Advice re. collecting vintage vehicles and playsets

ROTF7784

Padawan
I haven't posted in a long time (last time I was wondering about the value of my collection from the 70s/80s). Since then I've passed it on to my 5yr old who is now obsessed with them! It's also nice to see how respectfully he plays with them (like all his toys), so they're not getting senselessly bashed around.

I've actually decided to go back to collecting and pick up some of the ships and playstations I had as a child but sold on as a teenager. Things like the snow speeder, etc (I regret selling my Cantina playset and droid factory, but not looking to replace).

I wanted to ask for some advice people here on tips for the best way to collect figures and ships from the vintage range. Is Ebay the best place? Car boot sales? If Ebay, besides the obvious (checking for moving parts, sticker damage, etc.) any other good tips to ensure I don't overpay for items and that I find good quality stuff?

Any advice appreciated!

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Patience is the key. There are plenty around, so don't panic buy. Research prices first, so you have a ballpark idea of what to pay.

It's quite quiet on here these days, regarding sales, but things do turn up from time to time. It's worth starting a thread in the wanted section. Facebook (usually expensive) and Ebay are probably the way to go. Also auctions such as Vectis, C&T and East Bristol are worth a look.

Events such as Echo Live and Farthest From are very good and I'm certain you'd be able to find most of what you want in one go there! Local toy fairs are also worth a look.

ROTF7784

Padawan
Patience is the key. There are plenty around, so don't panic buy. Research prices first, so you have a ballpark idea of what to pay.

It's quite quiet on here these days, regarding sales, but things do turn up from time to time. It's worth starting a thread in the wanted section. Facebook (usually expensive) and Ebay are probably the way to go. Also auctions such as Vectis, C&T and East Bristol are worth a look.

Events such as Echo Live and Farthest From are very good and I'm certain you'd be able to find most of what you want in one go there! Local toy fairs are also worth a look.
Thanks for the tips! I'll check out Echo Live and Farthest From, I've not heard of them but thought there'd be a good toy fair to visit. I already managed to get a decent priced Millenium Falcon and clean up the battery points so that it works with lights and sounds. I'd like to get the Ewok Village and then the plan is to get my son some new shelving and dedicate each shelf to a particular planet or location where he can play for hours.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks for the tips! I'll check out Echo Live and Farthest From, I've not heard of them but thought there'd be a good toy fair to visit. I already managed to get a decent priced Millenium Falcon and clean up the battery points so that it works with lights and sounds. I'd like to get the Ewok Village and then the plan is to get my son some new shelving and dedicate each shelf to a particular planet or location where he can play for hours.
A different shelf for each planet sounds great, looking forward to seeing some pictures.
To add to @Cazza response above I would always suggest buying complete figures with weapons as this usually works out cheaper in the long run rather than buying weapons later.
Also beware of repro accessories (if this bothers you) especially from eBay.
Always ask if the accessories are genuine vintage and then check https://www.variantvillain.com/ to confirm that they are.
Good luck with the new found intrest and don't forget to have fun with it.😀

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom