Kenner ROTJ Rarity (oxymoron?)

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Guys,

I know the use of rarity is abused a little when discussing Star Wars- especially Kenner.

I am finding that some of the ROTJ Kenner figures far from easy to come by.

There are some figures that just don't seem to appear on certain cardbacks.

I'm finding this mostly on:

ROTJ 65back C (Emperor Offer)
ROTJ 79 Back
ROTJ 79 Back (Anakin Sticker)
ROTJ 79 back (Anakin Offer)

On some of these I cannot find examples- am I missing something?

One reason I ask is because I have just picked a 65C TFP. I have seen pictures of these but have only seen less than 5 turn up for sale in 2 years.

What about the 12 backs turning up on these cardbacks?

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah- thanks Andy- making a bit more sense- keep forgetting to use that book.

Kellerman says there's no TFP 65C. But there is. :? I've seen pictures of it in other 65C runs. :?

Unless- I have got a 65C wrong? :?

To me its Emperor Offer in the corner. :?

There seems to be a massive lack of 79 B+C's on the market as well. (except Paploo and Lumat)

There's buddle's of 48, 65 and 77 in comparison.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
There certainly seems to less ROTJ Moc's about than their used to be.

The Paploo and Lumat are quit common as they were released on the 79 back card as I'm sure your aware.

That's all I no.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Seems like they were the only ones released on 79C.

If that's true then no wonder I can't find others.

spoons

Grand Master
79 backs are quite rare for a lot of the earlier characters (ESB)- seem to be Austalia only releases

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Grant other than the Kellerman book (which I don't own) is there anywhere with info on how to identify each cardback, i.e 65a, 65b etc. Does it say anywhere on the card itself or is it just down to the artwork/toys advertised on the back and the offers? I'm interested because I collect ROTJ mocs and also I may have some examples you're talking about.

Joe

Grand Master
Grant_C said:
Seems like they were the only ones released on 79C.

If that's true then no wonder I can't find others.

Yeah I think the only 79C's that exist (printed Anakin offer) are Paploo and Lumat. The only way to get those figures offerless is the Canadian (77back?) version.

For every other US ROTJ figure, both 79A+B backs should exist (in theory) but it seems that many 79A's were quickly given the Anakin offer stickers (turning them into 79B's) so offerless versions are really hard to find.

As spoons said, some of the offerless stock that wasn't given the offer stickers turned up in Australia (and Europe). I think at least a dozen or so 79A's that were previously unaccounted for came from Australian sources.

spoons

Grand Master
Robstyley said:
Grant other than the Kellerman book (which I don't own) is there anywhere with info on how to identify each cardback, i.e 65a, 65b etc. Does it say anywhere on the card itself or is it just down to the artwork/toys advertised on the back and the offers? I'm interested because I collect ROTJ mocs and also I may have some examples you're talking about.

Hi Rob - the matrices are all on line and relatively up to date

http://www.rebelscum.com/kellerman.asp

But admittedly the numbers may not make sense without the book :oops:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Don't think Paploo or Lumat came on any 77 backs, although the offer is different on the 79 back Canadian cards.

I've always used this guide, but not sure if it has been updated for many years.

http://www.theswca.com

Joe

Grand Master
Grant_C said:
Do you think there's more 79A than B?

I honestly don't know. I guess if I had to choose (and just based on my personal experience) I would say there are more B's than A's out there but I haven't searched for examples of both for every single ROTJ figure.

When I collected my US ROTJ's, the 79A was one of the last ones I needed. Both the 77+79B's were super common in comparison and even the 77A used to turn up quite a bit.

Even now, it's very unlikely you will find a 79A 8D8 from the states, they only ever seem to appear on ebay UK or ebay Aus.

110.jpg

I kind of miss having them around :lol:

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Hi Grant.

Have you read the "Rarity" threads started by Jason West over on RS?

Their are lists of what figure is confirmed on what cardback and a wealth of information on Rarities.

The Majority are here (scroll down) - http://forum.rebelscum.com/search.php?searchid=403339

They are great! :)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Don't think Paploo or Lumat came on any 77 backs, although the offer is different on the 79 back Canadian cards.

I was wrong, bringing this thread back from the past, but thought this was worth putting on. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xstar+wars+paploo+77+back.TRS0&_nkw=star+wars+paploo+77+back&_sacat=0

sith-smith

Grand Master
Was there a Kenner ROTJ figure...I think is was the HST...which no one knew for sure existed then someone up in Manchester found one? Sold it for quite a bit I believe.

Then another was found

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
You need to take any figure matrix or stats with a pinch of salt, they're useful to know what has been proven to exist but there are very few 'facts' around (eg documentation) regarding what was actually produced. If a major vehicle like the tri-logo Y-Wing fighter can turn up out of the blue, it wouldn't surprise me if a tri-logo Power Droid turned up one day (not the miscard :D )

I had a good debate about this with someone on Facebook recently, one of the big bollocks collectors told me it was literally 'impossible' that any new character vacuum-packed Canadian ESB figures could exist because 'he had talked to a marketing manager at Kenner.' Christ I can't remember what I did at work last week, let alone 35 years ago! :lol:

spoons

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
You need to take any figure matrix or stats with a pinch of salt, they're useful to know what has been proven to exist but there are very few 'facts' around (eg documentation) regarding what was actually produced. If a major vehicle like the tri-logo Y-Wing fighter can turn up out of the blue, it wouldn't surprise me if a tri-logo Power Droid turned up one day (not the miscard :D )

I had a good debate about this with someone on Facebook recently, one of the big bollocks collectors told me it was literally 'impossible' that any new character vacuum-packed Canadian ESB figures could exist because 'he had talked to a marketing manager at Kenner.' Christ I can't remember what I did at work last week, let alone 35 years ago! :lol:

:lol:

Don't diss the Big Bollocks Collectors - they are all knowing....

I wonder if it was the same BBC who thinks that all bar two of the members of SWFUK know nothing and that the Toy Toni scandal was made up :roll:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom