Christmas palitoy longings.

Mwak73

Padawan
Ha, isn't it amazing how you gain a fresh view of things in your adult years.
Just a daft little observation -
I'm realising more and more as time goes on, that I've been fairly naive throughout my life.
Take the star wars toys. Kenner and palitoy.
Now, I'm not a collector at all. I only have a few bits, purely for nostalgia.
Now, seeing as it's currently Christmas, here's a Christmas memory for you -
One of the biggest bugbears of my whole childhood, was never receiving the millennium falcon.
I must have asked for it, year after year, back in the very early 80s. But never came close to getting it.
I could never figure out why.
Ha, now I do.
I recall seeing the re-released toy line years later as an adult (Hasbro I think?) which were made, using the same Kenner molds.
And I thought, ooh, maybe I'll finally get a millennium falcon. Buy one just for nostalgia. They'll be about twenty five pound,I thought.
I saw the price. I think it was about a hundred quid at the time.
You must be bloody joking! I exclaimed.
A hundred quid, for a lump of thin plastic.
I put it all down to greedy, money grabbing, modern day toy companies.
Bah,I thought.... Wasn't like that back when I was a nipper. They were fairly priced back then.

And this is the main gist of my tale.
I really must have been naive all these years, because I've only just recently worked out, that no, they weren't cheap as chips either, back in the day.
Inflation is a concept that has seemingly totally bypassed me most of my life.
I used to see the price of star wars figures, forty years ago. About £1.50 each.
Cheap as chips!
The swines charge about 7 pound a time for figures now!
I never ever realised, that a pound fifty, in 1980 was exactly the same value, as seven pound is these days.
Like I say, naive.

And so I always used to look at the price of a millennium falcon back when I was a kid, when they were first out (about twenty quid I think) and think "only" twenty quid.
Not like today when they charge five times that! Why wouldn't mother buy me one.... She mustn't love me 😱

Stupid sod 😂

I now fully realise why I never got that falcon. There were four of us kids in the house to buy for, and we just didn't have that type of money per kid, back then.
So..... That meant having to make do with the occasional mini-rig I was given, instead.
Which, of course, I did. And was grateful.
Still..... Didn't ever stop me gazing longingly, at the toy section of my mother's Littlewoods catalogue, on the build-up to every subsequent Christmas and hope and hope.
Maybe one year ,eh.....

Mwak73

Padawan
..... PS....
I fully realise that in a lot of households these days, a hundred pounds spent at Christmas, per child, would be nothing.
Even with four children.
Five times that amount, likely. Crikey, ten times, in some cases.

Even back in the day, that was the case,I would guess.

But not in our house.
That much was never spent.
I'm actually glad it was the case, looking back.
Made me really appreciate what I was given, and the value of things, when I grew up.

Mwak73

Padawan
PS..... There may have been a sprinkling of irony in that last comment of mine.
Have a sift through it, and see if you can see it. 😉

Mwak73

Padawan
But on a serious level..... Yes, I like to fully express what I need to say.
And the sad aspect of life, as it speeds up, year upon year, means that folks just want everything instantly and now. Especially on the internet.
And its such an effort to get through anything longer than 3 lines, that mostly, they'll just move past it and not be bothered.

And that's where the real shame lies, because if that effort is ever put in, I'm sure the reader would enjoy it.
You see, I know how to construct a piece of writing, to have a beginning, a middle and an end. To fill it with the odd bit of humour, and to tell something interesting.

The length of any writing, is so very much less important, than what it has to say, by the end of it.

It's easy for anyone, to write snappy 3-line comments, but a hell of a lot harder, to make them say anything remotely interesting.

Mwak73

Padawan
Plus - I'm not remotely interested in buying or selling, as I'm not a collector.
So my interest lies in reminiscing, or telling anecdotes, connected to growing up as an original star wars fan.
If anyone is interested.
And that is frankly almost impossible to do, in a few lines.

Mwak73

Padawan
I'm not a champ.
Just an ordinary bloke, trying to reach out and have a chat with people who might share similar interests.
All the best to you.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Hi

as a member of this forum there is a plethora of anecdotes, reminiscing and conversation around collecting SW Vintage, which is readily available for all to read ( take the time to its uplifting)
there is a lot of reflection on "The old days" from people from all walks of life, that's the draw on this forum.
There are posts on here from members who have a command of language skills, people who have written definitive guides with a lot of research and had books published.

we are a great group on here, as you say there is fun and tongue in cheek from you, therefore you will find that is reciprocated - all in the best possible taste.

Mwak73

Padawan
I do hope you crossed and uncrossed your legs, and shouted that last line, in the style of Kenny Everetts character Cupid Stunt, when you said that last line.
It would be absolutely marvellous if you did do 😁

Mwak73

Padawan
Q
Polish_20211226_233920564.png
And just in case my last remark seemed completely random, here's a little trip down memory lane, to show there's method in my ramblings 😂

Mwak73

Padawan
..... And anyway, Michael, if the truth be told, I'll be writing less lengthy observations and reminiscences on here, the way I'm feeling towards it.
It isn't firing up anywhere near the same enthusiasm and enjoyment in others, that I have in writing them.
I think most people just want light reading, as the sarcastic replies earlier on here, clearly point towards.
Of course, I wish everyone on the site, best wishes.

Dad of Luke

Padawan
I remember my Grandma once telling me 'you don't know the value of money' after I'd seen something I liked in a corner shop window and asked (politely) if I could have it, and I'd likely said 'but It's only £1' or whatever.
I didn't at that time know what she meant. This was the 1970's. I'd be about 7. She had lived through the horror and austerity of two world wars. And I'm flippantly asking for a pound for a lump of plastic with no understanding of the value of that pound. It taught me a lesson.
Seasons Greetings to all.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
..... And anyway, Michael, if the truth be told, I'll be writing less lengthy observations and reminiscences on here, the way I'm feeling towards it.
It isn't firing up anywhere near the same enthusiasm and enjoyment in others, that I have in writing them.
I think most people just want light reading, as the sarcastic replies earlier on here, clearly point towards.
Of course, I wish everyone on the site, best wishes.

Mwak73

Padawan
I've got to admit.... I'm a fairly intelligent bloke, quick on the uptake, but I haven't got a frigging clue what that's all about, with the young Denzel Washington-looking dude.
But you get a "like" anyway, because it's always nice to be pleasant, especially in a world, where the internet is crammed to the brim, with piss takers and when it's so much easier and quicker to give criticism.
So all the best to you. I appreciate you taking the time to add to the conversation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom