latest film/ dvd you have seen

supergoose

Padawan
Supporter
Just ordered my tickets for Dune 2. Been a about 6 months since I've been to the cinema and really enjoyed the first film so looking forward to that :cool:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Can't wait for Dune 2...

Watched The Marvels and didn't hate it. The extremely low expectations probably helped. Was fun, very daft and quite incohesive at times. Thought the singing planet was the kind of thing that would be in a GoTG film. Not great, but not terrible. Much rather watch this than the boring, self-absorbed, boring, self-important, laborious, hugely unoriginal, boring, pompous Avatar 2 any day of the week!

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Can't wait for Dune 2...

Watched The Marvels and didn't hate it. The extremely low expectations probably helped. Was fun, very daft and quite incohesive at times. Thought the singing planet was the kind of thing that would be in a GoTG film. Not great, but not terrible. Much rather watch this than the boring, self-absorbed, boring, self-important, laborious, hugely unoriginal, boring, pompous Avatar 2 any day of the week!

Agree with you about Avatar 2, that was truly dreadful.
I'm glad that I lowered your expectations so much you enjoyed it…to a degree.
I've got to the point where I'm going to cancel my Disney+ subscription when it comes up for renewal in March, as I haven't seen anything lately to make me want to keep it.
I wonder if I'm alone in this decision?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
My nephew was saying the same the other day...

Bad Batch and The Acolyte are coming up...

I quite like Bad Batch… but not £80.00 much.

If that's the best I can look forward to then it's a no brainier.

I've no idea what the Acolyte is, so won't miss what I don't know about.

I'll cancel for a year and then see whats new next year.

lejackal

Grand Master
Even my lads currently watch Netflix more than Disney (6 & 10yo)

I keep it mostly for the Fox stuff and old Marvel - Xmen animated series, Agents of Shield, Agent Carter plus a stack of 80's fun - oh, and Gargoyles

Pomse2001

Grand Master
last night I saw Moontrap, awesome movie. I was so sure after I saw it that there was a sequel, but no there was not a 2nd movie. I read that they wanted to make one but they could
not find the money for it :oops: Awesome movie with 2 great actors. I am surprised it only got 4.8 on imdb :oops: Walter Koenig from Star Trek are fantastic in this movie with Bruce Campbell from Evil Dead (y)

Here are some pictures from that movie.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Just watched Dune 2…..argh lads, they ****ed it.

Really disappointed. They changed so much and none of it for the better. I won't spoil it too much but……there is far far far too much quasi-religiousness, the book has a degree of it but this is more of a film about a religious leader than a SciFi film. His mum is a totally different, incredibly manipulative character. The plot twist with the Harkonens was ….DAFUQ…. Even the pacing is off, the first half drags as they establish him as leader of the cult, I mean Fremen, then the battle is over in 5 minutes. And the ending. **** off.

When the film ended the cinema I was in was in silence. It was stunned silence but more a case of WHAT THE **** WAS THAT. Than "wow that was good!" I heard one guy ask his mate "did you understand any of that?" And his mate just laughed and went "Did I ****!"

It's not a 'bad' film. It's visually stunning, the effects are seamless and the acting is top notch. If you don't know the book or the original film you may well love it. It's just so much less than it could have been. So much less than it promised to be.

Hollywood, if you get a book that is a classic and you decide to make a film, and the first one is loved and critically adored, IN THE NAME OF GOOD **** DON'T go changing things 'to make them better' all you do is **** it up. Like you did here. Like you did with The Hobbit. Like you do every single time.

SOOOOOOOO disappointed.

When I came out of the first one I wanted to go straight back and watch it again. When I came out of this one, I wished I hadn't seen it.

Last edited:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Having thought about it more over night, it's the characterisation that bugs me.
I don't like how they portrayed Paul's mum, I don't like the route his relationship with Chani goes once he becomes leader, I don't like the overly religious element to his leading the Fremen, I don't like how Stilgar could literally be a fundamentalist street preacher and the character would be no different, and I don't like how the film is all about the Benegesuit scheming rather than a more galactic "plans within plans". Everyone just seems to go along with being manipulated.

This could have been all time good, instead it's just another film ruined by Holywood rewritting chunks of it for no reason.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Having thought about it more over night, it's the characterisation that bugs me.
I don't like how they portrayed Paul's mum, I don't like the route his relationship with Chani goes once he becomes leader, I don't like the overly religious element to his leading the Fremen, I don't like how Stilgar could literally be a fundamentalist street preacher and the character would be no different, and I don't like how the film is all about the Benegesuit scheming rather than a more galactic "plans within plans". Everyone just seems to go along with being manipulated.

This could have been all time good, instead it's just another film ruined by Holywood rewritting chunks of it for no reason.
I'd read that this was a film to avoid, so I did.
Just another example of "things being improved" by Hollywood.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Having looked on Twitter I seem to be the only person who doesn't think it is the most amazing film ever ever.
Well, me and everyone who was in the cinema with me.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Saw it today and really enjoyed it. The scale, acting (excellent cast), special effects and that score- wow! However, I haven't read the books, so can understand you not being happy, if you're an original fan. I felt the same with parts of LOTR (although loved the trilogy overall) and most definitely The Hobbit, which was a disaster for the most part.

supergoose

Padawan
Supporter
Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it as did the missus and (grown up) daughters. Came out buzzing about it and chatted about it in detail for a good half an hour afterwards as we did part 1. I'm a big fan of the original film and score but have never read the books. As a fan of the original film and score I was worried about them over "Hollywood-ing" it and drowning us with special effects at the expense of the characters and story telling. I found it the total opposite. Loved the pace and character development and enjoyed where they took the story but again this is from someone who hasn't read the books so I can imagine if you read the books you may have some issues with where they took the storyline. Massive thumbs up from me though. I just hope it does well enough at the box office for them to make part 3 as it's perfectly poised for it 👍

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I finally found The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Season 2 and 3 with danish sub. on DVD, I have not seen them since I was a kid in the 90s

So friday I began to watch season 2 and it is still awesome, the only thing I miss are the indiana jones music in the background

01.jpg

lejackal

Grand Master
Just watched Gran Turismo, very entertaining and based on a true story. Some good acting and not that far from the truth so far as I can see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom