Patience Pays Off - The Ebay Good News Bargain Thread

tigerham

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
Lets give this a well deserved bump for this bargain of a pick up :!: :!:
Not my good fortune by the way.

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-star-wars-figures-mint-condition/183108856891

:shock: BIN with an inexperienced seller and a quick eyed buyer. Fair play and good luck to the buyer.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
My throat went dry... :eek:
Holly cr*p someone got the deal of a life time!
Just been looking for his other listings... :lol:

I wonder if this is a pissed off partners revenge :?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
My throat went dry... :eek:
Holly cr*p someone got the deal of a life time!
Just been looking for his other listings... :lol:
I was just about to post,

'Let's hope being an inexperienced seller doesn't make him an inexperienced packer... Hmmm, postage charges of £2.90. Do I smell six MOCs being shoved into a large Jiffy bag? :shock:'

but then I noticed that the buyer has already left positive feedback saying 'Great item just as described,' so I guess they got a bargain and good packing!... Lucky git! :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
'Let's hope being an inexperienced seller doesn't make him an inexperienced packer... Hmmm, postage charges of £2.90. Do I smell six MOCs being shoved into a large Jiffy bag? :shock:'

Same thing happened to me last year, seller listed up 3 MOC's really cheap and when I asked for them to ship them in a box to avoid damage, they still turned up in a grey plastic mailer bag with zero bubble wrap or card..... yep, 2 of them got damaged.

When I complained the seller said it would have cost them more to put them in a box, just ask me for an extra £1 to pay for it for ****s sake, moron! lol.

sparkysx

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Snaketibe said:

Same thing happened to me last year, seller listed up 3 MOC's really cheap and when I asked for them to ship them in a box to avoid damage, they still turned up in a grey plastic mailer bag with zero bubble wrap or card..... yep, 2 of them got damaged.

When I complained the seller said it would have cost them more to put them in a box, just ask me for an extra £1 to pay for it for ****s sake, moron! lol.

Did you take it further?

subzero

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
I only saw the Leia Bespin at first and wondered what all the fuss was about... and then I saw the rest :shock:

Haha I did the same thing, first thing I thought was "hmm that's not worth a ton of money", then noticed the other pics and pooped a little bit!

subzero

Sith Lord
sparkysx said:
subzero said:
Snaketibe said:

Did you take it further?

Yeah I got a partial refund, it was no longer a bargain because the damage destroyed the value, one of the bubbles badly lifted on the bottom left corner because the corner of the card got really curled up, another bubble got crushed and cracked. The partial refund still made it a worthwhile purchase luckily enough only due to the most expensive MOC not getting damaged, but the real shame is the other 2 MOC's are now permanently damaged forever due to a complete idiot who wanted to save £1 or £2 on postage. :evil:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
subzero said:
sparkysx said:
subzero said:

Did you take it further?

Yeah I got a partial refund, it was no longer a bargain because the damage destroyed the value, one of the bubbles badly lifted on the bottom left corner because the corner of the card got really curled up, another bubble got crushed and cracked. The partial refund still made it a worthwhile purchase luckily enough only due to the most expensive MOC not getting damaged, but the real shame is the other 2 MOC's are now permanently damaged forever due to a complete idiot who wanted to save £1 or £2 on postage. :evil:
That's a criminal shame :-(

Unless it's a loose figure / something which cannot easily be damaged, I'm afraid I simply don't trust sellers to pack things properly unless I've used them before, and so I always email the seller before bidding / buying to specifically ask how they will pack the item for posting, and then give them an example of what I want, e.g.

"Please can you advise how you will pack this item to ensure it cannot get damaged in transit? Will you for example send it well protected in bubble wrap, and that then placed inside a much larger, very sturdy double-walled cardboard box with good padding on all six sides of the item inside the packing box? Naturally I want this to arrive in the same condition shown in the auction photos and I have had some bad experiences in the past where sellers used feeble packing and the item arrived damaged, which leads to needless refunds and returns, etc."

If I don't like their response, I don't bid, but most of the time a swift reply arrives assuring me good packing will be used.

subzero

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
subzero said:
sparkysx said:
Did you take it further?

That's a criminal shame :-(

Unless it's a loose figure / something which cannot easily be damaged, I'm afraid I simply don't trust sellers to pack things properly unless I've used them before, and so I always email the seller before bidding / buying to specifically ask how they will pack the item for posting, and then give them an example of what I want, e.g.

"Please can you advise how you will pack this item to ensure it cannot get damaged in transit? Will you for example send it well protected in bubble wrap, and that then placed inside a much larger, very sturdy double-walled cardboard box with good padding on all six sides of the item inside the packing box? Naturally I want this to arrive in the same condition shown in the auction photos and I have had some bad experiences in the past where sellers used feeble packing and the item arrived damaged, which leads to needless refunds and returns, etc."

If I don't like their response, I don't bid, but most of the time a swift reply arrives assuring me good packing will be used.

That's a good point about messaging to ask about the packaging before even bidding, iv'e never done that before only ever after iv'e already won, so I might start doing that. Iv'e bought 2 vintage items the past week, one was a sticker album and one a magazine both from different sellers, when I messaged to ask if they can put some rigid cardboard in the package to stop it from getting bent and creased I got no reply from either of them, and they both sent them out without any card in the envelope..... :?:

The problem I reckon is a lot of people just don't realise the importance of preserving rare vintage items, that and also probably ignorance in believing their postage method will be fine so they don't bother doing what we ask.

subzero

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
I bet if you said I'll pay you extra for the protection they might change their tune

:lol: :lol: That's ****ing true right there, you'd get a response back in 30 seconds saying.. "yes sir of course sir certainly sir, anything else you want me to do for you sir? don't hesitate to ask"

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
subzero said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
I bet if you said I'll pay you extra for the protection they might change their tune

:lol: :lol: That's ****ing true right there, you'd get a response back in 30 seconds saying.. "yes sir of course sir certainly sir, anything else you want me to do for you sir? don't hesitate to ask"
I've done that before now as well, and it worked for me. Admittedly I did ask for rather extreme protection of an item I was very keen not to receive any damage, but the seller was great about it. Their auction admittedly did also say to contact them before the action ended if any special packing requirements were needed, but I would have done so anyway. I made it very clear that I was happy to pay whatever the postage came to (£30 in the end, but it was worth it; I requested next day delivery on a very large and heavy box, hence the cost), and the seller was terrific about it. He was a rather rare seller in that he genuinely gave a damn and followed my packing instructions to the letter, and then even sent me an itemised breakdown of how the postage and packing charge had been arrived at (I didn't ask him for the breakdown, but it was nice to see!).

Nevertheless, if you can get the seller to understand in advance of you bidding what you require of them, that you are prepared to pay any reasonable extra postage charges, if necessary, and heavily imply (if not outright state) that if the item arrives damaged due to poor packing you will be returning it for a full refund (I've had to do that before as well), you usually find you'll get the item in the same condition it left the seller ;-)

subzero

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
subzero said:
TheJabbaWookie said:

I've done that before now as well, and it worked for me. Admittedly I did ask for rather extreme protection of an item I was very keen not to receive any damage, but the seller was great about it. Their auction admittedly did also say to contact them before the action ended if any special packing requirements were needed, but I would have done so anyway. I made it very clear that I was happy to pay whatever the postage came to (£30 in the end, but it was worth it; I requested next day delivery on a very large and heavy box, hence the cost), and the seller was terrific about it. He was a rather rare seller in that he genuinely gave a damn and followed my packing instructions to the letter, and then even sent me an itemised breakdown of how the postage and packing charge had been arrived at (I didn't ask him for the breakdown, but it was nice to see!).

Nevertheless, if you can get the seller to understand in advance of you bidding what you require of them, that you are prepared to pay any reasonable extra postage charges, if necessary, and heavily imply (if not outright state) that if the item arrives damaged due to poor packing you will be returning it for a full refund (I've had to do that before as well), you usually find you'll get the item in the same condition it left the seller ;-)

Wow above & beyond, there really are a lot of great and helpful nice sellers out there, unfortunately the stupid ones and other ones that simply don't care can give ebay sellers a bad name which is a shame. But it's really nice when you deal with a great seller who cares about the item and your requests, an itemised P&P cost breakdown is just legendary, don't think iv'e ever seen that before. 8)

r5-d4cus

Padawan
I put this on the new additions thread bit thought it worth sticking in here too, specially seeing how I forgot to post pics or a link in the other one! Scout Walker and falcon both in nice condition but missing some parts for £5.50.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/orderDetails?itemId=253619612743&txnId=0

Attachments

• WP_20180522_22_55_39_Rich.jpg
    WP_20180522_22_55_39_Rich.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,586

subzero

Sith Lord
r5-d4cus said:
I put this on the new additions thread bit thought it worth sticking in here too, specially seeing how I forgot to post pics or a link in the other one! Scout Walker and falcon both in nice condition but missing some parts for £5.50.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/orderDetails?itemId=253619612743&txnId=0

Sweet deal, well done! 8)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom