anyone play acoustic guitar?

timbo72

Sith Lord
I've just bought an acoustic guitar and had my first lesson. Other than trying to get my head around everything, I really enjoyed it. Think it might be something I can really get into (hopefully)

Anyone else play/had lessons

x-pack

Grand Master
Yes. Been playing guitar since about 1995, basically when Oasis came out and I thought they were the nuts :wink:

Been in working bands over the years playing classic rock and the sort of stuff that pleases pub crowds.

My suggestion to you is buy the best you can afford. Don't bother with shitty cheap guitars as they will put you off learning. Nothing pisses me off more when playing than someone elses gear and it sounds wank or keeps droping out of tune. These days there are loads of nice guitars out there for decent money.

If you go electric buy a small Marshall amp and a decent Fender Telecaster. A good Tele is the only guitar you will ever need. I have a 72 Custom and it's the dogs dick! 8)

The best way to learn is to play what you like, but keep it simple!. No point buying books full of tablature when you're starting out. Some tunes you might like the sounds of could end up being quite difficult to learn as they are full of fancy chords. This will put you off. Pick simple stuff. People knock Oasis but for a beginner some of their early stuff is good to learn (this is if you like them). They use simple chords but often with a slight twist, and you'll think 'that sounds ****ing awesome!'

Most important ...well perhaps joint important along with having decent gear ...is to find other people to jam with. This is what got me playing in bands. I didn't like lessons and didn't really learn much there. But playing with other musicians lit the fire for me. Be it drumming, singing or playing guitar, I ****ing love jamming with other people. Used to absolutely live for it, but then everyone got silly jobs and kids. God it's boring now :roll:

Oh! Chicks love guitarists. I bet even Brian May got a few shags from it :lol:

sith-smith

Grand Master
I'm from a musical background, though brass and piano is more what I learnt.

That said acoustic guitar has been on my list of instruments I'd love to learn!

stormcab

Sith Lord
Youtube

Simples

I picked up a guitar for the first time in 2010 and practiced hard for a year. I tried a couple of teachers, but like when I I had a scuba instructor, then a gym instructor, they either want to string you along (pardon the pun) so you pay them loads over time, or spend a big chunk of a lesson showing off their skill instead of teaching you. After all it's their passion, and they want to make a living from it.

Yes I knuckled down and practiced scales and chords, but they were obviously boring as hell, so decided to choose the songs I love and find the tutorials on Youtube. There were tons, and all broken down slowly note by note and where to place your fingers.

At the end of the year, when I realised I was ok but would never be good enough, and more importantly interested enough to do anything with it, I decided to make short film of what I could do for something to look back on. I only occasionally take the guitars down from their hooks to have a play. You either fall in love with it or you don't. The video isn't doing too badly, 350,000 views and lots of nice comments.

Good luck

[youtube]I-nKaOFf2X4[/youtube]

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I've been playing guitar just over 25 years since I was a teenager. I've had a few different acoustics and electrics. Now I've got a Yamaha electroacoustic and a custom Telecaster electric. Acoustic is my favourite these days but I don't play that much anymore.

Electrics are generally easier to play than acoustics but it's nice to play acoustic because you can just pick it up and play and they sound great. My bro in law has just started learning and the only advice I give people is learn all your main chords, get 10 or 15 chords down and you can play almost anything. Also, learn how to strum and keep time, just as important as learning chords. And play the stuff you like! :D

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Been playing since 1989 age 14. Have 9 guitars now but sadly some up in the loft on the wifes orders :D

Best advice i can give is practice and be patient. Dont try starting to play mad solos from the get go, just learn the basic chords and play some nice tunes. Horse with no name was my first :D People think guitar is in the fingers, it is but it comes from the brain and heart :D

Im self taught since 1990. My parents got me lessons at £12 per hour then and i said give me £20 and ill stop lessons and buy a bok to learn, which i did. With the internet, you get everything at the touch of a key now - free youtube lessons, tab etc so its good and easier to learn now.

Definately get a Fende if you fan, ive got a white Strat which is my main player for mellow stuff...then my PRS takes over for rock/metal :D

x-pack

Grand Master
Must be your thread but last night I picked up the guitar and learnt Two Minutes To Midnight (Maiden) and These Dreams by Heart :) I only ever play a handful of tunes these days - Clapton's 'If I Could Change the World', Extreme 'Whole Hearted', Huey Lewis 'Power of Love' and Blackbird by The Beatles. They are my main ones. Must have forgotten hundreds of songs through lack of playing :roll:

timbo72

Sith Lord
Good to see so many musical people on here. Want this to be enjoyable and I'm not going into thinking I'm gonna be awesome after ten lessons. steady plod with plenty of practice

x-pack

Grand Master
Have you got past that thing of being able to hold down a few chords yet? That's the main struggle for beginners. Get through that and you're well on the way :)

timbo72

Sith Lord
A E and D. Got an exercise to keep doing and those lead to 'i like to boogie' as it has those in it. Slow but sure. Index finger is killing lol

stormcab

Sith Lord
timbo72 said:
A E and D. Got an exercise to keep doing and those lead to 'i like to boogie' as it has those in it. Slow but sure. Index finger is killing lol

Like any muscle, you exercise it, it gets stronger. Your finger tips will get sore and might tear, then then you'll develop calluses, which eventually go back to be being soft like the rest of your skin but just much tougher.

starshipriot

Jedi Master
Didnt know there were so many fellow musicians on here! I started off on acoustic, then electric, then bass but mainly play harnonica now, as you can take a few with you anywhere with relative ease.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Got a 1994 made in Japan Fender Strat.
Been playing, well, practising for a few years.
The guitar is actually too good for someone of my level, but I thought it was a sound investment on the secondhand market.
Don't be out off when you come across some chords.
Go on YouTube to supplement your learning.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom