. It's a weird feeling but you body just moves where it needs to. That's up to about 5th Dan

After that you just improve on what you've got, constantly trying to get the same result with less and less effort and movement. You need to have mastered this by 8th Dan, then you become a master.

Cool 8) , so your not far off becoming a master then Gary!?

How long you been at it, how long would it take someone starting out to reach black belt? (Not that I have the patience for it)

sith-smith

Grand Master
With regular training you could make it to black in 3 years.

I'm been doing martial arts for 18 years, about 14years on this one.

Long way before i reach 8th Dan. probably not until I'm nearing 40!!!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
sith-smith said:
With regular training you could make it to black in 3 years.

I'm been doing martial arts for 18 years, about 14years on this one.

Long way before i reach 8th Dan. probably not until I'm nearing 40!!!

Do your reactions not start slowing down once you get to 40 odd?
(Not that I would fancy TRYING to fight someone who is an 8th dan no matter what age they are)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom