Earliest Vintage SW Memories

BikerScout74

Padawan
Apologies if this topic has been posted before (probably has!), but I was just wondering what the earliest memories that people here have on collecting SW figures as a kid. From my very vague memory, I think my first carded figure was an Empire Hoth Luke.
I also remember my mother bringing me back a Millennium Falcon from Hamley's after a trip to London in 82 or 83'.
One of my worst memories was when my Lando Skiff Guard was confiscated by my teacher after she caught me playing with it in Class! :lol:
That one and Princess Leia Organa (Boushh Disguise) were my absolute favourite figures as a kid since they were the first to have removable helmets.

subzero

Sith Lord
The absolute very first memory I can think of is playing with my older brother's Millennium Falcon when I was about 4, I used to get my MOTU Orko figure and hide him inside the space between the two mandibles. I never had any SW toys bought for me because we all just played with our older brother's ones as there was quite a lot of them which became communal family toys.

But I clearly remember my brother coming home with my dad one day when I was about the same age, 4, he came in with two carded figures and I remember being a little excited watching him open them, I can't for the life of me though remember what figures they were. :cry:

TK-7785

Jedi Master
I'm sure it has been discussed before, but I never tire of nostalgic memories. This is what it's all about.

I remember my first figure was a Sensorscope R2. I got one because my older brother got one, in that classic way parents had to placate one sibling when the other got a present. Even though I was too young to appreciate what it was at the time I loved it and still ave it. But in the coming years I remember getting an AT-ST driver on Trilogo card. The rest of my childhood figures were my brother's hand me downs and playground acquired trades. But I have some very clear and fond memories of playing with my neighbour's kid's collection as a wee nipper. The toys he had that really grabbed me were the AT-ST, Ewok Village, Rebel Commando and Luke X-Wing. I just thought they were the coolest thing ever. And that's where it all started for me.

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
I was 8 when I first saw Star Wars, I do believe it was the ITV premiere in 1982. At the time I had no idea there was a sequel or even a third part. I was so blown away by it. It helped my Dad was a huge Sci-Fi fan and I suspect he'd seen it at the cinema already - I still can't believe I never asked him!!!???

My first figure was Han Solo (big head) - my Dad took us into town very 3 weeks to go to the library and to spend our pocket money. I went to the Mecca that was Trents in Swindon.

I adored that figure but my favourite piece was the read along Star Wars tape and book set. I wore that out if I remember rightly.

Another favourite memory was how I discovered Father Christmas didn't exist. It was Xmas eve and quite late at night when I heard the front door open. I looked out the window to see my Dad wander over the road to a neighbours house. A minute or two later he returned with a Falcon and AT-AT . Merry Xmas :D

MightyMike

Padawan
Mine was receiving the Death Star Droid and Han Solo from Father Christmas. I had no idea what they were and my mum had to explain to me that all the kids were playing with Star Wars (I'm just as uncool now)

Still got both - even though Han had one floppy leg and the DSD could hardly stand up!

lejackal

Grand Master
This is mine, Xmas 85 and a Trilogo R2 and Threepio (apologies to those that have seen this dozens of times, many other collectors pics from the eighties can be found on Joe's fantastic site)

Attachments

• xmas '85.PNG
    xmas '85.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,761

stu70

Padawan
Being bought a Darth Vader and Stormtrooper figure from Zodiac Toys in early 1978, when I was 7, I was also lucky enough to see Star Wars at the Odeon in Leicester Square shortly after it was released as a treat on a trip to London. I think we also went to Madame Tussauds and had a trip on a open top double decker bus sightseeing tour, probably still had change from a tenner back then. :)

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
I don't remember who my first figure was but I remember my older brother had some before I did, and I had seen Star Wars at the cinema, (likely on a re-release as I was only 1 in 1977), and I was interested in the toys because of that. I definitely had a stormtrooper early on in my Star Wars toy collection and remember seeing Empire at the cinema upon its release, by which point I was well on my way to loving it :D

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
I also remember going to the cinema to see SW on its UK release. Well, I don't so much remember seeing it as coming out of the cinema afterwards! I think I'm pretty sure the reason I remember coming out of the cinema is because I was just amazed at what I'd seen. It also wasn't our usual cinema, so that sticks in my memory too and it's how I know that was when we saw Star Wars.

My earliest merchandise memories are the Darth Vader mask (Ben Cooper? The one with the white around the eyes) and playing with my Darth Vader figure when my parents took us for a picnic!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
My first memory of Star Wars is quite vivid as it was during a major event in my life. In 1984 I had kidney failure. While I was in hospital, my older cousin bought me a couple of toys - a Han Hoth and a Speeder Bike (odd combination with hindsight!) I don't think I had seen any of the films before that.

A reason I remember this and exactly when it happened is because my favourite song at the time was "Wild Boys" by Duran Duran, and it was often on TV incluiding while I was in hospital :)

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Love these nostalgia threads.

One of my earliest memories is going to the local mini-market and seeing the Waddingtons SW puzzles on the shelf.
That and collecting the Topps cards (I can still smell that sickly bubblegum).
Buying Star Wars Weekly comic was also a big early memory. I can still remember the excitement of seeing the TV ad for it.

Pretty sure the first time I saw footage from the film was a clip on Michael Rodd's Screen Test.
Strangely, I have no vivid memories of seeing SW at the cinema. It must have been in the Feb/March '78.
Just remember the feeling of being totally awestruck (which has lasted into my very late forties :D ).

Luckily, the poster and program which was bought for me at the screening have survived.
Keep meaning to restore the poster as it's literally falling apart.
I must have picked up the Palitoy catalogue at roughly the same time.

Attachments

• program1.jpg
    program1.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,670
  • factors.jpg
    factors.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 1,669

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
I also remember Darth Vader being at Debenhams when Jedi came out. The card that he signed was in my collection for years but has managed to "disappear" after I moved out from my parents'. On the day I managed to talk my Mum into buying me an Admiral Ackbar figure as well :D

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I only have three real Star Wars memories that I can vividly recall.

One was walking down the aisle of the brand new Tesco's in Colchester not long after I saw the movie for the first time on tv in 1982. I was almost as much in awe of the size of the supermarket as I was about the rows of floor to roof shelves of Star Wars' Toys. I was hunting for a Christmas present and I remember settling on Darth Vader's Tie Fighter.

My second memory was when we were allowed to bring our favourite toys into school on the last day of term in July 1984. I remember the teacher that allowed it which enables me to date it. I can't remember what I took but my mate brought in the Dagobah playset and I remember thinking it was the coolest toy ever. I so wanted one of those.

My last memory was receiving two Gamorrean Guards for Christmas in 1984 and having a dilemma as whether to return one or keep both. I can work out the year as Star Wars was on at Christmas. I decided to keep it and it was my only army builder figure I had more than 1 of :lol:

I do have a photo of me one Christmas opening presents including the Falcon and the Imperial Troop Transporter but I've misplaced it and I'm gutted.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
My first memory of Star Wars is quite vivid as it was during a major event in my life. In 1984 I had kidney failure. While I was in hospital, my older cousin bought me a couple of toys - a Han Hoth and a Speeder Bike (odd combination with hindsight!) I don't think I had seen any of the films before that.

A reason I remember this and exactly when it happened is because my favourite song at the time was "Wild Boys" by Duran Duran, and it was often on TV incluiding while I was in hospital :)

This is funny, I've thought recently could I sell an organ to fund vintage Star Wars? :lol:

Joking aside kidney faileure must have been a very hard thing to go through at such a young age. :|

subzero

Sith Lord
If we're not strictly talking about the toys, I also remember my earliest memory of watching Star Wars on telly at about 4 or 5 years old. I very clearly remember playing in the hallway in our flat and my dad calling me from the living room telling me SW was starting, I remember running into the living room to sit down and watch it and remember seeing the opening crawl in excitement, that's the only bit I remember and I can't remember if it was being played on VHS or it if was broadcast on TV, or even which of the 3 films it was.

I have a feeling though I may have even watched one of them even earlier than that, as I remember clearly knowing what I was about to watch like as if it was familiar.

BikerScout74

Padawan
Speaking of Star Wars on the TV and home video, I'm pretty sure it was the one of the first, if not the first thing i ever so on a video cassette. I think it came out on video in 82 and then on TV in 1984 if I'm not mistaken. And I definitely saw ROTJ before ESB! LOL! Seeing and listening to that CBS Home Video Logo and jingle at the beginning of the home video release of ESB, transports me back in time to my childhood !

Taffius

Sith Lord
I think it was ROTJ in my local cinema. Cannot remember A New Hope or ESB.
Figures wise, I have clear memories of only 3. Darth Vader, Emporer Royal Guard and Biker Scout. All picked for being baddies and cool.
Biker scout doubled as a Stormtrooper when playing. What I used for rebels I aint got a clue...probably Britains soliders. :lol:

coomber75

Sith Lord
chads in hereford on a saturday picking up a figure... not sure which.. tyen watching SW on tv with my grandad would have been about 1982

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
First SW memory was a friend of the family offering to take my sisters and I to the cinema to see it- Mum said no, as she thought I was too little.

I remember being in Reception year at school and my friend bringing in some Palitoy 12-bk cardbacks. Also remember the bubble gum cards being swapped in the playground and my friends giving me their doubles. I remember begging my Mum to let me get a pack from the newsagent.

First thing I owned was either a Gamester magazine, given to me by my auntie, or a Palitoy Tusken Raider mask, that I was given at my friend's party. Would've been 1978-9 so I was 5 or 6.

First figures were on my seventh birthday. I remember queuing at the checkout at Argos on Swindon for my X-wing and then choosing 2 figures in Zodiac Toys. Wasn't allowed Greedo or any of the aliens (too scary :roll: ), so chose Death Star Droid and R5, neither of which would fit inthe X-Wing. Still got them both. I remember being upset in the car on the way home, as the Death Star Droid's legs wouldn't move! Didn't realise they had to be 'cracked'.

Latest posts

Top Bottom