THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 27 LAUNCHED

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
rendahl-facebook_zps2xnnxz6q.png

The Vintage Rebellion return after their extended break with their longest podcast to date, beating the previous longest by a staggering 26 minutes, good luck to those who listen to this in one sitting!

Joining the team this month for an interview is a well known name in the collecting community, Mattias Rendahl, Mattias talks about his books, preproduction and growing up in Sweden with Star Wars amongst many other things.

Also this month, David Moss of Toy Polloi returns to the show to discuss the restoration of Vintage Star Wars. David discusses restoring toys fit for the bin, sometimes using techniques seen by some as controversial to hardcore collectors. This months Oddball section hopes to trigger some interesting conversations and highlight some of David's incredible restorations.

An extended rebel briefings sees much discussed from the charming message in a falcon story, fake wollworth baggies, Palitoy 30 back fetts, Meccano Fett world record sale as well as many other stories being discussed in the community. We also hear some interviews from Celebration from various collectors who attended the event.

Mattheiu Barthelemy join the team during the Newest Acquisitions segment to discuss his recent purchase of a Meccano Landspeeder, whilst the boys also look at other stand out buys within the collecting community.

We have a Celebration break down, rapid fire and the usual song, as the Rebellion return to what they do best. ENJOY!!!

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Started listening this morning.

Some feedback on the room sales:-

This is a viral pop up event which is completely free and hotels are not consulted about the event beforehand. Chris G did really well to find a space suitable to hold this years event, as hotel options in the area round excel are very limited. I helped looked for alternate venues (the bookable bar room at the Fox and some of the rooms downstairs at the China Palace), but this would have meant charging for entry and the logical hassles of someone having to guarantee the minimum bar tab up front. For the fox this was £1500. Under the circumstances, the room sales we had were as good can have been achieved with what was available. At one point it looked like there wasn't going to be one. Be happy with what we got. :)

Jason

Woolyniner

Jedi Knight
Enjoyed the section with the Toy Polloi chap so much I got out my old snowspeeder and han solo gun and repaired the electronics today. First time I've seen them work since 1983. Thankyou so much for the interview which reminded why I got back into star wars collecting in the first place - repairing and restoring my old toys.

A

Anonymous

Woolyniner said:
Enjoyed the section with the Toy Polloi chap so much I got out my old snowspeeder and han solo gun and repaired the electronics today. First time I've seen them work since 1983. Thankyou so much for the interview which reminded why I got back into star wars collecting in the first place - repairing and restoring my old toys.

Thanks Woolyniner. It was a fun interview to do. 40 years on and I am still 'playing' with toys, just in a new way.

Cheers

Dave - Toy Polloi

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Another great episode as always. Thanks for the work you put into these.

A great interview with Toypolloi. I love Dave's videos despite me having neither the ability or patience ( I've got neuro damage and was clumsy enough beforehand ) to do anything similar. I find there's something oddly therapeutic in watching them. That and, like Retroblasting, it's nice seeing inside the toys.

Can I put forward a suggestion, lads? Show notes! Last month I couldn't find the video of the educational slides set you mentioned. This month's turn was the period video involving the Early Bird. Both sound right up my street and i can't find the buggers.

Richard_H

Grand Master
Here's the video for the EB. Kicks in around 1:40. Stu will post the remedial kit.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/450868981

Cheers for all the feedback guys.

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
Not just saying this to kiss all your boys' asses, but yours just may be the podcast I most look forward to listening to each month. And given the length of it, it takes me the full month to listen to each episode! :D

Seriously though, I can only imagine the work that goes into producing it, all for no compensation for you guys. Just know that there are many listeners out there that appreciate your work immensely.

spoons

Grand Master
About an hour in but really good summary of the note in the falcon. I hadn't followed that tale after the initial find - very interesting

Only other comment is more drunk interviews please :lol:

Starzone

Padawan
Just listened.....great podcast as always guys, enjoyed the celebration round-up and always love listening to Mattias.

The toy restoration segment I found disturbing, sure at the end of the day you can do what you want to your own stuff. But YouTube videos showing repairs, bleaching and restoration can not be good for the hobby in my opinion.

Shaky_BobaFett

Padawan
I keep repeating my self but lads this a super episode. Full of interviews and lots of great info. Mattais interview was awesome, mattheiu was great and enjoyed listening to toy polli ( think that's correct?) right or wrong he knows how to resurrect a figure from the death!
And loved the drunken recordings from the room sales.... It was like being there- As always great banter lads.
Ps........ It's still not long enough ! :D :D
Cheers ⚒

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Enjoying it so far, I'm off to my shed to make a 47 back tie pilot coin offer MOC for Grant :)

spoons

Grand Master
44 mins to go and definitely one of my favourite epsiodes so far. Mattias and Matthieu were very interesting but David's piece has been the highlight so far. Very thought provoking and although I don't share all his views I totally respect his right to restore his collection. If he was simply customising there would be a lot less controversy - in my opinion restoring beaters isn't so different. I'd also agree that SW is unique in its vitriol against repro, but maybe that is more to do with some of the sellers of repro having particularly bad attitudes?

Even the views I don't share are somewhat hypocritical. I've used Oxy10 on my Action Men to remove pen (a Hitler moustache) is that so different from bleaching? And although I'm not anti repro in principle I've never liked repro stickers on ships as they seem pointless to me, but like Grant I'm now a bit torn. Why should my opinion be more valid than someone else's, David makes a very good case.

Great food for thought

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
spoons said:
44 mins to go and definitely one of my favourite epsiodes so far. Mattias and Matthieu were very interesting but David's piece has been the highlight so far. Very thought provoking and although I don't share all his views I totally respect his right to restore his collection. If he was simply customising there would be a lot less controversy - in my opinion restoring beaters isn't so different. I'd also agree that SW is unique in its vitriol against repro, but maybe that is more to do with some of the sellers of repro having particularly bad attitudes?

Even the views I don't share are somewhat hypocritical. I've used Oxy10 on my Action Men to remove pen (a Hitler moustache) is that so different from bleaching? And although I'm not anti repro in principle I've never liked repro stickers on ships as they seem pointless to me, but like Grant I'm now a bit torn. Why should my opinion be more valid than someone else's, David makes a very good case.

Great food for thought

Not to turn this all into (another) repro / anti-repro discussion, but I think it all boils down to the fact that the world is not black and white, and those that tell you that it is are either lying to you, lying to themselves, or otherwise naïve. I can be against U-grades but still like some of the other services AFA provides. I can love my wife but hate when she nags me about XYZ issue. I can think that recards and Orme's **** have no place in the hobby and are dangerous and also have strong disdain for repro stickers but also think that using bleach to take the yellow off a beater Stormtrooper or painting a beater figure into a beautiful custom is ok.

The world is not black and white. It's fifty shades of grey. Hey, I should trademark that. :D

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
( Cushing voice )I grow tired of asking this. Where is the video of the educational slides?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Enjoyed the discussion about my trilogo Fett. I agree with Rich that they're not super rare like a first shot or (non Revenge) proof card but then I've had "one of a kind" items in my collection before that cost a fraction of the Fett. Unfortunately Fett has all the ingredients to make him expensive - hugely desirable and not THAT easy to find.

Saying that, I still think in the grand scheme of things he is pretty rare. There are what, 40 known trilogo Madines? I definitely haven't seen 40 trilogo Fetts for sale over the last 20 years that I've been collecting. I have definitely seen way more than 40 carded Yak Faces for sale, yet he is currently commanding similar money. I can count on one hand the amount of Fetts I have seen sell at open auction on eBay over the last decade. So maybe not uber rare, but still in my opinion the second hardest to find and second most expensive trilogo. And this is coming from somebody who laughs when 21 back Fetts sell for $3000, because there are TONNES of those out there (5 on eBay right now.)

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
chipsteak said:
( Cushing voice )I grow tired of asking this. Where is the video of the educational slides?

Personally I think you should ask a few more times :?

Here is the link where you can view it buddy

http://www.miketarkin.com/moikemac/2014/05/vintage-star-wars-filmstrip.html

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom