So what did you think about Solo: A Star Wars Story ??? *NO* SPOILERS

Pulsar

Jedi Knight
Ten of us went and ten of us thoroughly enjoyed it and 3 of us were not Star Wars fans.

Cazza's brief analysis was spot on regarding influences/references.

Oh and they did oh so well to keep that character under wraps.
Was a bigger achievement than the Vader reveal in ESB due to this day and age.

A total fun honest escapism jaunt!
^^^^^doesn't sound quite right reading that back but it's true.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Great standalone film. Thoroughly enjoyed.

As said, Rogue One fans will enjoy this film, builds the Han back story really well convincing characters that we all love from the OT . Great surprise in there as well :D

9/10 for me

yoda

Sith Lord
weasel said:
I would say the odds are I won't bother with this one, and not even sure I'll bother with episode 9. That last THING has just sapped my desire to see any new SW films. If THAT was the best they could come up with, I'll just hand someone a tenner and ask them to smack me in the face a few times. I'd be more enjoyable and a more productive way to spend my money.

Bizarrely though, I am keen to know what you guys think of it. Without having the plot spoilt just in case I change my mind

I think you should give it a go. For me TLJ was a disaster I felt Star Wars was finished for me. But I did really enjoy Solo and I am glad I got to watch it on the big screen. Don't go in expecting to much just a bit of fun and action.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Hhmmmm. The problem is, if i go and it's as pish as the last turd that will be me done with SW for good. Well, the new stuff, obv the OT will always be the OT. I'm oscillating atm, sometimes I think I might go. Other times I think what's the point!?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
Hhmmmm. The problem is, if i go and it's as pish as the last turd that will be me done with SW for good. Well, the new stuff, obv the OT will always be the OT. I'm oscillating atm, sometimes I think I might go. Other times I think what's the point!?

Just tell yourself it's part of your job, your a moderator on a Star Wars forum you have to see it!

Forget about TLJ, pretend the last Star Wars film that came out was Rogue 1.

Pulsar

Jedi Knight
weasel said:

Hmmm :roll:
Just go already!!
It's a film, you'll either enjoy it or you won't!
I really don't get some people's fear of a new SW film not being as good as they hope or to get the same feelings as when they watched the OT for the first time because you are always going to be disappointed.

I love some and like others.
I loved this.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
It's more how much I hated the last one. I'm not sure I want to give Disney any more encourgaement/money after that. We'll see.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Oh and yeah, I take your point on them not being a good as the OT. I fully accept no film could ever be as good as them in our/my rose tinted eyes.
Saying that though, I enjoyed TFA although it was a rehash of a new hope and Rogue one was a good film. The prequels are abominations, I think most people on here have a low opinion of them. The problem is that last film was absymal AND a ****ing shite film. The plot was more holes than plot. Huge chunks could and should have been cut, there is so much potential with the SW galaxy and so far given free reign George with the prequels and now Disney have royally buggered it up.
TFA was a rehash and Rogue one had only limited leeway as we knew the immediate story before it began and where it would end.
It seems the more leeway Directors/Writers have the more they **** it up. There's quite a lot of leeway with Han's back story.....

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Just got in from watching the Solo movie and thought it was brilliant, well made film, funny in places and full of twists and turns 8) Ron Howard did a great job :D

Davaider

Padawan
I thought it was Excellent, the film grew stronger as it went on. Was always interested in this film once Ron Howard took over

MarkG

Jedi Master
I'm enjoying these 'stories' more than the recent films...

Rogue 1 was a superb tie in / link film and Solo is just as good as a character telling story..

Ron Howard did a superb job with this one and hopefully he'll be at the helm of a few more..

If you've been hesitant in seeing it... don't.. you won't be disappointed.

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Took my wife and kids to see Solo the other night and overall they liked it and were very entertained. My wife even enjoyed it and she is not a SciFi/Fantasy fan at all. We all agreed the actor who played Han did a good job and made the role his own enough that we weren't always trying to compare him to Harrison Ford's Han.

I'll be honest, I was relieved that I could still enjoy a new SW film after my extreme disappointment with TLJ. I came to the realization awhile ago that the SW franchise will never meet my full expectations. I was spoiled by all the great films of my youth (The OT, Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET, Back to the Future, etc). I was fortunate to see them at a time I was most impressionable.

The fact of the matter is my expectations for these new films are lower these days and I'm no longer 10 years old. I never go to the theater anymore except to see the new SW films. Sure I can fight it and make a stand about how everything is garbage these days, or I can take my kids to a movie now and then like my folks did when I was young and enjoy it together. I had a blast on the drive home discussing the parts we did and didn't like and trying to figure out the meaning of certain scenes. Solo is an entertaining and fun ride. It has a few elements that bring me back to the original films I so love, but was different enough to keep me guessing.

At this point, I am not expecting any amazing revelations that I can buy into in this new SW Universe. My passion for Star Wars lies in the OT and always will. I still have the ability to compartmentalize elements (or entire films in at least one or two cases) if I don't like something. I prefer that many of the questions out there remain unanswered as it ads to the mystique of the SW Universe. That being said, I have enjoyed 3 of the 4 new films for what they are.

TEEBO1979

Padawan
Thank God for Ron Howard. What an excellent movie. Just what a Star Wars film should be, highlights even more how terrible TLJ is. It was well written, Directed and acted.
If you let TLJ stop you from seeing this movie then you will be cutting your nose off to spite your face.
I put this on a par with Rogue One.

Pulsar

Jedi Knight
TEEBO1979 said:
Thank God for Ron Howard. What an excellent movie. Just what a Star Wars film should be, highlights even more how terrible TLJ is. It was well written, Directed and acted.
If you let TLJ stop you from seeing this movie then you will be cutting your nose off to spite your face.
I put this on a par with Rogue One.

Agree with all you say, good post!

yoda

Sith Lord
Just back from my second viewing and I still love it. I rate this one above R1 and it shows these movies can still be made for everyone to enjoy.

indianawars

Sith Lord
I watched a couple videos on youtube this morning, and It's really starting to infuriate me how these people seem to think that they can pass judgment on a movie they haven't seen because they're "boycotting" it. Yes, a lot of us were disappointed by TLJ, but that doesn't mean you should start tearing down another movie when you haven't seen it. I've seen Solo twice now, and I thought the first viewing was brilliant, but the second viewing was fantastic! These people aren't the "real" fans like they portray themselves to be. They're a bunch of whiny, self-centered trolls that have nothing better to do. Those that can't do, criticise.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Me, me, me society as well

People and society being
egotistical
greedy
narcissistic
self-centered

All the things I dislike, good old fashioned values need a come back, stop with all the reality TV and so called celebrity.

Old man rant over !

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom