Showcase Advice - Please Read

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
We all love to gawp at each others collections, but please be careful when posting limelights. There are some shady people in this hobby who would love to get their hands on your collection, so please avoid or at least use caution when posting:

1) Very high value items
2) Photos that show your house in any detail
3) Any personal information that could help trace you such as phone number, address, real name, even location
4) Also remember that anybody you buy or sell with will likely have your name and address, so again be careful who you deal with.

Josh

Sith Lord
LOL AJ.

Best not show your friends either. Or your families friends. Or anyone for that matter. In fact...we should all just do a J.W and limelight other peoples collections that we find online. :lol:

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
These details can also be gathered by giving your Facebook and eBay details. I noticed in One of the threads On here has these details.

I'd advise that swapping these details should be done by PM.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Also be careful of cameras that automatically put geo tagging co-ordinates on your photos as this will say exactly where your collection is. The iphone will do this for example. There are various pieces of software that let you edit or remove geo tagging on photos. I do this on all the pics I take at home.

Jason

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
mr_palitoy said:
Also be careful of cameras that automatically put geo tagging co-ordinates on your photos as this will say exactly where your collection is. The iphone will do this for example.

I didn't realise that, scary! Where is this information stored in the image file?

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
mr_palitoy said:
Also be careful of cameras that automatically put geo tagging co-ordinates on your photos as this will say exactly where your collection is. The iphone will do this for example.

I didn't realise that, scary! Where is this information stored in the image file?

It's stored in EXIF format in the image header:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format

You can disable geo tagging on your iphone under Settings->Location Services->Camera

I check gps info on all my photos as part of my upload procedure. I have a Panasonic TMZ10 which has an inbuilt GPS which can be slow to catch up on location so can get them wrong.

On Apple Mac I use GPS-Info and Google Earth to display gps coordinates and then use Geotagger to retag the photos with updated gpsinfo.

Typically I correct incorrect co-ordinates and obscure co-ords taken in private houses to the nearest train station etc so they are quite generic.

Photos uploads sites are starting to do things with EXIF info on uplodaded photos. iPhoto will display them as will flickr which has an option to turn off gps info on the photos you upload. Facebook isn't using the info yet but does have options to tag locations on your photos. Photobucket strips EXIF currently.

Hope that helps!

Jason

Chrome_Jedi

Padawan
LOL@ mr.pallitoy. Good advice as i have a 75lb pitbull, i dont think anyones climbing in the window anytime soon :D . As guns are illegal here i cant take tiefighterboy's route sigh.

x-pack

Grand Master
Good grief! I must stress that before i post any of my photos i have a black belt and i'm not afraid to use it! :twisted:

What sort of dodgy folk should i be looking out for? What do Star Wars thieving gets look like? If they are smaller than me that's ok. The Mrs will sort 'em out 8)

Jez

Sith Lord
Lots of good ideas here.
If any of you are really paranoid about your possessions going walkies, you could always ask me to look after them for you.
We have security fences, armed guards, guards with dogs and guards in vehicles. The most valuable items located here are about £20 million a pop and there are a a lot of them. I'd happily look after any DT figures, GDE MOCs etc

We have all of this extra security but can i get my car insurance lowered because of it? Can i f##k!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I wish I never read this thread now I'm paranoid enough as it is not that my collection is worth that much, but still.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom