Any TV experts on here?

yoda

Sith Lord
Hello guys I was looking a little advice on TVs if anyone could help thanks.
I have always wanted a large screen TV for movies and gaming. I don't really know to much about them or the pros and cons. I have afew questions if anyone could help. I'll go with a budget of say £600 at the moment and something around 45 - 55 inches. I know I could check in the shop but sometimes I wonder if they recommend one before the other for the shops own benefit. Some of these questions may seem silly but if anyone is familiar with what is the best deals and could help it would be great or even sending me a link.

1. Are the curved screens worth considering and paying extra? Or do they make much of a difference watching movies?

2. What do I look for in the ratings for a good crisp picture and sound? What do these ratings represent and mean?

3. What are the makes to avoid and the top brands?

4. Do all new TVs now have capabilities to collect to the web? Can I browse the web or watch movies through it eg. YouTube.

5. LED or Plasma TVs for best picture quality?

6. Should I be considering spending more if I need that quality?

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
My son is heavily into gaming and despite being offered a 'big screen', he purposely chose a specific gaming monitor (well two of the actually) for his gaming need. IMO he was absolutely correct to do so too. We have a decent big screen 4K TV with the PS4 hooked up downstairs and when I go up to his room and watch the same game being played on his PS4 through the specific gaming monitors, the picture is infinitely better... the blacks are truly black are the images are the sharpest I've ever seen...

you might want to look at splitting the tasks across two different set-ups if gaming is important to you...

yoda

Sith Lord
SAVORY100 said:
My son is heavily into gaming and despite being offered a 'big screen', he purposely chose a specific gaming monitor (well two of the actually) for his gaming need. IMO he was absolutely correct to do so too. We have a decent big screen 4K TV with the PS4 hooked up downstairs and when I go up to his room and watch the same game being played on his PS4 through the specific gaming monitors, the picture is infinitely better... the blacks are truly black are the images are the sharpest I've ever seen...

you might want to look at splitting the tasks across two different set-ups if gaming is important to you...

Ok that's good to know thanks for that advice. It'll mostly be used for movies and over time I'll add on a home entertainment specker system. I have spotted those 4k TVs in the shops.
I've took a quick look online, do you think this is a good deal? Or should I go for a different make?
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjY94Ds7qnYAhWFt-0KHYqoAPMYABAUGgJkZw&ae=1&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESEeD2MZn-PZnaJWiW9gE037vH&sig=AOD64_3DA8TKyYDy0D-N_SwFWwBuiwB0lg&ctype=46&q=&ved=0ahUKEwi6v_vr7qnYAhVKJMAKHQKGAOsQzzkIMA&adurl=http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6864855%3FstoreID%3D4124%26cmpid%3DGS001%26_%24ja%3Dtsid:59158%7Ccid:598735121%7Cagid:24290265650%7Ctid:aud-144400486596:pla-302455442866%7Ccrid:86845928210%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:4668551915265492713%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o3%7Cmt:%7Cloc:9045188%26gclid%3DCjwKCAiApo3SBRA4EiwAty8i-ja6lH3oMB3c4gIiccYSj5GbkAuAPuG3kSVLj22OSZgB0tolHilu8RoCqMgQAvD_BwE

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
I do a little work in the TV space, and while not an expert LG, Sony and Samsung are the big three and best, personally i prefer the Sony's.

I don't think the curved stuff is worth any extra, it really is a gimmick thing, but thats my opinion. As long as you get a full UHD compatibility and don't go smaller that 40" (that way you get a true pixel display rather than an upscaled one), you can't go to far wrong.

you will struggle to find a TV that isn't on the net these days, but go for a LAN over wireless if you can, for the most part it doesn't matter, but if you are a heavy streamer then it might, especially if your wifi is patchy. You should find everything in the way of inputs and outputs is pretty standard, but the HDMI's are important (the more the better) and if you are looking at really good sound then you want optical digital output to push through an amplifier. I haven't really looked at sound-bars but that could be a way to go, they have advanced a lot in the last few years.

Really though it is all down to personal taste, budget and importantly space, both wall and seating...

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Completely agree with Monkeyroo, especially about curved TVs. I think soundbars make a real difference and are a must unless you've a decent sound system you can use. You can always buy one later though so focus on getting a decent TV. I always used to get Sony but I've had my Samsung for 5 years now and I'm very happy with it.

subzero

Sith Lord
Same here I don't know **** about about TV's and monitors, but if it's gaming that's more important then I do know you'll def want a PC monitor. My brother usually gets a German branded/manufactured one imported from Germany, very high spec and quality build for a good price, high response time and no ghosting, extremely black blacks and very vibrant colours etc. A normal TV apparently just doesn't compare to it, even if it's a very expensive TV.

I can't remember the brand and model he has but if you wanna know I can find out.

yoda

Sith Lord
Hi guys thanks for input and info it was all very helpful, and subzero I think the TV I get will be good enough for my gaming thanks for the offer.
I was out today looking at TVs and will take the advice you guys gave and go for a good make.
Had alook at this one today the guy in the store obviously wanted to sell it for £750??? Or should I still shop around???
Does that seem reasonable price for this type of TV and what it has???
IMG_20171228_145746.jpg

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
Going to jump in dude...massive tv and audio nut, agree with everything everyone has said...the only thing off is that price....the only place I shop at is richer sounds. Never had an issue with them and I've been using them since I was 11! Think you'll get it a lot cheaper or something similar from them, and they price match

yoda

Sith Lord
Spookedhippie said:
Going to jump in dude...massive tv and audio nut, agree with everything everyone has said...the only thing off is that price....the only place I shop at is richer sounds. Never had an issue with them and I've been using them since I was 11! Think you'll get it a lot cheaper or something similar from them, and they price match

Ok cool thanks for that, so that TV has good enough specs?? I had never heard of 'richer sounds' before I've just checked them out online just now. I'll give them a call and see what they have.
Thanks again for that, glad I didn't pay any money earlier :)

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
We recently got a new tv. I'm not a tv and audio but but I had my heart set on an oled tv. Problem is the gap in our front room where the tv goes is too small for a 55" tv. It would fit but it would be pressed against the wall and fireplace.

So I had a look at a few 49" TVs and I liked the Samsung qled set. I did a bit of research and the tv that kept coming up on all the reviews was the Sony 49xe9005. It was originally £1500, but I got mine for £900. It's currently on offer for £949 at curry's pc world. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

I can't fault it. Great tv. Only thing to bear in mind is the speakers in these things are garbage, due to them being so thin. It's the same for all of the newer thinner TVs, so factor in some kind of additional audio. I got a Sony soundstage to go with mine and I'm really happy with it.

I got my mrs an amazon echo plus for her birthday, and we have extended this with a couple of dots. The dot in the lounge is compatible with the tv, so I use that to switch it on and off and it streams Bluetooth audio to the soundstage. All works very well.

yoda

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:
We recently got a new tv. I'm not a tv and audio but but I had my heart set on an oled tv. Problem is the gap in our front room where the tv goes is too small for a 55" tv. It would fit but it would be pressed against the wall and fireplace.

So I had a look at a few 49" TVs and I liked the Samsung qled set. I did a bit of research and the tv that kept coming up on all the reviews was the Sony 49xe9005. It was originally £1500, but I got mine for £900. It's currently on offer for £949 at curry's pc world. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

I can't fault it. Great tv. Only thing to bear in mind is the speakers in these things are garbage, due to them being so thin. It's the same for all of the newer thinner TVs, so factor in some kind of additional audio. I got a Sony soundstage to go with mine and I'm really happy with it.

I got my mrs an amazon echo plus for her birthday, and we have extended this with a couple of dots. The dot in the lounge is compatible with the tv, so I use that to switch it on and off and it streams Bluetooth audio to the soundstage. All works very well.

Ok thanks Mr-shifter all this info is a great help. I'll also look at that TV you have mentioned. I'm like yourself I like doing a bit of research before I buy something like this. The guy also in the shop today said the very same thing about the poor speaker quality in these TVs. So I guess some sort of sound system will be next. All I have at the moment is a laptop for dvds. We were in the process of building a house over the last couple of years, that's why I have waited and saved awhile to buy something really high quality for movies with surround sound now that I've finally got moved in.
Thanks again for giving me that advice everything is
very helpful.

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
yoda said:
So I guess some sort of sound system will be next.

And that will be your second lesson ;)....no worries dude, most people haven't, the guys really know their stuff and if you know which one you're having do a quick google shopping search, if you can find it in stock cheaper anywhere (and I mean anywhere) they'll price match it... saved myself a few hundred in the past doing that

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Definitely use Richer sounds, it's where I get all my stuff too. They usually give good advice based on your needs.

If you want to know whether it's the best price just google the model number... but you won't beat Richer sounds by much if at all. They're a well established quality retailer so you can't go wrong.

yoda

Sith Lord
Guys i just getting back with an update to everyone who took time to offer me advice just to say thanks.
I bought a TV today from Richer Sounds which were £150 cheaper than some stores and the cheapest overall. I had never heard of them before until this thread so thanks again guys. Currys said they would match the price but they didn't have the same model in stock once they checked. I did check reviews on the model online which were all positive (Samsung). It's amazing picture quality more superior than any TV I've ever had. And yes the sound is just ok which I was expecting from the advice you guys gave. The store guy was trying to offer me a AV System with speakers other than a sound bar. I have let it sit for the moment but I will need something with better sound soon.
So now I am at my next question. Does anyone know much about surround sound systems and the cables? I have dug out my old LG surround sound system and i don't know if it will work with these TVs. I have been trying to get it set up but have hit a problem.
The pictures below are the box on the TV and the back of the surround sound speaker system. Is it possible to connect these together with some sort of adapter? Which will allow me to use the PS4 as a blue ray player. I have been looking online but can't seem to find out. Or is this type of model no good for these new TVs? Or will I have to make another drive to Richer Sounds?
15161347720931494596354.jpg

1516134853006595251209.jpg

1516134887115995245054.jpg

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
With regards the PS4, this should be a simple case of connecting to the TV with an HDMI lead.
My only advice with these leads is not to buy the cheapest.
Sorry can't help with the sound system connections.
Good luck and enjoy your new TV.

yoda

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
With regards the PS4, this should be a simple case of connecting to the TV with an HDMI lead.
My only advice with these leads is not to buy the cheapest.
Sorry can't help with the sound system connections.
Good luck and enjoy your new TV.

Yes I have got the PlayStation working with no problems, i should have stated that above. I am not sure if I can run another cable from from the spare TV box HDMI port to the surround sound? Or will that even work? Is there such a thing of some type of splitter cable? Or maybe there is some type of cable i can buy to run from the play station to the surround sound that also splits to the TV hdmi port also?
I am also wondering because it's a newer TV maybe the ports on the surround sound won't suit those newer TVs because of the higher grade cables needed?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
The sound bar that I have connected to the TV, both Samsung, is via the optical input on the TV.
Have you been to Samsung's website?
There are often good links and information in their help section, or there used to be.
Keep us posted.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom