How do you guys do it!!??

darth_daddius

Jedi Knight
I am absolutely floored by how much some of you are across all the forums, Facebook and the community in general. I consider myself a serious collector who has invested a LOT of money into my collection, but I am a babe in the woods compared to some of you. How the bloody heck do you do it?

I joined SWFUK a few months ago, joined the Imperial Gunnery a while ago (I have maybe 2 posts) and RS ages ago. BUT, I have so few posts in each of those compared to some of you. And I'm not even on Facebook yet. How do you guys manage to be across all three forums (that I know about), Ebay and Facebook?

I just don't have the time to post so much on any of these forums anymore - and live. I've been tempted to join Facebook recently, but that will just be another lot of threads that I am scanning looking to learn and also to find those very elusive pieces for my focus. Thankfully a few of you have looked after me and told me about some items that have come up for sale, but I just don't seem to be able to keep my eyes on all the forums, let alone Ebay and Facebook. Any advice?

I take my hat off to many of you.

Sincerely,
Pat

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
I feel the same mate! Hardly ever use TIG and RS- simply don't have the time. Much prefer this place- mine of info, good sales and a really good community.

I decided to leave Facebook completely a few months ago. It definitely has its benefits, but I found it invasive and time consuming. The negatives outweighed the positives. I know I must miss out on some good deals, but I felt a weight had lifted when I left and I haven't looked back. Feeling tied to FB is unhealthy IMHO.

Just do what you're comfortable with and don't worry about what others do. If someone is online 24-7, surely something, somewhere else in their life has got to give. You need to give balance to the force ;)

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I don't use TIG or RS at all, I touch in and out of Facebook depending (in all honesty) on what is listed in the FS posts.
This place is the only one I spend any quality time and the only one I feel I really contribute to though.
I couldn't spare the time to be on all forums/media all the time personally, respect to those that do get on a lot of them and actually contribute to them rather than just liking everything... Let's not forget though that there are guys that have been on a lot of these spaces for many, many years, so they will by default have many, many posts and have given out a lot more than they will ever get back.

spoons

Grand Master
I don't have time to go through everything either. But I do check the FB posts on my phone while slumped in front of the TV - multitasking!

jared007

Padawan
You'll be exhausted trying to keep up with it all. I have 3 or 4 FB groups I regularly have a look at each day, I check in here and TIG every so often, and listen to the Vintage Rebellion podcast and Chivecast each month.

Between all that, it keeps me more than updated!

Joe

Grand Master
I think the amount of time you can be on-line for (and reading up on vintage forums/fb groups) greatly depends on the job you do. Many people these days work from home, run their own business or have been promoted to a position in their company where they perhaps don't have a boss looking over their shoulder 24/7 so it's a lot easier to be involved daily even while you are working (not to mention the fact that almost everyone has a smart phone now with the FB app to keep them entertained at lunch or on a break).

stormcab

Sith Lord
Joe said:
I think the amount of time you can be on-line for (and reading up on vintage forums/fb groups) greatly depends on the job you do. Many people these days work from home, run their own business or have been promoted to a position in their company where they perhaps don't have a boss looking over their shoulder 24/7 so it's a lot easier to be involved daily even while you are working (not to mention the fact that almost everyone has a smart phone now with the FB app to keep them entertained at lunch or on a break).

True. I'm a cabby, and lots of times I'm on a rank or stopped to eat, so I can scroll through stuff online.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I totally agree, I don't have the time and wouldn't want to spend the time looking at and being involved in all of it, it's too much. I think it also does depend what's going on in your life at the time and what you do day to day for work and that. Like at the moment I'm in what I'd call a not normal period of life as I've just moved a couple of weeks ago. I've got a big list of ongoing jobs and things to do and get for the new house. Also have a nipper and a pregnant Mrs and working full time. Life is busy and there's no way I can participate in all the platforms. I'm not on RS or TIG. I am now a member of a few FB groups but I don't view them constantly and my involvement in them is minimal, just mostly check the sales threads every couple of days. I use Ebay, have done for ten years. I'm happy just getting on here a couple of times a day.. it works for me and I never feel like I'm missing out on anything. Touching on Joe's point, I am lucky to have a job (HGV Driver) where I can browse on my phone in the day during breaks, waiting periods and traffic jams.

MarkG

Jedi Master
I'm lucky to have a decent boss and free wifi....however, the sites I used to be most active on are either dead (Gadders & IOP) or dying (RS)

Spend most of my time either on here or on the FB groups (although I rarely post on them).

bobbybobs

Padawan
Mate I used to be pretty active on most forums and all over FB but I have to admit that it really started to catch up with me and I had to wind down my involvement, especially on FB. I love this hobby but I don't want it take over all of my spare time.

By the way Pat it's great you signed up here and on TIG but you've forgotten about an amazingly wonderful new vintage forum - TantiveXI.com :)

bobbybobs

Padawan
I hope so because I'm a mod....

Obviously we love it but it is a brand new forum so it will take some time before it gets really busy. One of our main goals is to build a first-class COO and figure guide (in progress).

poncho

Grand Master
bobbybobs said:

Obviously we love it but it is a brand new forum so it will take some time before it gets really busy. One of our main goals is to build a first-class COO and figure guide (in progress).
Il think il join is it mobile phone friendly?

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
I've been pretty active on RS and many of the Facebook groups at the same time for about three years. Once RS was going downhill a bit, I still wanted the forum experience, so came over here and have been very happy with the move. Some great dudes and interesting discussion.

I will say that, for better or for worse, for the long term or the short term, if you don't spend any time on at least some of the Facebook groups, you aren't getting the full picture of where the hobby is today. I know I may sound biased as an admin of a few of the many groups out there, but it's just the facts - I'm saying this objectively as possible. With that said, it's entirely possible that tomorrow, next year, whenever that Facebook will no longer be relevant and that the forums may be the best source again, or maybe it will be some other venue. I don't think anyone knows for sure right now.

But as a I said, for better or for worse, most of the sales and a lot of what's otherwise going on in the hobby goes down in the Facebook groups. Great that this forum has stayed lively and relevant at the same time too of course. So while it may take a bit more time, my suggestion is if you want to keep your hand on the pulse of the hobby, try to make time for both, even if just briefly.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
I resisted FB for years but relented as it became increasingly apparent it was a necessary medium to promote by business, it can be extremely time consuming trying to keep up with both forums and FB but as I'm not really actively collecting I'm glad the bulk of my buying days were spent while the forums and Ebay were the places to be. So much easier and less time consuming.

FB is like the wild west for buying as the quickest draw wins and although it's the current go to place for Vintage sales it's most certainly on the decline as far as social media itself is concerned. You only have to google what younger generations feel about facebook to realise they consider it a place their parents hang out and therefore uncool and not for them.

It's so hard as an old fart like me to keep abreast of current trends, I'm currently talking with a mate who's a bit of a guru with social media getting some direction on where to concentrate my energy business wise. He suggested Instagram and snapchat are the places to be these days so it's getting my head around the whole # malarky but even them I'm apparently quite late to the party as far as all that's concerned. He also agrees that FB is on the downward slide and who knows how long before it goes the way of other internet giants like My Space and Yahoo. Seems as soon as something becomes popular it's no longer "cool" to like it and like good little sheep we all move to a different, cooler and more confusing paddock.

So Pat, forget all I said about Facebook via email mate as obviously I have no idea what I'm talking about :lol:

bobbybobs

Padawan
poncho said:
bobbybobs said:

Il think il join is it mobile phone friendly?

Hey that would be cool!

Yes very mobile friendly. You can also attach photos directly from your phone, which is a big thing for me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom