Empire strikes back with adverts

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Dr_Ball_MD said:
I'm getting no picture on the Empire & Jedi downloads, just audio. What am I doing wrong!?

I'm definitely no expert in these matters, but I used VLC Player to view the MKV files and it seemed to work fine.
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Either that or try updating your graphics card drivers. Possibly an outdated Codec that needs updating????

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Twin30mm said:
Dr_Ball_MD said:
I'm getting no picture on the Empire & Jedi downloads, just audio. What am I doing wrong!?

I'm definitely no expert in these matters, but I used VLC Player to view the MKV files and it seemed to work fine.
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Either that or try updating your graphics card drivers. Possibly an outdated Codec that needs updating????

Cheers I'll look into that :D

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
I'm now writing reviews for Jedi news and have moved onto doing a few articles! Here's my latest one all about this journey!

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/film-music-tv/articles/raiders-lost-vhs-star-wars-original-trilogy/

subzero

Sith Lord
I remember sitting in excitement with my xmas toys waiting to watch Star Wars come on TV on boxing day, I remember watching it ( can't remember which of the 3 films ) at least 2 years in a row, around the end of the 80's, amazing times! I can see how special it would be for someone to want to rewatch this with the adverts of that time, it's the closest you'll ever get to going back in time and experiencing it again.

Funnily enough to this day I still cannot watch Rocky 4 on DVD without feeling an advert break coming up :lol: about 1990 we recorded it off telly and we had that recording for years. It was one of my favourite films and must have watched it tens of times through the entire 90's, and every single ad break on that VHS is now burned into my mind and I remember each scene when the break is about to come on, so I still see it coming even watching it now and it feels a bit strange when it doesn't happen lol.

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
I'm glad I'm not the only one, just wish I could get the correct return of the Jedi one! If memory serves I imagine that would be the one you watched as they showed that in 1989 and 1990

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Spookedhippie said:
I'm now writing reviews for Jedi news and have moved onto doing a few articles! Here's my latest one all about this journey!

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/film-music-tv/articles/raiders-lost-vhs-star-wars-original-trilogy/

Great article Spooked. Hope you find your version of Jedi.

I regularly scan the Betamax section of Ebay, hoping to find copies of the OT TV premieres. I recently picked up a job lot of Beta tapes that contained the premieres of Jaws and Alien. These tapes are still out there, so keep the faith.

I would still give my left bollock for a copy of the HTV region SW premiere :D

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Spookedhippie said:
Did you get the ones off here dude of them?!

The ones that Chipsteak and ODB uploaded?
Yeah got those. Brilliant stuff. Still can't quite believe they turned up :D
Can't remember what TV region the ANH copy was recorded from. Pretty sure it wasn't HTV.

subzero

Sith Lord
Sad part is with old VHS tapes if you're looking for specific recordings I reckon they'll be almost impossible to track down when you take into account that..

1. They stay in boxes stored away in the backs of cupboards and lofts usually for decades forgotten about.
2. When people do discover them they may never think to save them because nobody has VHS anymore and they could bin them viewing them as 'worthless'
3. If they find them and feel nostalgic about them they will never want to sell them and rather keep them for the sake of selling them for pennies.
4. Time is also running out, about 3 years ago I got some of our home video recordings of my family from the late 80's / early 90's to send off for transferring onto DVD as a xmas present for my mom and dad. It was both home video and TV recordings and they were in pooor shape, 20% full of static and wavy screens, they've been carefully stored still in the sleeves inside of a lid sealed box and in the dark at the back of a cupboard under the stairs, where they've literally stayed since the early 90's. I got to them in time because another 5 - 10 years and they may have been almost completely degraded and unwatchable.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
There is currently a project underway to move all the old Action Force videos over to digital (and DVD too I believe) and they are apparently very good quality. I did all my family ones myself; it was cheaper to buy a super 8 tape player with DVR built in than send the volume I had away; a fair few years back but they transferred very well indeed. Funny how they do look worse though as we get ever more used to HD and even 4K as a day:day medium

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Christmas Day marks the 30th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back appearing on British TV. I fancied bumping this thread accordingly.

My link is still up so here it is for anyone who wants to see 3.5 hours of competely uninterrupted Christmas Day telly, 1988 style, with Empire Strikes Back in the middle of it.

This broadcast was transferred onto DVDR from a Betamax tape, by a greater man than me who deserves all of the credit, and ripped by me, Here's The Empire Strikes Back badly cropped in sub- SD with adverts just like we used to watch

http://www.mediafire.com/file/n1djdmhqfpgkaqc/The_Empire_Strikes_Back_-_ITV_Broadcast_Xmas_88.mkv

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
Already got my planned to watch on Christmas Eve! Still can't thank you enough! Really wish a copy of rotj would show up

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I believe that Star Wars played on ITV around Christmas from 1983 to 1987. I'm not 100% on this.

I definitely know that ESB premiered Christmas 1988 and I'm pretty sure it was on 1989 as well.

Jedi premiered Christmas 1990.

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Grant_C said:
Star Wars premiered October 22nd 1982.

My first introduction to Star Wars. I remember everyone playing it at school the next day, then got my Mum to buy me my first figure, then an AT-AT that Christmas!

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Spooked, ROTJ did show up earlier on the thread. If it's not active then let me know via PM in case I miss the thread. I don't stray here often. It is from the Boxing Day 1989 premier.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom