So what did you think about Solo: A Star Wars Story ??? SPOILERS

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Cazza said:
Robstyley said:
Agree the Darth Maul bit was wrong, he couldn't have been there. He died when Anakin was 9, which was just before Han was born. How could he be there 20 years later? Er, no :?

Andy, it fits in perfectly with the timeline. He was put back together again on The Clone Wars, hence the metal legs. He also played a big roll in Rebels.

I remember he was put together in the clone wars, but I have not bought or seen season 3 of rebels yet. Is Maul in season 3 of rebels ? :?

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Cazza said:
Robstyley said:
Agree the Darth Maul bit was wrong, he couldn't have been there. He died when Anakin was 9, which was just before Han was born. How could he be there 20 years later? Er, no :?

Andy, it fits in perfectly with the timeline. He was put back together again on The Clone Wars, hence the metal legs. He also played a big roll in Rebels.

Put back together?! After being chopped clean in half and falling a thousand feet down a big hole? :lol: Bollocks. There's no coming back from that. I haven't seen Clone Wars or Rebels but just because he's appeared in an animation it doesn't mean he can come back from the dead in Solo. What's next? Old Hans not dead?

03830801-B8D5-46BC-89F3-7CD99BD00165.jpeg

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Why's this impossible, lieutenant dan got new legs in Forest Gump and he wasn't even a Smith Lord! I don't think a cartoon is any more or less realistic than a Star Wars film either. :)

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I think having your legs amputated at the knees is a bit different to being chopped clean in half!

I remember seeing a documentary where Lucas stated he deliberately did that to maul to make sure there was no way he could come back as he wanted palpatines story in the prequels to be about his ongoing quest to find new apprentices.

I also watched a YouTube video on the comic book adaptation of mauls survival and it was quite good. Basically he uses his hatred of obi wan to harness the dark side which sustains him long enough for him to be treated.

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Robstyley said:
Cazza said:
Robstyley said:

Put back together?! After being chopped clean in half and falling a thousand feet down a big hole? :lol: Bollocks. There's no coming back from that. I haven't seen Clone Wars or Rebels but just because he's appeared in an animation it doesn't mean he can come back from the dead in Solo. What's next? Old Hans not dead?

03830801-B8D5-46BC-89F3-7CD99BD00165.jpeg

Rob this is my thought's on it it appears to be quite a controversial issue with the maul timeline and fitting in with this movie. I have heard a few different explanations for it all different.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
From Starwars.com:

Thought dead, Darth Maul survived his injuries by focusing on his hatred of Obi-Wan Kenobi, the Jedi who cut him in half. His shattered body was dumped amid the refuse of the junk planet Lotho Minor, where the once deadly warrior fell into madness, staying alive on a diet of vermin. When found by his brother Savage Opress, Maul had no memory of who he was, rambled nonsensically, and had built hideous spider-like legs in place of his severed ones.

Opress brought Maul back to his homeworld of Dathomir, where the Nightsister Mother Talzin used dark magicks to restore the fallen Sith's mind and body. Maul reemerged, took Opress as his apprentice, and became obsessed with Kenobi. He and his brother began terrorizing worlds and allied with Death Watch, Black Sun, and the Pyke syndicate to form the Shadow Collective, a group which took over Mandalore. This led to Maul's battle with Death Watch leader Pre Vizsla, who he dispatched violently and without mercy to assume total control of the planet. Throughout this time, Maul dueled Obi-Wan Kenobi on numerous occasions, and in an act of pure hatred, killed Obi-Wan's former love, Duchess Satine Kryze. His revenge would prove double-edged, however, as the act created a dark side ripple sensed by his former Master, Darth Sidious. Sidious came to Mandalore where he declared the Zabrak brothers to be his rivals. The Sith Master killed Savage Opress and took Maul captive -- but not before joyfully torturing his old apprentice with Force lightning.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Lets remember Luke lost his hand and saber on Bespin, only for said saber to pop up in TFA. We all thought that was gone forever.

Personally i would have liked to see a Maul movie rather than this cameo. He has more right to a movie than that overrated Fett. Saying that, both would make good movies.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Dr_Ball_MD said:
2. It's not real.

It is real, just a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away......

You have to watch Clone Wars then you will all understand. :lol:

I'm sure Clone Wars was made under George Lucas so he would have said yeah he can still be alive. As long as they don't bring Mace Windu back with Luke Skywalker's hand sewn on, that would be getting silly.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Cazza said:
Darth Maul survived his injuries
Really!?? :lol: This is the bit I'm struggling with.

Sorry mate but I don't care if it came from Starwars.com, some other expanded universe thing or George Lucas himself, I'm not buying it. It's not a case of disliking a story choice (as many have expressed they do with aspects of these recent films), it's a simple case of ****ing physics, he could not survive that fall chopped in half! We shall just have to amicably disagree :)

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Cazza said:
His shattered body was dumped amid the refuse of the junk planet Lotho Minor, where the once deadly warrior fell into madness, staying alive on a diet of vermin.

How does that work then? Surely if he ate something it'd just flop straight out of the bit of space where his stomach used to be? It'd be like the best diet ever. :lol:

There's a whole universe out there, let the dead stay dead and give us something original ...

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Dr_Ball_MD said:
2. It's not real.

It is real, just a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away......

You have to watch Clone Wars then you will all understand. :lol:

I'm sure Clone Wars was made under George Lucas so he would have said yeah he can still be alive. As long as they don't bring Mace Windu back with Luke Skywalker's hand sewn on, that would be getting silly.

Haha yep, I was more aiming at the questions on how Maul survived.

I've done Clone Wars, Rebels and every novel and comic of the new canon. I'm going to include story mode of Battlefront II as well in that!

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I hated the idea of Maul coming back, even though he was my favourite thing in the prequels.

But his story arc in Clone Wars is some of my favourite Star Wars stuff. It's definitely worth checking out.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Solo was, for me, great on first view, as with all these new ones though you have to see it 2-3 times to really get in the groove. Seen it four times now and I think the third showing is when it really clicked and I felt I had seen and understood every thing in it. So, that makes it quicker and more digestible than TLJ (IMO) an incredibly complex and clever piece film if you can ever step past the irritation (or even hatred) for it not fitting the closed expectation that everyone seemed to have carried into it. I certainly didn't get to 'fall in love with' stage with TLJ until the 5th or 6th viewing.

I do temper this by saying that I do of course see flaws in TLJ, but then I see flaws in every single SW film ever made at a similar level with the exception of AOTC and ROTS that are both so hideously acted and directed I struggle to call them film making... but they're Star Wars so they still count, but maybe only get watched when I'm drunk or VERY bored!

anyway elongated context in place, back to my blisteringly swift Solo review...

A rollercoaster ride from teen to adulthood; true character growth shown here too, with love and laughs, friendships made and broken as well as endless scraps and scrapes along the way.

Given how scared I was as a Solo fanatic that this film wouldn't work and that there is only one man who can be Han, couldn't have been more wrong, Alden absolutely smashes it, he doesn't do a McGregor and try to impersonate the previous actor (which Ewan failed miserably at) and it makes for a much more powerful and believable performance all round. To the point that Ford is forgotten after mere minutes and you are taken on a new journey with out missing a beat. Sure he pulls out some very cleaver nods to the previous mannerisms, a lean on the door way to the cape-room is picture perfect repetition, elsewhere though its all new, but in the same vain.

The Indiana Jones idol in Dryden Vos' museum like office within his yacht, couldn't be better placed really as this is in many many ways more like an Indi movie than a Star Wars one... not a bad thing at all, it was very refreshing to not have 'the force', lineage questions and Lightsabers littering the screen and mind. All this has made for a multi layered experience, on the surface it is in fact a more throw-away experience that you can just buckle in and enjoy is exactly what I wanted and I believe the franchise needed... almost a reset after the bickering fallout of TLJ. Below the surface there are some fairly deep questions asked and plenty of possible offshoots that I hope they make individual films of.

Qi'ra, Lando and Solo (pt 2 maybe even 3) as well as a Crimson Dawn/Maul movie all jump straight to the top of the list for me, hopefully a death knell for the utter nonsense of an idea that Kenobi and Fett should be made as stand alone films. Whatever they chose I'll watch it and in some way or other find a way to enjoy it I expect.. It's all Star wars... of course I'll enjoy it...

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Forgot to mention how much I liked some of the pull throughs too...

Lady Proxima - originally appeared as a Holo Chess character
Mimban and the Mud troopers - features in The Clone Wars
Maul - as discussed features in The Clone Wars and Rebels

The whole Canon rebuild is going great for me. Always personally disliked the EU (Thrawn Trilogy aside really) as it was so disjointed, so this new approach suits me. I'm also really enjoying some of the new writing though, Catalyst was decent, Phasma was very, very good and Last Shot is off to a good start, these books along with the animation and movies are all far more coordinated... best if you can get involved across all media (Jedi Path for example washes away a few of TLJ issues regarding force powers and of course Aftermath covers some of Leia's training in the use of The Force that has again been a TLJ issue for some), but they do stand alone if you prefer one medium over the others of course.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom