Toy of the year ?

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
In my opinion, keep it simple yes, but the Palitoy Death Star needs to be in the playsets list alongside the Kenner one, it's a great contender for top spot.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
AndyPreston said:
In my opinion, keep it simple yes, but the Palitoy Death Star needs to be in the playsets list alongside the Kenner one, it's a great contender for top spot.

Thanks, I will 100% do both death stars :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
I agree, I think it's a terrific idea! I always enjoy the figure of the year poll, so this is like making it 3 times bigger and better :-D

I seem to recall it also being mentioned at one point that having a cardback of the year poll might be interesting (I assume they meant favourite card front image, although we could also vote on our favourite backs of the cards as well). If one of those was to happen, I'd certainly take part.

Hi, should I split up the palitoy from the kenner items ? I was thinking the landspeeder ? and is there other vehicles that are different ?
It's up to you Lars, and everyone will have their own opinion. Mine is that for the vehicles, the Palitoy and Kenner variants of the Landspeeder, X-Wing and BD X-Wing genuinely are similar enough not to warrant separating them. The Imperial Cruiser and Imperial Troop Transporter however are very different (if perhaps rather dull in my opinion) variants on a theme, and probably should be separated, as they really aren't the same toy at all. The Glasslite TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor are probably also different enough to just about warrant separate entries, but I'm also far from convinced that enough people care about those differences to complain if you don't separate them (perhaps if one of those ships were to win, you could then run a final extra poll between the two versions to see which one is the ultimate winner?).

However, for the playset poll, I would always separate the Palitoy and the Kenner versions of the Cantina, Land of the Jawas and Droid Factory. The two Cantinas and two Land of the Jawas playsets literally share zero parts in common. A superficial look at them makes you think they are pretty much the same, but they simply aren't; I repeat, they share no parts in common with one another at all.

It's true that for the two Droid Factories, the actual droid parts and pieces are indeed identical across the Palitoy and Kenner versions, however the stickers (and hence also the 3-legged R2-D2 - the thing most people seem to want from the set), the bases, as well as the boxes, are completely different, so separating them can be justified.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I think this is a great idea. I really enjoy the forum figure of the year and I would love the card art variation on the theme too. If you're going to do this Lars, and I hope you do, i would suggest doing the toy one now or in the summer and not to close to Stu's as it will dilute the popularity of both.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
I think this is a great idea. I really enjoy the forum figure of the year and I would love the card art variation on the theme too. If you're going to do this Lars, and I hope you do, i would suggest doing the toy one now or in the summer and not to close to Stu's as it will dilute the popularity of both.

Thanks I hope that I will start with it next week, I think stuart will first do his in 2019 :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
I agree, I think it's a terrific idea! I always enjoy the figure of the year poll, so this is like making it 3 times bigger and better :-D

I seem to recall it also being mentioned at one point that having a cardback of the year poll might be interesting (I assume they meant favourite card front image, although we could also vote on our favourite backs of the cards as well). If one of those was to happen, I'd certainly take part.

Hi, should I split up the palitoy from the kenner items ? I was thinking the landspeeder ? and is there other vehicles that are different ?
It's up to you Lars, and everyone will have their own opinion. Mine is that for the vehicles, the Palitoy and Kenner variants of the Landspeeder, X-Wing and BD X-Wing genuinely are similar enough not to warrant separating them. The Imperial Cruiser and Imperial Troop Transporter however are very different (if perhaps rather dull in my opinion) variants on a theme, and probably should be separated, as they really aren't the same toy at all. The Glasslite TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor are probably also different enough to just about warrant separate entries, but I'm also far from convinced that enough people care about those differences to complain if you don't separate them (perhaps if one of those ships were to win, you could then run a final extra poll between the two versions to see which one is the ultimate winner?).

However, for the playset poll, I would always separate the Palitoy and the Kenner versions of the Cantina, Land of the Jawas and Droid Factory. The two Cantinas and two Land of the Jawas playsets literally share zero parts in common. A superficial look at them makes you think they are pretty much the same, but they simply aren't; I repeat, they share no parts in common with one another at all.

It's true that for the two Droid Factories, the actual droid parts and pieces are indeed identical across the Palitoy and Kenner versions, however the stickers (and hence also the 3-legged R2-D2 - the thing most people seem to want from the set), the bases, as well as the boxes, are completely different, so separating them can be justified.

Thanks mate for the advice, I am thinking and working on it at the moment :D

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Great shout mate, I get people asking to do one every year when the forum figure finishes and always say yes but never get round to it as the figure one takes some time. So for you to do it would be a great shout, will definitely support and I'm sure you'll get a good turnout across the forum. I always start forum figure on 1st January if you're looking to avoid dates.

As for cardbacks it's another minefield with foreign cardbacks, image changes etc. I wouldn't get involved in that but knock yourself out if you fancy it. :lol:

If you need anything just ask buddy. Only takes me several weeks to notice I have unread pms on here x x

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Stuart Skinner said:
Great shout mate, I get people asking to do one every year when the forum figure finishes and always say yes but never get round to it as the figure one takes some time. So for you to do it would be a great shout, will definitely support and I'm sure you'll get a good turnout across the forum. I always start forum figure on 1st January if you're looking to avoid dates.

As for cardbacks it's another minefield with foreign cardbacks, image changes etc. I wouldn't get involved in that but knock yourself out if you fancy it. :lol:

If you need anything just ask buddy. Only takes me several weeks to notice I have unread pms on here x x

Thanks stuart, I will first do the vehicle and if people like it then I will do the playset. I am not sure about cardbacks, I think it will be a huge job :?

and I can't wait for the next vote in january 2019, thanks for doing the figures :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
A little update :D

I will do a vote for vehicles and a vote for playsets in 2019 some time after the january vote for figures :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
A little update :D

I will do a vote for vehicles and a vote for playsets in 2019 some time after the january vote for figures :D
Thanks for the update, I look forward to taking part :)

Thanks too for organising this. It's very kind of you to take the time to do it.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I really hope that this as well supported as the figure poll, looking forward to it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom