Am I the only one?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Who doesn't give a **** about all these recent celebrity deaths?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't wish death on anyone, and I think it's awful that the most recent two (Victoria Wood, and Prince) died relatively young. BUT.......people die. Everyone dies eventually. I don't get the entire day/night dedicated to talking about them on the Radio. Fair do's if they had been global statesmen like Mandela or artists who had genuinely changed the world, like the Beatles or Elvis, but one was a comedian, who wasn't funny, and the other a bloke who had a few half decent songs nearly 20 years ago. By all means run a programme discussing their lives and their contributions to society etc, but do we really need blanket media coverage for an entire day!?

People die, it's a passing story, a footnote at the end of the news, not the ****ing second coming!

Am I just a heartless ****!?

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I know what you mean, when Lady Di died I thought it was ridiculous that people who had never even met her said they were grieving. I thought it was laughable. But a few years ago Frank Sidebottom (with the big head) died. I had seen Frank live many times and loved his comedy, I felt really sad for days. He died in his fifties too. I think if the artist meant something to you growing up maybe you feel that part of your past died or something. Rolling news is awful, they had six pictures of Prince on a loop and were just repeating the same thing over again. They should mention it with respect but theres no need for hour by hour blanket coverage.

yoda

Sith Lord
I can also see what you mean. It's a shame that happened the guy but he had a good life I hope he was happy. But I have had to change the radio station because I want a change from listening to his songs being continously played.
It's a shame when that happens anyone but the media is a very powerful tool. I wish sometimes they focused more energy into the children and people who are starving in poverty stricken countrys. We don't realise how lucky we all are that have even something as simple as clean water and don't have to walk for miles to a well. And also all the consistent fighting in wars around the world in which I can't see no end to unless they sit down and talk.
There's an old saying an eye for an eye only leads to blindness for everyone.

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
By the way weasel, weren't you the one running that dead pool? You should be happy people are keeping you updated!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Capetown said:
You're just dead inside Weasel. :lol:

This could be true!

Capetown said:
By the way weasel, weren't you the one running that dead pool? You should be happy people are keeping you updated!

Must resurrect that thread now. Now doubt my three picks are all still alive! :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It depends who it is. I'll be gutted when the likes of Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill die, I've never met either of them but they have been a huge part of my life. The same goes for musicians with some people I guess. I was choked when Kurt Cobain killed himself, as I was one of the small percentage of people that liked Nirvana before he died :lol:

I was also gutted when Neil Armstrong died, a life long hero of mine :(

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, that's kinda my point. Kurt Cobain, and Nirvana, did change music for a few years. Ok, maybe it was mainly after his death, but the fact still remains he was a music icon. Prince....not even close to the same ball park.

Again with Armstrong he did something only a handful people who have ever lived have done. I would fully understand a day dedicated to his memory.

Hamill and Ford were both part of one of the biggest movie franchises of all time, although i'd say a category down from Armstrong.

I just don't get why ANY "celebrity" death seems to attract 24 hours of non stop media attention and sychophantic comments from all and sundry.
Maybe my gripe is more with modern media and the obession with celebrity/the need to fill news channels/and the apparent 30 second attention span of the general public.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
If you think the hype around Prince dying is bad, wait til everyone is crying when Kanye West and LMFAO die in a few decades :lol:

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Popular culture icons from people's childhood or young life are now dying. I think this causes people to question their own mortality. Take Paul Daniels for example. He would have been a large part of everyone's childhood. Now he's gone you realise that for some of us over half our life is gone. Stupid really, as people die everyday but unless it affects you directly for most people death happens to someone else. These celebs are people that everybody knows, without actually knowing them.

itfciain

Grand Master
Mr-shifter said:
Popular culture icons from people's childhood or young life are now dying. I think this causes people to question their own mortality. Take Paul Daniels for example. He would have been a large part of everyone's childhood. Now he's gone you realise that for some of us over half our life is gone. Stupid really, as people die everyday but unless it affects you directly for most people death happens to someone else. These celebs are people that everybody knows, without actually knowing them.

Jesus wept Ben - most of us come on here to talk about toys and relive our childhood - "half our life is gone" God, what a morbid thought :(

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
itfciain said:
Jesus wept Ben - most of us come on here to talk about toys and relive our childhood - "half our life is gone" God, what a morbid thought :(

Agreed but it's important for people to remember that life needs to be lived, you never know when it's going to happen to you. Poor old Craig didn't have half of his life left :(

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I get that we all have a variety of tastes in music and that Prince really wasn't a lot of people's taste at all. Challenging some may say, odd most would say, but to suggest that Prince was merely "a bloke who had a few half decent songs nearly 20 years ago" is a very strange statement IMO, so I hope you don't mind me chipping in:

Prince, in a very similar way to The Beatles and Elvis (or more correctly in both their cases, their management and producers), changed, some may say revolutionised, the musical landscape over a c20+ year period.

He did indeed (unlike the Beatles and Elvis of course) only have a handful of big hits, he also only had one UK number one (should've had two but the Batman single actually sold out before it could hit a potential number one that year due to poor forecasting by the label, by the time they repressed it (two weeks later) the moment had passed), but there is very little music in the last 20 years that has been created across Rock, Pop, Funk, Soul, Blues, Jazz that has not in some way paid tribute or been influenced by what he did and how he worked. Not just my opinion, there are very few if any artists that would not note him in their playlists or as an inspiration.

Prince, like George Martin re-wrote music producing for his generation, he also rewrote the book on how songs are written and how bands and artists are managed and even (through some inspired madness an ridiculous name changing antics) he changed the ownership of rights for not only musicians, but artists across all media from music, to film, graphic design and two dimensional art... no one else stood tall at a time that the big corporations held a tight leash and as a result pretty much drew an end to his own high profile career through his broader actions.

He broke the rules on decency; some may suggest a bad point, but in doing so, allowed artists to speak more freely and use real language to both engage their listeners as well as reflect the true sound of the people.

He bridged a political and racial mess that was in meltdown across America in the late 1970's (this was a time that there was still a clear black radio network and a white radio network, as well as separate charts) and became the first true crossover artist. He did this in his late teens/early twenties. Unlike the Beatles before him, who charted and played only on white charts/radio, he covered both platforms equally. The Beatles are in retrospect now well-known and documented for essentially copying (some would say ripping off) the likes of Buddy Guy and Chuck Berry, before finally acknowledging them as influences long after they had made their fortunes. He didn't, Prince noted the likes of Chet Baker, Chuck Berry and Miles Davis on sleeve notes and at live shows from the start.

He pioneered music sharing, free music, digital music and music downloads both on his own network and in partnership with fledgling sites of this nature, long before iTunes and the like made it a big bucks business.

It's probably worth noting that he still holds the record(s) for highest attendance at live shows (multiple shows at one venue, not one individual show) worldwide and in the UK, so despite "a bloke who had a few half decent songs nearly 20 years ago", he was quite liked.. not just in his 'prime' either. The last record was set at the sell-out O2 set of 21 dates in 2007...

He moulded and created a series of artists in their own right, The Time, The Bangles, Vanity 6, Nona Gaye, Candy Dulfer, Shelia E, Carmen Electra, Rosie Gaines, Sheena Easton, Wendy & Lisa; again long before the likes of Psyco records, Stock Aitken and Waterman and Louis Walsh's boy-band production lines of pop stars. His songs also launched the careers of a variety of artists worldwide including Sinead O'Connor as well as writing songs specifically for Chaka Chan, Madonna, Patti La Belle and Kate Bush to name four reasonably well known artists.

Alongside these 'names' (depending on your US based music knowledge/taste), he built a state of the art studio and rehearsal complex that once again set a new standard for the era/generation in both technical equipment and how it was used. He definitely used it too.. it's said he could play (pending sources or if you can name that many) 27 different instruments to the highest graded standard and was known in the early days to play every instrument on his recordings as well as manning the recording booth, mixing desk and then completing post production.

The rehearsal set/sound stage he built was a permanent place to build and practice every live show for himself and a vast array of his own and others acts.. many of which have gone down in history as the most spectacular and crisp shows to have been seen. Nothing like this complex existed worldwide in the music world before his vision became reality.

Worth noting that Prince's career (as in chart topping around the world) spanned in excess of 30 years. The last (most recent) 8-9 years I'm not counting as any chart success or large venue sell outs are really not mainstream popular, so 1977- 2007 seems a fair cut-off.

I cannot think of another person who single handed has had such an impact to shift the creative landscape in the modern era (oddly, given this forum) outside of maybe George Lucas and his creation of Lucasfilm, ILM, THX etc.

Yes, I'm a fan and yes, I wrote my University Thesis on his life, works and influence on the modern music scene.. :lol:

Yep, Nirvana did play a part in a music scene that for a short period changed a part of the rock and possibly pop music scene, Prince on the other hand has left a true legacy.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
I had a bit of a rant about this with my wife last night when the girl on the radio asked for people to phone in and explain how they were "coping" after the death of Prince, coping - WTF!!!!! I'm sorry but words like that are reserved for family and friends not celebs.

grinchy

Sith Lord
I think prince was a legend, and deserves the praise he got and is getting, we can't all like the same things in life though, so I accept others might be a bit sick of hearing about it.

Bootyhunter

Jedi Master
SAVORY100 said:
I get that we all have a variety of tastes in music and that Prince really wasn't a lot of people's taste at all. Challenging some may say, odd most would say, but to suggest that Prince was merely "a bloke who had a few half decent songs nearly 20 years ago" is a very strange statement IMO, so I hope you don't mind me chipping in:

Prince, in a very similar way to The Beatles and Elvis (or more correctly in both their cases, their management and producers), changed, some may say revolutionised, the musical landscape over a c20+ year period.

He did indeed (unlike the Beatles and Elvis of course) only have a handful of big hits, he also only had one UK number one (should've had two but the Batman single actually sold out before it could hit a potential number one that year due to poor forecasting by the label, by the time they repressed it (two weeks later) the moment had passed), but there is very little music in the last 20 years that has been created across Rock, Pop, Funk, Soul, Blues, Jazz that has not in some way paid tribute or been influenced by what he did and how he worked. Not just my opinion, there are very few if any artists that would not note him in their playlists or as an inspiration.

Prince, like George Martin re-wrote music producing for his generation, he also rewrote the book on how songs are written and how bands and artists are managed and even (through some inspired madness an ridiculous name changing antics) he changed the ownership of rights for not only musicians, but artists across all media from music, to film, graphic design and two dimensional art... no one else stood tall at a time that the big corporations held a tight leash and as a result pretty much drew an end to his own high profile career through his broader actions.

He broke the rules on decency; some may suggest a bad point, but in doing so, allowed artists to speak more freely and use real language to both engage their listeners as well as reflect the true sound of the people.

He bridged a political and racial mess that was in meltdown across America in the late 1970's (this was a time that there was still a clear black radio network and a white radio network, as well as separate charts) and became the first true crossover artist. He did this in his late teens/early twenties. Unlike the Beatles before him, who charted and played only on white charts/radio, he covered both platforms equally. The Beatles are in retrospect now well-known and documented for essentially copying (some would say ripping off) the likes of Buddy Guy and Chuck Berry, before finally acknowledging them as influences long after they had made their fortunes. He didn't, Prince noted the likes of Chet Baker, Chuck Berry and Miles Davis on sleeve notes and at live shows from the start.

He pioneered music sharing, free music, digital music and music downloads both on his own network and in partnership with fledgling sites of this nature, long before iTunes and the like made it a big bucks business.

It's probably worth noting that he still holds the record(s) for highest attendance at live shows (multiple shows at one venue, not one individual show) worldwide and in the UK, so despite "a bloke who had a few half decent songs nearly 20 years ago", he was quite liked.. not just in his 'prime' either. The last record was set at the sell-out O2 set of 21 dates in 2007...

He moulded and created a series of artists in their own right, The Time, The Bangles, Vanity 6, Nona Gaye, Candy Dulfer, Shelia E, Carmen Electra, Rosie Gaines, Sheena Easton, Wendy & Lisa; again long before the likes of Psyco records, Stock Aitken and Waterman and Louis Walsh's boy-band production lines of pop stars. His songs also launched the careers of a variety of artists worldwide including Sinead O'Connor as well as writing songs specifically for Chaka Chan, Madonna, Patti La Belle and Kate Bush to name four reasonably well known artists.

Alongside these 'names' (depending on your US based music knowledge/taste), he built a state of the art studio and rehearsal complex that once again set a new standard for the era/generation in both technical equipment and how it was used. He definitely used it too.. it's said he could play (pending sources or if you can name that many) 27 different instruments to the highest graded standard and was known in the early days to play every instrument on his recordings as well as manning the recording booth, mixing desk and then completing post production.

The rehearsal set/sound stage he built was a permanent place to build and practice every live show for himself and a vast array of his own and others acts.. many of which have gone down in history as the most spectacular and crisp shows to have been seen. Nothing like this complex existed worldwide in the music world before his vision became reality.

Worth noting that Prince's career (as in chart topping around the world) spanned in excess of 30 years. The last (most recent) 8-9 years I'm not counting as any chart success or large venue sell outs are really not mainstream popular, so 1977- 2007 seems a fair cut-off.

I cannot think of another person who single handed has had such an impact to shift the creative landscape in the modern era (oddly, given this forum) outside of maybe George Lucas and his creation of Lucasfilm, ILM, THX etc.

Yes, I'm a fan and yes, I wrote my University Thesis on his life, works and influence on the modern music scene.. :lol:

Yep, Nirvana did play a part in a music scene that for a short period changed a part of the rock and possibly pop music scene, Prince on the other hand has left a true legacy.

I was never a fan of Prince but I am a big music fan (club dj for 15 years,played in a band,radio show etc etc) so I can appreciate the talent the guy had.
Credit where credit is due I say.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Bootyhunter said:
I was never a fan of Prince but I am a big music fan (club dj for 15 years,played in a band,radio show etc etc) so I can appreciate the talent the guy had.
Credit where credit is due I say.

Agreed... Though I must add that I do get Weasel's core point too to be fair, celebrating/mourning every (often minor) celeb does grow somewhat tedious as well as undermine and eventually water down some of the bigger brighter stars more deserved exposure.

Radio show? what? where? My father was a DJ in the midlands for a long time...

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
The point that people deal with death in a fairly desensitised way until it's someone close to you passes , but celebreties that everyone know and relate to and are part of their formative years, then you react in a different way. Especially when they die young.
It does to a degree make you question your own mortality.

For me it does spur you on to make a difference with the life you have, be that giving to charity, be that giving your time for others, trying really, even in a little way just to raise a smile in others. Yes you may get taken advantage of on occasion, but in the main you get more out of life.

I'm not being a goody two shoes, this is just my own way of thinking, and I would never force opinions on others.

We live a life with all that brings,
But a brief moment in the grand scheme of things,
But in that time are we not duty bound,
To make a difference, wherever an opportunity is found,
No need for grand gestures, or to feed an ego,
It doesn't matter if only you know,
That a smile is raised on a brow in furrow,
A spirit is lifted of one that's low,
Is a raindrop insignificant , as it is so small,
Or together as a shower they simply fall,
To fill the rivers, and all the seas,
That then in turn new life it frees,
So take a breath every now and then,
Make a difference, be a man among men,
Life it passes us by so fast,
Do it now, nail your colours to the mast,
To give of yourself with nothing to gain,
Will give a glow that will always remain.

Right, now I'll get me coat :?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom