12 Backs on a BUDGET discussion

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
First 12 for me were always a must and happy with First 12 on Mail away stand.

Since joining the forum I have forayed into baggies which I love, and gone down the route of reseals and sliced bubbles.

Have a mixture and recently Han and Chewie 20 backs which I love

So further down the line I will be deciding whether to go down the route of either:

Reseal/sliced bubble 20 backs

Reseal/sliced bubble 12 backs

What advice is there on this, from a cost perspective, as I have 2 20 backs already was thinking that was the best route, would it be more cost effective on the 12 backs or the 20 backs.

I have no interest in investment I would be doing purely for display for myself, and I kinda like the sliced bubble reseal route as I feel that this is saving vintage and I am completely happy with the items being vintage as the primary consideration ( not gradeability, value, " seen as correct" )

Would be interested in opinions ?

Palifan

Sith Lord
From my point of view I think resell are a great way to put together a budget run and there's some fun in finding nice examples along the way. The prices for these can vary quite a bit due to condition and if they're complete with footers and figures so it does depend on what condition you would be happy with and how much you want to spend. That said though some reseals can go for a low price at times depending on the time of day (you know how eBay can be).

As for 12's verses 20's there are certainly less 20's to get but a few that seem to command a higher price like power droid. You will probably see more 12's up for sale but as with the 20's there quite a few higher priced ones (and more of them), like Luke, Han, Leia, Ben, Darth and Chewie. Maybe as you have a couple of 20's already it might be the way to go if you want a complete run or you could get a mix of the easier to get 12's and 20's and then fill in the gaps as things appear. I'd say it's going to be a slow journey unless you have the funds for the higher priced ones as they appear but recently there has been some of both card back runs on eBay which should help with condition and cost at the moment and Drexler who used to be on this forum has been selling off his reseal collection he put together recently so there are some available right now or coming soon I'm sure. He's also had a few of the harder to get 30 backs up that have gone for a reasonable price recently.

Reseals do look fantastic on display and I love the fact that these toys were opened up once and played with and someone loved the packaging so much back in the late 70's that they kept them, I know I wish I had. I put together a nice Kenner first 12 moc run years ago but as soon as I had my first Palitoy reseal in my hands I sold them all and just concentrated on Palitoy reseals. The feeling of seeing that Palitoy logo again was so strong that I knew it was the run for me and I really enjoyed my time putting them together.

Best of luck with what you decide Mike but I think it's definitely worth moving forward with it in some way, I'm sure you won't have any regrets.

Ian

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks for the comprehensive response Ian, much appreciated.

I know what you mean on the Palitoys, I recently picked up a couple with sliced bubbles and nameplates missing, still have work to do on those.
The 20 back Chewie I have has a bubble that has come away as opposed to a sliced bubble, and that from memory was about £30 ( plus I put the figure and weapon into it).

Your quite right, it will be a long term collecting path for me as funds are not readily available, but that in itself is part of the challenge and the fun of the hunt ( I was absoloutely over the moon with the Chewie when it arrived, and still most days have a peep at it on displa. So it is a nice buzz) I collect with my son as well so there is a great Son Dad thing going on. My Grandson who is now 9 months old had an hour at a nursery today ( his mum stayed with him) but he went with a little SW back pack 8) I was really chuffed with that!

So I think the 20 back sliced bubble/reseal route will be the way to go, here's number one on the journey....

Thanks again for the feedback Ian , appreciate it

Attachments

• IMG_3094.JPG
    IMG_3094.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 934

Palifan

Sith Lord
I didn't realise you were after Kenner ones so there will be quite a few 20 backs to choose from and the prices will be better on these. I've no idea how often the Kenner ones come up but I'm sure there will be more available. I have a complete 12 back Kenner resealed run also which didn't cost to much and took me a few years to put together so it should be a fun run to do.

Best of luck with it and look forward to seeing your finds :D

Ian

jayums

Jedi Master
A few palitoy reseals sold on eBay last night - I wasn't watching that closely but han and chewie went for 150+ each and a stormtrooper went for under 100. Seemed pretty expensive to me, but then they looked in pretty good nick.

jayums

Jedi Master
Michael Sith said:
Yes will be Kenner, Palitoy carry too much of a premium. Patience and plenty of time is the key.

Yes, it's also laziness! I've seen quite a few sliced bubble palitoy cardbacks go for quite a lot less than that recently. Even with the figures on top. That said, they were nicely done and I think look great on display.

coomber75

Sith Lord
ive gone mix of reseal and sealed to get me there, both seem to display well good luck!!

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Looking to get into some Palitoy sliced/reseal action.
There's been a few 12 back examples on Ebay recently with a £300 BIN. Decent condition, some with footers.
I'm assuming these were way overpriced.

Not really sure what constitutes a reasonable price.
Would the £100 range be more of a realistic offer for these?

Palifan

Sith Lord
Twin30mm said:
Looking to get into some Palitoy sliced/reseal action.
There's been a few 12 back examples on Ebay recently with a £300 BIN. Decent condition, some with footers.
I'm assuming these were way overpriced.

Not really sure what constitutes a reasonable price.
Would the £100 range be more of a realistic offer for these?

It depends on the character with the £300 ones. The Luke and Obi Wan went for £250 a pop due to the quality and rarity of these figures but the C-3PO is more in the £130-£140 range to me as they come up often. Chewbacca in that condition would probably go for around £200 I would have thought but as both Leia and Hans bubbles are missing so much of their bubbles I think you're really just paying for the card back and figure so would expect those to be under the £100 mark.

It's all up to the seller though to decide what they're happy with on price. I have a few 12 back reseals to let go of but the condition on those isn't as good as these, are you looking for a nice set or thinking lower examples at a lower price are for you?

Ian

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Palifan said:
I have a few 12 back reseals to let go of but the condition on those isn't as good as these, are you looking for a nice set or thinking lower examples at a lower price are for you?

Thanks for the info Ian.
Willing to look at any condition examples TBH, but will more than likely start off with lower end items and ease my way in.
Probably try and track down a few of my childhood figures to kick off with (DSC, Vader, Stormtrooper).
Have you got any of those to let go? :D

Jon

Palifan

Sith Lord
Twin30mm said:
Palifan said:
I have a few 12 back reseals to let go of but the condition on those isn't as good as these, are you looking for a nice set or thinking lower examples at a lower price are for you?

Thanks for the info Ian.
Willing to look at any condition examples TBH, but will more than likely start off with lower end items and ease my way in.
Probably try and track down a few of my childhood figures to kick off with (DSC, Vader, Stormtrooper).

Jon

I do have a stormtrooper I could help you out with and maybe some others so send me a PM and I'll see what I can do for you Jon.

Ian

jayums

Jedi Master
Palifan said:
Twin30mm said:
Palifan said:

Thanks for the info Ian.

Jon

I do have a stormtrooper I could help you out with and maybe some others so send me a PM and I'll see what I can do for you Jon.

Ian

Would it be okay to PM you too Ian ? I'm going the reseal / recard route. I've picked up a few that I've been really pleased with and think they look great on display in acrylic.

Palifan

Sith Lord
jayums said:
Palifan said:
Twin30mm said:
Thanks for the info Ian.

Jon

Ian

Would it be okay to PM you too Ian ? I'm going the reseal / recard route. I've picked up a few that I've been really pleased with and think they look great on display in acrylic.

Sure thing, it depends on what condition you're after but there might be something for you I can help out with.

Ian

coomber75

Sith Lord
have my final few to get, resealed or other ... power droid, greedo, upgraded leia, will post some pics if what ive got, think tye reseals look ok as i save

Palifan

Sith Lord
coomber75 said:
have my final few to get, resealed or other ... power droid, greedo, upgraded leia, will post some pics if what ive got, think tye reseals look ok as i save

Looking forward to that :D

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom