Find me a laptop

x-pack

Grand Master
Right lads, I need a new laptop...

Primarily it'll be for editing photos so doesn't need to be too fancy. Ideally a DVD drive would be good although I know that's a bit old fashioned. It's just for installing Photoshop and burning discs.

Budget is under £500. Ideally Windows not Mac.

Can anyone reccomend something suitable?

Cheers

lejackal

Grand Master
You might be better to get the laptop and buy an optical drive separately as not many come built in the last time I looked.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
lejackal said:
You might be better to get the laptop and buy an optical drive separately as not many come built in the last time I looked.

Yes good advice, you can get decent external USB drives for about £20 now.

At your budget the main thing you want is an SSD hard disk, don't be fooled by 'higher capacity' mechanical hard disks that many budget laptops come with which are a lot slower but look appealing due to their size. 8+ GB RAM. And for the processor rather than looking out for i3/i5/i7 what you need to know is what generation processor it is. The current is 10th, so you really don't want to buy anything older than 8th generation (look at the first number after the dash, eg i5-8250 for an 8th generation i5 processor.) For photo editing a high resolution (4k or equivalent) display would be useful, but you might struggle to get one for £500.

x-pack

Grand Master
Cheers lads. It's a baffling world computery things when you haven't got a clue. But I can put a list together of what to look for. My last one was a Sony Vaio that only cost about £400. Lasted years and did everything I wanted it to.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
x-pack said:
Cheers lads. It's a baffling world computery things when you haven't got a clue. But I can put a list together of what to look for. My last one was a Sony Vaio that only cost about £400. Lasted years and did everything I wanted it to.

First time have heard anything positive said about a Sony Vaio.

x-pack

Grand Master
StarWarsFan said:
x-pack said:

Honestly I never had any issue with it. Worked very well for photoshop

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
x-pack said:
StarWarsFan said:
x-pack said:

Honestly I never had any issue with it. Worked very well for photoshop

Fair enough

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom